Thursday, October 28, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Vernon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2152

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 82
Total: 82
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this?
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

I am a newbie/beginner - I've had my 2007 FJ only out on the Maggie Mine Trail, Castle Hot Springs Road, and the road to Humbug. I didn't go into 4L on any of these. I had no difficulty on any of them. I do not yet have off-road tires (Christmas bonus will be buying those).

But my daughter and I are wanting to find another trail we've never been on (I had done all those previously on a quad), and I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on the Sheep's Bridge trail from Cave Creek, Table Mesa, or Bloody Basin Road - any or all three. My basic question is - can an unexperienced off-roader handle these trails?

If no, does anyone else have any suggestions for destination-type off-roading that is mild for the time being, and close to Phoenix? (My definition of destination off-roading means something at the end to see/do - in this case, sheep's bridge and/or the hot spring.)

I have many more trails I want to try, but am waiting for my brother to get home from his work assignment to help me with all of this. He drives a 1970 International Scout. Very Happy

Thank you in advance, and I hope I posted this in the right place.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

Come camping at Jackson Cabin. You won't regret it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

Sheep's Bridge trail from Cave Creek, Table Mesa, or Bloody Basin Road:
All three have been done in a stock FJ.
Cave Creek entrance is easiest, then Bloody Basin..but very long.
Table Mesa the roughest.
All three are one way in/back out ,,,GPS or take someone thats been and knows the route.
DO NOT go alone (single vehicle)

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

I often run from Carefree, up 7 Springs to Sheep Bridge then back out Bloody Basin in several vehicles over the years. Not once have I NEEDED 4WD or anything other than stock tires. I've seen regular cars out there but I wouldn't advise that. It's a scenic drive with a nice place to swim Smile

Also, what Jimbolio said.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

Montana Mountain (Superior) is scenic and a leisurely drive up and down.
Senator Highway is also a good scenic trail.
Anything on the Rim (FR300) is going to be the same with epic views as well.

Welcome!
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

C-Fish wrote:
Montana Mountain (Superior) is scenic and a leisurely drive up and down.
Senator Highway is also a good scenic trail.
Anything on the Rim (FR300) is going to be the same with epic views as well.

Welcome!

+1 to Montana Mountain. Spectacular views and a great place to take your ham test. =)

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
krzyaz
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

I ran the Coke Ovens on stock tires and suspension. The Gila River might be a bit high right now so you might have some difficulty crossing. I don't know for sure though.

I don't recommend doing any (difficult for you) trails alone, especially if you're going to be out of cell range.

Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

I just ran Sheeps Bridge last weekend. No problems at all. Just a bumpy road, about 35 miles if you start at Bloody Basin. Fun run though. I liked the Bridge
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

If you did Castle Hot Springs Rd. then you were very close to Buckhorn Rd. and also the Backway to Crown King. The backway is a little less maintained than the roads you listed off but can easily be done in a stock FJ. There are a few of us that enjoy running that trail. If you wanted to make a long day of it you could run the Backway up to Crown King and then catch the Senator Highway as CFish suggested and run it to Prescott. Great day trip.
AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

Thank you everyone...

kryzaz - I have done the Coke Ovens from Battleaxe and from Box Canyon - never across the river - it's always been way to high and swift when I've been there. When I ran the roads, I was on a quad, however. The route from Box Canyon stressed me out a great deal...but I was new to the quads then...

FatRat - I've done Buckhorn in my brother's Scout, and I've done the backway to CK lots of times - in trucks, and on quads. Problem is, with the exception of the quads, I've never been the driver. The backway to CK changes every year, and I've been making that run since the early 90's...

Going to have to try Montana Mountain sometime. For now, I'm doing the Jackson Cabin excursion in October!!

Thanks again everyone!

usmc47
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

Ive cruised out to sheeps bridge solo with jus the wife and dog, easy day. I even found n old lady out there in a lexus car lol. No cell service long drive but fun. Either way u go not to hard jus follow the main road. I seen all kinds of stock suvs out there, jus dont tryn cross the river alone. I thought about it but im far from stock. Smile

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

Coming from Prescott on the Senator Highway, I was happy that I had my GPS. There were Several forks that looked as traveled as the other and I might have gotten lost. BUT...It was a beautiful drive and I spotted a Bobcat near Goodwin..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep's Bridge - Can I do this? Reply with quote

Coming from Prescott on the Senator Highway, I was happy that I had my GPS. There were Several forks that looked as traveled as the other and I might have gotten lost. BUT...It was a beautiful drive and I spotted a Bobcat near Goodwin..

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: