Wednesday, September 22, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Achery1
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2148

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 99
Total: 99
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Short Notice Trip and ideas
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Short Notice Trip and ideas
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunnermoose
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Short Notice Trip and ideas Reply with quote

My son and I have a few days starting Thursday afternoon to escape the rat race. We plan to go north to also escape the heat.

Does anyone know the status of primative camping up around Soldier Lake and Long Lake (Red, Tremaine Lakes) areas or the Kinnikinick, Morton and Cow Lake areas?
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Notice Trip and ideas Reply with quote

I'm headed up there to fish on the 27th. Going to spend a day or two near Long Lake and the head up to lake marry. From everything I've read primitive camping is still fine. There's tons of spots around there just no fires.

Gunnermoose
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Notice Trip and ideas Reply with quote

Thanks.

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Notice Trip and ideas Reply with quote

look up the website for that particular forest and check out the rules for camping. Dispersed camping is still OK, just some rules now. Not all places are open to camp. Also, make sure you look at the management plan to see what roads are open. You get caught on a closed rode and it will hit the wallet.
bushwacker
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Notice Trip and ideas Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
look up the website for that particular forest and check out the rules for camping. Dispersed camping is still OK, just some rules now. Not all places are open to camp. Also, make sure you look at the management plan to see what roads are open. You get caught on a closed rode and it will hit the wallet.

Most of the roads are open, the ones that are NOT have big gates, locks and signs. However, if you can gain access to a road and it ends up being closed, you my just have to treck out the way you came and play dumb.

Fires are prohibited in Coconino and Tonto as of 8am Today 6/19/13.

I like to put my Coleman Lantern in the fire pit and drink until it looks like a campfire then once wasted kick over my lantern out of spite and go to bed early

See rules:

Fireworks, exploding targets, and incendiary devices prohibited at all times

Drought conditions, hot temperatures and increased fire danger have resulted in elevatedfire restrictions for the Tonto National Forest beginning at 8 a.m., Wednesday, June 19. Most types of fire or fire-causing activities will be prohibited across the Tonto National Forest.

The following are prohibited:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove, anywhere on the forest, including fires in developed campgrounds.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
3. Discharging or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device.
4. Discharging a firearm, except while engaged in a lawful hunt.
5. Using an explosive. An explosive is defined as any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion.
6. Operating a chainsaw, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine.
7. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame.

Exceptions to the restrictions include the following:
1. Operating or using a motor vehicle, boat or other watercraft, or any other internal combustion engine, with a spark-arresting device properly installed, maintained, in effective working order, and meeting established safety standards.
2. Residents, owners or lessees of land, and holders of Forest Service special use authorizations within the restricted area are exempt from prohibition number 1 (building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or wood or charcoal-burning stove) provided such fires are within a permanent structure (e.g. dwelling) and a spark-arresting device is in use.

“Because of ongoing drought, dry forest conditions, and exceptionally low relative humidities, fire restrictions are needed to protect forest users, structures and natural resources from the increased potential for dangerous wildland fires,” said Tonto National Forest Fire Staff Officer Clay Templin. “These precautionary measures are intended to enhance our visitors’ quality recreation experiences. Most areas of the Tonto National Forest remain available for recreation activity, including all the Salt River system lakes.

“We continue to remind the public that all fireworks and all explosive and incendiary devices are prohibited on the forest at all times,” concluded Templin.

Violation of these restrictions is punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 for individuals, $10,000 for organizations, and imprisonment for up to six months.

For more information regarding forest recreation sites and fire restrictions, please contact the Tonto National Forest at (602) 225-5200, or check online at

Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Short Notice Trip and ideas Reply with quote

^^^^^^Good info wacker of bushes. Still check the travel maps as roads could be closed and not marked. If it's on the map it is open, if not it's closed.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Gunnermoose
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Notice Trip and ideas Reply with quote

Thanks, I have the current version of MVUM for Cocnino. Looking at the Rock Crossing area for the first night. Then off to the Lake Mormon area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: