Tuesday, May 26, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Danb
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2125

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 29
Total: 30
Who Is Where:
 Members:
Hidden: 1

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri)
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri)
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

I know it's last minute, but I figured I'd post up anyway just in case anyone has an odd schedule or feels like burning some last minute vacation or sick days =) (I also wanted to wait until after the training course that's happening in the same area was already underway so as not to interfere with that.)

I'm in the planning stages (yeah, this late in the game) for a run though Rug Road. To be honest, I don't have much of a plan yet, other than getting in some challenging wheeling, great camp grub (my friend Danny, of Friday-Night-Fajita fame) is coming along) and some nice sightseeing. Maybe even squeeze in some minor hiking.

Leaving Phoenix Wednesday, returning Friday. I've gone through three or so different triplogs from others that have made the run and am slowly piecing info together from them to come up with some semblance of a plan. That said, this one is gonna be pretty loosely operated, so don't expect any sort of master guided tour shit here =)

So far it's just my rig, and a rubicon. Any takers?

Edit: *facepalm* For some reason I thought that other rug road run was THIS month on those dates, not April. Reading comprehension fail =(

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???

Last edited by Thoreau on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
aduljr
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Yes I will be cooking up some good grub for the trail, I just have to plan it out and make it all fit into one cooler. Smile

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

What, the jeep can only haul beer?

Homedad wrote:
aduljr
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Thoreau wrote:
What, the jeep can only haul beer?

What else is it good for Razz

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Be careful, there are a LOT of ways to get lost out there. The road isn't just a defined path. But this is the Quintessential expedition (Almost like the AZ Strip) where you are on your own. You could easily take the wrong fork and end up back tracking 5 miles.

I haven't been able to find a .gps track but you can follow the whole route on Google earth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

This looks to be an awesome area!

www.sangres.com/arizon...g-road.htm
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Be careful, there are a LOT of ways to get lost out there. The road isn't just a defined path. But this is the Quintessential expedition (Almost like the AZ Strip) where you are on your own. You could easily take the wrong fork and end up back tracking 5 miles.

I haven't been able to find a .gps track but you can follow the whole route on Google earth.

So why not trace it with Google Earth then convert the KML file to something your GPS can use?

www.gpsbabel.org/

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Hoanbosai
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:

So why not trace it with Google Earth then convert the KML file to something your GPS can use?

www.gpsbabel.org/

Bah! a Leaf and a needle and a lil spit is all you need! Wink

Ill admit ive become quite spoiled myself in recent years with current techologies.... almost ashamed somedays to admit I used to teach LandNav lol..

blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Hoanbosai wrote:

Bah! a Leaf and a needle and a lil spit is all you need! Wink

Ill admit ive become quite spoiled myself in recent years with current techologies.... almost ashamed somedays to admit I used to teach LandNav lol..

Same here. I still roll out with the topos and compas from time to time just to see what I can see.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

So yeah, if anyone happens to think about it and is out there in the future, see if you can find the damn tree that stole my ham radio antenna. Please punch said tree in the genitals on my behalf.

Other than that, uber trail =)

Homedad wrote:
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Small/metric assload of pics from the trip taken by aduljr.

pics.allthatremains.or...o+Mamouth/

I don't have many as I was, as usual, busy being terrified of the cliff edges, or just flat out being lazy.

A quick rundown of the trip:

Day 1: Drive from Phoenix to Globe to damn near Safford (well, Pima I think is where the last gas-up was.) From there on to Klondyke on what might as well have been a paved dirt road.

After Klondyke, it quickly turns into a wet/green zone with multiple easy water crossings as you enter the canyons. Camp out right next to the trailhead for the cliff dwellings, and enjoy steak/shrimp dinner =) Note: Not a DAMN bit of radio traffic makes it in/out of that area. Nothing on 2m, 70cm, public safety, or even the weather radio channels.

Day 2: Take the short walk up to the cliff dwellings after breakfast and packing things up. Head out to hopefully find camping location for the 2nd night (hah.) Pass through the canyons and climb out/up in elevation quite a bit, regain contact with the outside world via the repeaters up on Mt. Graham and a few others. Easy 4-wheeling on the climb, passing through a nice old ranch site that had more refrigerators than Costco, but with a little more rust.

Drive right through some semi-thick shrubbery only to have one of the trees steal your dual band antenna. Fucking prick. Find another old mine site with lots of old metal stuffs all over (boilers, hoppers, a safe that has seen better days, etc.)

Drive right past what should've been the 2nd night's campsite thinking that it's too early to set up shop, then conquer a pretty gnarly obstacle of big sharp rocks that appear to be formed into steps from hell (tok a couple tries to pull through this one), then arrive at the nifty saddle between Table Mountain and Little Table Mountain (epic views, and just enough cell service to finally post a pic to facebook.)

Look at maps and wonder where the fuck the 2nd campsite is, but trudge onward anyway. Locate Carpet Hill and realize this is gonna be a long damn day. Learned that lockers are BAD things in some cases as your tail end starts sliding sideways towards the already-too-damn-close edge of the cliff. Carpet remnants failed to aid the ascent.

Finish changing underwear and using a few more boxes of ass wipes, and come across some active mining operations on the way out via copper creek. Find a damn locked gate (private ranch) and turn back around to take the easy way back to Mammoth.

Eat shitty hotdogs at the gas station in Mammoth, air back up, watch the local MS13 gang members roll through in their AWESOME low riders with boom boom stereos at 9-10pm. Decide at this point to head up towards globe to a developed campground for the night. Get there and get accosted by some asshole hoodrat for 'why you be makin all that dust yo!?' (damn those dirt roads...) and decide to try at-large camping north of the highway. Find not a damn campsite, but a HUGE power substation, and bust out the atlas again to find a new plan.

Ended up driving back to the valley and setting up camp at a nice spot in the supes (off of the Peralta road/trail area.) Enjoy tasty fajitas and other foodstuffs, a cigar, and starting the campfire with thermite.

Day 3: Back home.

Yee haw, and stuff =)

Should have a GPS route to upload as well once I find the damn GPS unit.

Homedad wrote:
donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

pics.allthatremains.or...6.jpg.html
sweet pics this my fav..
why no pics of the sweet low lows?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

WOW, someone who actually uses Gallery to manage their pictures. I thought I was the only one. By the way, I couldn't get your slideshow to work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
aduljr
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
WOW, someone who actually uses Gallery to manage their pictures. I thought I was the only one. By the way, I couldn't get your slideshow to work.

I been using gallery for ages. Smile I do need to look into that, I haven't updated it in a while.

donkeypuncher wrote:

pics.allthatremains.or...6.jpg.html
sweet pics this my fav..

That was a night shot that turned out really well. Smile

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rug Road - April 4-6 (Wed-Fri) Reply with quote

Did I see that you kept the shutter open for 8 seconds on those night shots? Did you use an external shutter trigger and tripod?(Obviously you used a tripod). OR does a Canon 5D let you do that on the camera.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: