Tuesday, June 22, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: hasaccol
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2142

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 21
Total: 22
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: CRAZYJOHN > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis
There are three main ways to get between Phoenix and Tucson:
1) I-10; highway = booooooring!!
2) Route 79; nice road, pretty views, very little traffic
3) Willow Springs Road; 50 miles of dirt, baja driving, running over cows

Personally, I take option (3) everytime I can!!!

Willow Springs Road actually breaks off and goes way east... the route I outline here is a few different roads, but I call the trek 'Willow Springs' just for convenience.

I have been working on a way to get from Tucson all the way to Phoenix completely off road, but currently am being stopped by the Gila River crossing at Cochran. If not for that, you could leave Tucson, hop on Willow Springs, hit Cochran, do Box Canyon, etc etc... it could be as much of an adventure as you want!

Difficulty
This is an extremely nice dirt road. The wash crossings can have soft sand, but in good weather I would not hesitate to do this in any reasonable vehicle.

Length
About 50 miles. I generally run this at 30-60mph and it takes about an hour.

Tucson side: departs Route 77 a ways north of town.
Google Maps - AZ77 and Willow Springs Road

Florence Side: the route takes you down the Florence-Kelvin highway which intersects with Route 79.
Google Maps - AZ79 and Florence-Kelvin Highway

The Florence-Kelvin Highway is paved for a few miles then turns to dirt. After a few miles of dirt, there is a three way intersection at 32° 50.094'N 110° 55.979'W - don't go East.

Aerial of the trail:

While it isn't really THAT much of the way on dirt, it reeeealy makes the trip alot more fun.

Pictures
You get to pass through this awesome arch thing!

Coming south is especially beautiful as you dramatically approach the mountains north of Tucson...

Look at how perfect the road surface is - this is a dirt highway, speed is only limited by your insanity and how much you mind hitting cows.

GPS Track
Attached below is a Google Earth .kml of the trip. Enjoy!

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

This looks like an interesting way of getting to Tucson! Road Trip!

Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Miss_R2FJ wrote:
This looks like an interesting way of getting to Tucson! Road Trip!

I almost exclusively use this way to get back and forth, it's so nice... instead of the trip being a stress builder, it's actually a good time! Very Happy

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
FJCarrie
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

It's been over a year since I've visited Tucson, so this trail is a good motivator!!!

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Jessa and I where on this trail once when a storm was moving in, the police was out there to shut it down with there 4x4, I can't remember who was muddier, Pumbaa or the 4x4 Police truck Smile
It is very scenic and the washes can be a lot of fun to play.

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Ran this the other night... what a blast! It appears to have been recently graded, likely in response to rain damage. There are a couple spots where the side has eroded, but they are marked clearly with blinky signs.... otherwise it was fast and smooth.

check out my BLOG

BMAN
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Mike,
There's a linkup at the south bank of the Gila that will get you to Cochran on dirt then you could head south to the crossover at the Florence Kelvin hiway to Willow springs road. Cut about 20 miles of pavement and add about 30 miles of dirt. It's the trail we took on Saturday at AzRocks that took us down Box O Wash. Rain would kill this way but otherwise should be passable. I'll have to try to find you a map.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Mike,
I still have .gpx file for you on Solero/Bull Springs - You going to do a write up on that? I'll just need to send it to you.

Just please PM me a way to get it to you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
DAV-AZ
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Willow Springs Road (Tucson to Florence) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Mike, I am a big fan of the Florence to Kelvin highway. Nice scenary towards the east end just before it hits Kelvin. I also like swooping up 177 past the Ray mine up towards 60. High speed mountain curves. Especially nice on a dual sport motorcycle. I know it won't meet your goal of staying on dirt all the way north, but a nice little trip nonetheless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: