Thursday, January 20, 2022

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Rebeccajc2
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2156

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 46
Total: 47
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: 4GaugeSurprise > Home

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirt4dinner
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, these cables are to brush aside tree limbs and the suck, correct?

Are these commercially sold someplace, or this is a DIY trip to Home Depot for the supplies?

Thanks.

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

That's right, they're often called "limb risers." Concept is they'll lift a branch over the top of the vehicle instead of crashing into the windshield.

Most important thing though is that they look REALLY COOL. Very Happy

They may be sold somplace, but for how simple it is seems like DIY would be the way to go.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Dirt4dinner
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack Reply with quote

I just realized I put "suck" instead of "such" in my first post. I'm an idiot.

They do look cool! I have been thinking about hooking up the ol' Runner with a set. Looks simple enough to figure out. They are probably for sale someplace. Who has the blue FJ That was on the recent Mt. Expedition...he has them. Speak up kind sir, where did you score those nifty cables?

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

That's the R2 mobile, Miss R2 made those... DIY job, with a nifty built in length adjustment thingy!

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack Reply with quote

Ahem, yes, that would be me.....kind sir.....this is totally a do-it-yourself job. Nobody out there for any kind of truck makes them. Why? Because there are endless amounts of front bumper/roof rack combos. There would be no way to sell a kit.

This was pretty much a work in progress, I ended up going to 4 hardware stores before finding everything to do it just right. We didn't want to drill a hole in the bumper to attach it and there was no option for us to weld some kind of loop or whatever, so the connecting it to the bumper thing was a bit of a challenge. I finally found some awesome guys at Evergreen Hardware who were into it and helped me find the right stuff. As a matter of fact, just Monday one of them pulled up next to me at a stop light and was so excited to see the project completed!

I will do a write up on this tonight when I get home from work so you can see what kind of materials I used.

Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

Atta' kid! Write ups are sweet! I can't wait!

Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack Reply with quote

Ok here we go! Limb Riser install:

So as I mentioned before, this is very much a custom do-it-yourself project. It all depends on what kind of front bumper and roof rack you have. I wanted to do this for a while, but it is pretty much impossible with the stock roof rack, so as soon as we got the ARB I could do my project. The FJ stock roof rack attachment points sit too far back to be able to connect cables without them hitting the roof. This may be possible if you have an air dam or maybe a light bar, but I'm not sure you will have to experiment with that.

As for the bumper attachment, you have several options: you can drill a hole in the bumper, you can weld some kind of loop attachment to it (damn those Land Rover drivers who get limb riser loops!), you can loop the wire around itself to attach it to the bumper, or you can find some device to attach it to.

Initially I went with the loop it around itself method, but we were concerned about it slipping under weight of brush and trees, so I axed that idea and went with trying to find a device to attach it to. I tried desperately to find P-Clamps large enough to go around our bumper, but to no avail, so I ended up going with these clamps:

I spray painted them black with engine paint, put rubber tape on the underside so as not to scratch the bumper, and attached them using locking nuts. The hole had to be drilled out a little bit in order to attach the carabiners, which I chose to use so we could make it a quick release system. Basically there is no way to attach these to the FJ and still open the hood, so being able to disconnect them easily was key.

The wire I picked up at Home Depot, its 1/8th inch metal wire with a vinyl coating on it...about .36 cents a foot. I used Ferrele and Stop sets to make a loop out of the wire as you can see in the pic above. One loop attaches to the carabiner, the other to a turnbuckle.

The turnbuckle makes it easy to adjust the wire tighter or looser. The other loop on the turnbuckle is attached between the two clamp points on a P-Clamp, which is attached to the roof rack with a locking nut:

The hardest part for this project is making sure you have enough wire cut to be tight enough on the turnbuckle. I suggest measuring, hooking everything up and adjusting the loops to the right length BEFORE hammering down on the Ferrele and Stop sets.

All in all, you should be able to do this project for under $20 and in about an hour or two.

Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

The bumper moves in relation to the body by about two inches when flexing the vehicle off road(hence the big ass rubber bushing between the frame and body).....this could get real ugly when the cable snaps.....let me know when it does....and take some photos Laughing
Dirt4dinner
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up. I have an Mega Warrior on my 4Runner, but I am not sure it sits far enough forward to have the cables clear the roof. I will have to go check it out. Great write up, and thanks for the close up photos!!

crazycarwes
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

I think homedad was talking more about wheeling, where the vehicle sees extreme stresses and twisting and less of what you call 'exploring'.
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

I think they go from the very front of hood to the roof....both on the body....or incorporate some spring into the system ......

And hundreds of people bought FJ bumpers that touch the body also....me included.....and the problems are just starting to show there ugly face.....Now I am in the design faze of giving my bumper some space to move.....

Just thought I would warn you....not dissing anyone.....
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

hmm it's a valid point Kurt. Probably something we should consider. I have noticed that one of our metal clamps wire holders did pull a bit free and I was trying to figure out how that was possible. I haven't seen any spring mechanisms on the other vehicles out there, but it isn't a bad idea to investigate some kind of insurance there. Thanks for the heads up.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

I've always wondered about this myself... it is a VERY valid point, what homedad brings up.

It seems like it's done both ways. Older trucks like old Land Rovers or something that have gigantic metal fenders that extend way up to the front of the truck do tie them from the roof rack to a point on the corner of the fender...

But if you do a Google image search you'll find tons of super hardcore expedition rigs with them tied from the roof to the bumper, generally an ARB...

My first thought on the matter was "hmm what did they do on the Camel Trophy truck?" since it is a mega stupid hardcore rig...

...buuut looks like they didn't have limb risers. damn!

check out my BLOG

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

Well another option I've seen several people do is they'll make a bracket that attaches to the fender just under teh hood. A little attachment point comes up between the side of the hood and the fender. Using existing fender bolts this might be a better option than the front bumper and available to a lot more people since not everyone has the massive bumper of doom.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The cables that go from the brush guard to the roof rack? Reply with quote

We should do some testing on this... rig up something to my truck between the bumper and body and then I'll go completely apeshit and we'll see how much flex there really is. Laughing

check out my BLOG

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: