Thursday, October 29, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: SALTYFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2138

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 9
Total: 9
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Trailer Services
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Trailer Services
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Trailer Services Reply with quote

I just bought a travel trailer and need to get some work done on my Silverado to tow it. I need a new electrical connector and electric trailer brakes installed. Does anyone know of a good trailer services shop - preferably on the Wessside? Thanks!
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Uhaul

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
n8tiveFJ
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

I did a prodigy controller on my sierra. Was very easy since it plugs right into your harness just above fuse box. Hardest part is mounting the controller. Check this out.

www.pirate4x4.com/tech...h/Prodigy/

I bought mine at etrailer.com

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

I agree, etrailer has a huge selection. I've bought parts from them and will do so again.

Auto Saftey House is a shop downtown that has tons of trailer and towing supplies. They also do maintenance and custom jobs, if you don't want to pull your own hubs apart and such. I would recommend them.

There's another place called "B&M Bumper and Hitch" that I've bought parts from too. They have two spots. One was conveniently near my work, up at Grand and Bell where I bought the parts, and the other is the custom shop on Grand somewhere in Glendale. The guy in Glendale helped me get my weight distributing hitch adjusted correctly. He didn't blink when my trailer weight was clearly over the recommended limits.

As far as brake controllers go, I'd throw in a pitch for "Max Brake". That's the one I put on my Tundra when I first started towing the rock buggy. There's a reason I would advocate for this design.

The Prodigy, and other controllers like it are based on an internal sensor that detects accelerations. When you step on the brakes and your tow rig starts to slow, the brake controller "feels" it, just like your body does, by it's mass pressing forward within it's restraints. It then controls a variable power output to the trailer brakes, proportionate to it's accelerometer reading and a gain setting. These units are stuipd simple to install because they only have to plug into the wiring harness for the trailer connector, and you're done.

The system works great as long as you're driving on a high traction surface and when you apply the brakes, you actually DO slow down.

The trouble, of course, is when you start to slide.

Picture a situation, towing on a dry dusty dirt road and you're coming around the bend going downhill, and all of a sudden there's an up-going vehicle that's not over far enough to let you by...

The Max Brake unit works with a sensor that goes inline between the brake master (or booster) and the brake line. It detects what you're INTENDING to do, whether it's working or not. The output to the trailer is based on a calibrated reading of your foot pressure on the brake pedal and a gain control.

If you're braking and sliding, and your trailer brakes don't detect it, then the trailer is just rolling along and pushing you into a jackknife.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Most brake controllers come with a wiring diagram, 3-4 wires total. You can do that part yourself. But the hitch wiring has to be tied in to the lighting harness and could unravel on you in a hurry, I would call around to some uhauls and trailer-RV companies to check their prices!

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Not a fan of Uhaul, although I called several just to see about getting the trailer light connector rewired before I towed the trailer home. I called several stores and each time I encountered idiots, and nobody available to deal with wiring. I asked about a simple converter to go from a 4-wire flat connector on my pickup to the 7 blade connector on the trailer and everyone I talked to acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. If no such thing exists, they could have just said so. I appreciate the recommendations on the shops and e-brakes. This is certainly helpful!
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

I have one you can borrow, my truck is a Chevy

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Or if you need me to tow it some where I can do that to, I have a diesel that can tow just about anything! Pm me if you need assistance!

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

I also have the adapter you are welcome to use it.

and yes I know for a fact that uhaul has the same adapters they always try and sell me one.

MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Oki/Bryan - thanks, appreciate that! I actually did the towing already and go the trailer home. No lights, but I had my wife driving behind me the whole way. Bryan/Oki - is your adapter 3-male and one female on the flat connector side, and male on the 7-blade side? If so I could certainly use it until I get my truck's connector permanently changed over. Then I would at least have brake lights and turn signals!
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Yes, I'm not using mine and your welcome to it!

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Oki - that's awesome. Sending a PM in just sec.
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Adam! Too bad it didn't work - maybe my current truck wiring was something weird. Good to meet you though! I just got off the phone with B&M and will be going to see them Monday morning so it's all good.
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Sorry mine didn't work out, maybe someone has that 1970's plug your looking for. Lol j/k

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Services Reply with quote

Chuck, be care if you are going to run the adapter. A 4 pin will only supply power for the lights. If your trailer has a 7 blade round then it has trailer brakes. With the adapter you will not be providing power for the brakes and they will be inoperable. Just a heads up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: