Thursday, October 28, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Vernon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2152

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 87
Total: 87
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › March 8th, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
March 8th, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: March 8th, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

RESCHEDULED FROM MARCH 1ST TO MARCH 8TH!!
I know that this falls on the same day as the HAM test, but if anyone is NOT going, and is interested in going up to the mining/ghosttown of Humbug (North of Lake Pleasant), I will be heading up there to help the caretaker with the 7th annual open house.

AZBackRoadsGirl Humbug Blog

The above link has a few pictures from my first run to Humbug some 3 or 4 years ago.

The road wasn't terrible last year, but did require high clearance. I don't think you need 4 wheel drive to get there, but if the caretaker allows us to go up the the El Pero Bonito mine, 4 wheel drive is a requirement (or carpooling).

We have a few tours of the area planned, as well as a kids program where the kids fill out a questionnaire and receive a pin as a reward for completing the Jr. Prospector booklet (I'm in charge of kids programming).

There is generally a potluck lunch, or you can just bring your own lunch. People come and go most of the day, but generally we would head out from Lake Pleasant around 9ish. More details on that later if anyone is interested.

Camping has been allowed in the past on that Saturday night - if anyone wants to camp up there, I can ask the caretaker.

Last edited by AZBackRoadsGirl on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

Bobbi Jo, this sounds great! But I am committed to another trip that time. If it falls thru I would be interested in this. Have read about that place and would like to see it.
AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
Bobbi Jo, this sounds great! But I am committed to another trip that time. If it falls thru I would be interested in this. Have read about that place and would like to see it.

It happens every year, first weekend of March - so if you can't make it this year, we'll be going again next year. It is really an interesting place to go visit, if for nothing else than the well-preserved Arizona pioneer history. As long as the owners don't sell, I think we'll be able to go!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

Ditto what Mod_Muscle said

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Double_A
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

If I'm already moved into my new house, and I can still afford the gas, I'd love to take my daughter to this. It sounds like fun.

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

I'd like to learn how to pan for gold.

www.windwalkerexpediti...ne-arizona

AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

azflycaster1 wrote:
I'd like to learn how to pan for gold.

If the Humbug Creek is running, Dave shows how to pan. If not, he shows how to sluice pan (I think that's what it's called...I could be way off base).

AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

Reminder - this Saturday - if anybody wants to go, all are welcome. You can come up most anytime during the day, but I will probably be leaving the Lake Pleasant area around 9:00 or so. If anyone wants to go up with, let me know!

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

some GPS coordinates and or directions would be helpful for people trying to plan for this event. The blog post mentioned above doesnt detail the directions.

I did find this:
4wheelingarizona.org/h...creek.html
AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

I'm sorry - here are some coordinates:

Ghosttown itself: N34°03'15.44" W112°19'12.05"
Point where you turn off of Cow Creek Road (CK Backroad): N34°00'13.48" W112°19'12.05"
Place where we usually meet up (there isn't a "we" this year - it's probably just me right now): N33°54'14.64" W112°19'33.45"

This coordinates are from Google Earth.

Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: March 1, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

We went through the town of Humbug and also to the mine about 3 years ago. Dave gave us the royal tour. He probably still has the Mustard colored FJ 40 too. It was awesome to walk in the mine with the mine cars still there and go all the way to the mine shaft, where you park your rigs above. Definitely need some light . We even saw a hanging petrified bat Shocked . It was a well worth the day spent exploring the area. I would do this again. I will have to check my schedule .

I am in competition with no one
I have no desire to play the game,
of being better than anyone
I am simply trying to be better,
than the person I was yesterday
AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: March 8th, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

This was rescheduled to March 8th due to the rain this past weekend. My daughter and I tried to go out, and were sliding around so much, I came back. Didn't want to go out there by ourselves and get stuck with no help.

SO - if anybody wants to go - we're headed out this Saturday!!!

Double_A
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: March 8th, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

I fogot about this. Maybe I can convince my wife to hold off an extra week to move into the new house (doubtful). We probably won't be able to make it though.

duner
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: March 8th, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

I will check with wife, I keep saying we won't go wheeling but we keep doing trips and not work around house! Sounds fun I will let you know by Thursday!
Trounce
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: March 8th, 2014 - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

Where exactly is this trail set...im not that familiar with AZ yet.

Pure FJ cowl lights and Rigid dually spots.
Falcon Fabrication Rear shock skids, upper/lower link skids.
General Tire A
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: