Sunday, July 03, 2022

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: sebastianunderscoreep
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2161

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 63
Total: 63
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Scuba Mod
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Scuba Mod
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

I know some peeps on here have done the scuba mod for the rear diff breather. God help me the write up on the blue room is by Shadow Warrior and now 72 pages long...I'm just curious how the locals hooked this up and if you did any modifications to what he recommends. I've noticed a few different tube sizes mentioned and different unions used.

I'm sick as a dog but if I get to feeling better I'd like to get out to Auto Zone and pick up the supplies needed to do this for the mod day.

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

I think I grabbed the stuff from "The Warriors" list. I want to do it if I make it up to the mod day.
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

You mean these guys??

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

I bought the fitting for the rear diff breather at Toyota 90404-51026 however you can pick one up at any Ace (I just can't remember the thread)...

Need some 1/4 fuel line (non-injection) as long as you need to where ever your going...

A filter if your not going to use the stock one (and a fitting to connect it to the 1/4 hose)...

A couple of 1/4 hose clamps...

a hand full of zip ties and your done...

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

I think the fitting for the diff breather is a male 1/8 NPT to male 1/4 hose but I'm not 100% sure...

You can pick one up at Toyota, Corporate Napa stores, Ace, Cranberies or Hose Power...

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
HOWDY
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

Just got through with the rear diff and e-locker scuba mod.

Here is what I used.

1x 1/8" MIP x 5/16" Barb Air Fitting Brass Part# 17-7707 from Ace Hardware $2.19
Hose = 7' 1/4 fuel line (non fuel injection) from Checker $1.29 per foot = $9.03
1x 1/4"x1/8"x1/4" Vacuum Tee Part# 47332 from Checkers $2.29
10x zip ties, had these laying around the garage
1x Set of 1/4" Ideal Hose Clamps from Checkers Part# 5202v $2.99 comes with 4 clamps
1x Spectre Breather Filter Staniless Steel Mesh (Looks Cool) from Checkers Part# 3995 $11.99

Total = $28.49 plus tax

I have an extra set of everything above except for the Spectre Breather to do another vehicle. You do not have to use the Spectre Breather. I used it because it looked cool. I will have everything with me friday for the Table Mesa meet if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands. $15.00 and it is yours. If you ask nicely, I will help you install it at my house if you need it.

I ran the breather inside the vehicle where the jack is.

Now as for the transfer case and the automatic transmission breathers, I traced down the hoses and it appears that they both go up into the engine compartment. I have the 2008 FJ so I do not know if they did it differently for this year. I did not see the need to do either of these.

Hopefully someone that has the 08 can fill me in as to where the current breathers end at.

2013 JKUR
Bluffin
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

I just bought my parts, 50 bucks total.

I bought most of the parts at Auto zone, 25' Hose, T's and 2 filters. The one part from Toyota for the rear diff, $4.25 special order item, takes a day to get in. The rest I bought at home depot. Follow the first page on Shadow's write up from the blue room. I bought extra not knowing exactly how much hose i would need for the total run. On a side note, Lowe's and home depot do not carry the T's for the connection of the 1/8x1/4x1/4. You have to get those at checker or auto zone.

If you have the elocker you have 6 to move.
1 and 2 - elocker and diff running one hose to the jack compartment (1 filter)

3 and 4 - Transfer and tranny - these are pain but need to be relcoated to the engine compartment.

5 and 6 - Front diff and actuator, already in the engine bay, but they sit low, i would recommend running these to the fire wall connecting into the same hose as the Transfer/tranny. Mine are covered in mud and and i can only imagine gummed up.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Scuba Mod Reply with quote

reviving this VERY old thread. I did this mod back in 2009ish.. the hose used rotten and fell apart in the past year. I was gonna re-run the lines again.. but I am curious

why not use a bellow on the differentials?

smile.amazon.com/Unive...00BWTB0WK/

related thread:
azfj.org/index.php?nam...ight=scuba
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: