Thursday, October 29, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: SALTYFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2138

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 4
Total: 4
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Emission Testing and your OBD Port
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Emission Testing and your OBD Port
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

An interesting trip through emissions testing with the FJ this morning.

1. I arrive and find no lines. I drive right in to the OBD-test-only bay. No complaints. I'm thinking I'll be out of here in a few minutes.
2. I am asked to pay $27.75. I do.
3. I get out and advise the tech my UltraGauge is plugged in and I will unplug it so they can run their test. "No, you can't do that. We cannot let you tamper with your vehicle."
5. I invite the tech to unplug the UltraGauge himself. "No, we can't do that."
6. The tech proceeds to complete the inspection, calls over a supervisor type and has him help locate an OBD port because none is evident - as though he never heard a thing I said.
7. None being "found", I am issued a failure report for "OBD results unknown."
8. The tech directs me to go to the office for a failure explanation. I go to the office and wait 15 min. for a tech to walk in from the garage.
9. He begins the canned speech about how to find a repair shop, get repairs done, etc. I tell him I know why it failed and ask if I can just drive back through again for my free retest. He continues his repair speech - as though he never heard a thing I said. (I'm seeing a pattern here)
10. I get back in the vehicle, drive around, wait about 12 min in the line, and pass (of course). And if this wasn't enough, tech #2 had to test my fuel tank filler again, even though report #1 showed that it passed....I suppose I could have tampered with that over the last few min. too.

So much for my first-time-ever driving in with no waiting. Altogether, my "no waiting" visit lasted about 40 min. thanks to the brain dead state robots.

Lesson learned. Unplug anything in your OBD port before you enter the test bay.
Rc_maniac
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

they must only train those idiots to do one, and only one thing. Kind of like an assembly line.

Throw something out of place and they can't think for themselves.

"Robots" is right. they can't deal with anything out of their programming range.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

im confused why you would even do step #8. get your fail. drive out, unplug all items, return to line. save yourself 15 minutes.

on the defense of the "brainless robots" step back and look at the amount of fraud this type of worker must see. slight of hand, replacment gauges, etc, etc. By sticking "to the book" there is no wiggle room, there is less opportunity to defraud an inspection station.

These inspection stations to my knowledge are indpendent, SO if someone gets a passing grade on a fraudulent process, this could lead to steep fines or even the loss of authorization to run an inspection station, your slight inconvience hopefully says that they treat every vehicle the same way, thus they have reproductable/predictable results.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

I went through emissions a month ago. I made sure to remove my scan gauge from the vehicle before I left home, to be sure there was no confusion like this. The tech plugged into the OBD and my dash lit up lights that I have never seen. I asked if his machine did this and he replied, " no way" . When he unplugged, they all went off. He then said, "maybe it does"!

Before the test, I gave him a $50 to cover the fee. I knew when he had to call a supervisor to get change, that was going to be an unpleasant experience.
microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

I went thru with my ODB gauge plugged in and the guy asked if he could remove it or asked me to, not sure which.
WaffleStomper
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
on the defense of the "brainless robots" step back and look at the amount of fraud this type of worker must see. slight of hand, replacment gauges, etc, etc. By sticking "to the book" there is no wiggle room, there is less opportunity to defraud an inspection station.

Step back and look at the number of fucks a state worker gives about whether or not your vehicle is actually within emissions standards. He was a brainless robot, and an asshole.

MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

Cali - I get what you are saying. If they don't want me to touch it once in the garage, he could unplug it himself and there is no way I am playing a game. Of course, they probably don't want to touch people's stuff for liability reasons, so I get that too. They reminded me of the brainless responses you get from tech support people, like Cox, Dell, etc. when you call for support. They have a script, and they are sticking to it. I worked in IT for about 30 years, much of it in networking and architecture (and management thereof), and Cox still makes me "turn it off and back on" when I have already eliminated the first half dozen possibilities. They are robots, like it or not. They need to post a sign, include something in the renewal flyer, whatever. Lots of people plug devices into OBD ports. This isn't just a FJ, offroad, Ultra/Scan gauge thing.
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

WaffleStomper wrote:
calichaos wrote:

Step back and look at the number of fucks a state worker gives about whether or not your vehicle is actually within emissions standards. He was a brainless robot, and an asshole.

So the guy does his job the way he was trained to do his job and he's an asshole? Why? Is it because he won't bend the rules for you? He won't risk losing his job that perhaps supports a family for you?

I think maybe you are the asshole.

By the way the state contracts out the testing so it's not even a "state worker" you're calling an asshole.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

Having worked directly for this state, and as a private contractor, I can confidently say the same number of fucks are given by either party on average, so that aspect is kinda moot.

As for who the asshole is, yes, I don't care what training says (assuming they got any or understood it) or what the excuses are. When you're a paying customer (of a state or private agency, regardless) and you get shit service, that's not acceptable. And the onus is NOT on the consumer (who is being forced to waste money on bullshit regulatory emissions crap in the first place) to fix it, it's on the service provider.

Excuses like that are why customer service is a dying art.

I guess I've been lucky though. I've always made it in and out of my government mandated robbery rather quickly and painlessly. The location nearest me (back side of the Scottsdale Airpark) tends to be pretty speedy.

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

This year when I went to emissions ...My gas cap was loose in the morning when I started the car so I just took off the battery cable and reset dash lights ,drove to emissions and failed ,they said the ecu was not saying anything ?
So I looked online and found that after reset the car has to go thru a few cycles of driving ..1/4 throttle ,1/2 stuff like that for about 10 minutes then the ecu has a base line ..dont know if its true but I just drove around for like 15 minutes and went back and all was good .

AZJeepMom84
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

I just had the obd not ready failure this month too. Had to do the drive cycle stuff. .. took like three weeks to fire ready.
WaffleStomper
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
WaffleStomper wrote:
calichaos wrote:

So the guy does his job the way he was trained to do his job and he's an asshole? Why? Is it because he won't bend the rules for you? He won't risk losing his job that perhaps supports a family for you?

I think maybe you are the asshole.

By the way the state contracts out the testing so it's not even a "state worker" you're calling an asshole.

I didn't get my emissions tested, so it wouldn't be me asking him to bend the rules; and I guarantee that no trainer told someone "if they have an ultragauge plugged in, pretend you can't find their OBDII port." Go fuck yourself.

Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Testing and your OBD Port Reply with quote

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: