Thursday, October 29, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: SALTYFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2138

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 8
Total: 8
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

I have two GoLights mounted up top, and almost simultaneously, they both began having problems with the vertical-motion control. Eventually, they both stopped responding to the up/down control altogether. Working with Mark and Ryan at [O I II] Expeditioneers, I was able to obtain new vertical-motion motors for each light. It’s worth mentioning that Expeditioneers is AWESOME and chased these motors down for me, as well as some general guidance on how to disassemble the lights and make the repair myself. Further, Mark was able to get the GoLight folks to give me a green light for a DIY repair and not void my warranty on the lights by opening them myself (their warranty says otherwise, so be sure GoLight is OK with you making the repair before you do this).

With the motors in hand, I did some research online to see if I could locate any information on disassembly, and came up empty. This is when Mark stepped in for me and got me some good general instructions on what turns out to be a really simple job.

Since I couldn’t find anything, and this might help someone else someday, I decided I would document this simple procedure. I’ve benefited from many other DIY procedures from AZFJ and Big Blue that I thought I could at least give this much back! So if you are in need of some GoLight maintenance (or even a PM cleaning), this procedure will show you how to open the case and service the vertical-motion motor. I didn’t have to do anything with the horizontal-motion (and hope I never do) so that one will remain a mystery.

On each side of the GoLight is a cover that resembles a triangle. Using a screwdriver, butter knife, or other implement of your choosing, work your way up and down along the curved edge to separate each of these the covers from the case. There are no clips - they are just pressed on over a circular piece that is toward the bottom of the "triangle". The plastic that the covers are made of is not super thick, so pry gently and lift to get them off.

With the covers removed, you will see a screw in the center of the circular piece that holds the cover in place. This screw secures both halves of the GoLight case together. Remove the screw from each side of the GoLight.

With the two screws removed from the GoLight, you now have to separate the GoLight upper and lower halves. To do this, you need to press in gently on the top edge, of the lower half, of the back of the GoLight to release two molded-in clips. The picture with the screwdriver pointing at the back of the light shows where one is located. The other clip is the same distance in from the edge of the light on the other side. Release one at a time. As you press inward, just lift on the corresponding corner of the light. Repeat on the other side to complete this step.

The top portion of the GoLight case can now be lifted away, revealing the inner-components. You can now see the molded clips on the back/lower half.

The light itself can now be lifted up and placed aside. You can disconnect it from the wiring harness if you like. I left mine connected and it was sufficiently out of the way for me. When you remove the light, you will be separating the motor's gear from the light's gear-track. There are no loose parts, so have no fear. They go right back together without any special effort.

My problem involved failure of the vertical-motion motors, so here are some additional pictures of the insides, and the motor. As you can see, lots of trail dust has found its way inside. Even if your motors are not a problem, it seems like periodic cleaning is a good idea.

Looking at the GoLight from the front with the light removed, you can see the light-colored plastic mounting structure with several screws. There are two in the base, and four directly behind the vertical-motion motor (these four are already removed in the picture - you can see the screw holes in a square pattern). Remove all six of these screws. The four behind the motor will release the motor so it can be replaced, and the two in the base will allow you to lift the mounting structure so you can remove the motor from the molded housing that holds it on the back side.

Looking from the back of the GoLight, lift gently on the light-colored mounting structure so that the vertical-motion motor will rise above the rear portion of the GoLight case enough to slide the motor backward out of the molded housing that it rests in. When you lift on this mounting structure, you are separating it from the gears under the GoLight that control the horizontal motion. It all goes back in place very easily, so don't worry. The picture below shows the motor already removed.

Here is the molded housing the motor sits in. It needed a good cleaning while things were apart.

With the motor removed from the molded housing, all you need to do is disconnect the wiring. There is a small connector that is simple to take apart. It is keyed, and my replacement motors did not have the same keyed/clip-together connector. They still fit and work fine, but note the orientation of the colored wires so you plug things back together correctly.

Complete any cleaning you need to while the light is apart. Plug the new motor into the wiring harness and begin to reassemble the light.

Be careful not to over-tighten screws because it is easy to do in this plastic.

When reassembling the light-colored mounting structure, put it back into place gently where it reconnects with the horizontal-motion gears on the bottom of the GoLight. Ensure that it has seated completely and that none of the edges are raised when you run a finger around it. Everything should be completely flush, so if it isn't, lift it up and try again.

Once this light-colored mounting structure and the motor have been screwed back into place, gently try to rotate the GoLight left and right (horizontal) to make sure that nothing has bound up in the reassembly.

Place the light back into position (reconnect wiring if necessary). Check to be sure the light's gear track and the vertical-motion motor gear are meshed up nicely.

Place the top portion of the GoLight case into position, starting with the front portion and laying it into place toward the back, where you will snap it down over the two molded clips after making sure everything is sitting squarely all the way around.

Put the screws back into each side of the GoLight and press the "triangular" covers back onto each side.

Some Final Thoughts....

Obviously, this procedure is good for lights that are like mine, and not other models that look nothing like mine.

When I took my GoLights apart, I found that the back portion of the GoLights were quite dirty. I had a habit of turning the lights around to face backwards when I wasn't using them, thinking that I was protecting the lenses from any rocks and debris that might break them. I'm thinking that this exposed the insides to more dust and may have caused the premature failure of the motors. I plan to keep the light facing forward now, and using the covers they came with (until I manage to lose them).

I'm extremely pleased with the assistance from Mark and Ryan at Expeditioneers for their help in getting my warranty repair taken care of, and I am really happy with the service from the GoLight folks. These businesses are deserving of your business.
Rc_maniac
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

Good information.

I didn't know they came with covers. Mine didn't come with one. Sad I wonder if mine sitting behind the air dam will keep it cleaner inside.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

any thoughts on how difficult it would be to refurb the old motors? Lots of RC guys around here that work on motors like this all the time.
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
any thoughts on how difficult it would be to refurb the old motors? Lots of RC guys around here that work on motors like this all the time.

They could fire in a few more KV and really get that sucker moving. Cool
Great writeup and photos, would you consider the basic popping open
painless enough for periodic cleaning? Looks like a bit of compressed air
could go a long ways.

MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

The whole process was simple enough to make routine maintenance part of my list-o-things-to-do. I should have added that it would take maybe 15 minutes per light to tear it apart, clean it up, and reassemble. That's with a 5 minute beer break in the middle. Compressed air would definitely be a plus for cleaning them.

I don't know if the motors could be refurbished or if they are even worth it.
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

Nice write up Chuck!

And good to hear some props for Mark and Finn. They do go well past what is necessary to take care of things.

KF7YII
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

conejo wrote:
Nice write up Chuck!

And good to hear some props for Mark and Finn. They do go well past what is necessary to take care of things.
Seconded!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
bushwacker
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

I just shipped mine back when I began having issues with one of them. They tore it down in thier shop and put a new board in it.

Now I have the same issue with the other one and need to do the same.

They are great to work with.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

bushwacker wrote:
I just shipped mine back when I began having issues with one of them. They tore it down in thier shop and put a new board in it.

Who is "They" in this post?
GoLight or Expeditioneers ?
greenhornet06
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

This is a great write up would have been helpful if I still had mine Very Happy

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GoLight Vertical-Motion Motor Repair Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
bushwacker wrote:

Who is "They" in this post?
GoLight or Expeditioneers ?

"They"is Go-light in Nebraska, super good folks with outstanding service...Of course EXPIDITIONEERS runs just as good a ship!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: