Thursday, August 05, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: MizzerO
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2146

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 8
Total: 9
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AZCruiser > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!!
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

IT's BACK, and COVID safe! And EVEN though the Precious is no longer with us, I'M GOING TO LEAD US IN MY GX470 Hooptie car!

With PLENTY of time (2 months)to plan for this: Come for the wheelin', Come for the Scenery, Come for the campin'. But most importantly

COME FOR DUNER

THIS RUN IS OPEN - 29 Spots Remain

For Parking on Montezuma Pass.

This year's run is again special. Mike Schuette, "Duner" on the forum left us in 2017 for higher trails. I'm not sure if this was his favorite run or not but he sure loved to come down to the cool green hills of the borderlands and run with a bunch of FJ's. Duner once winched Jimbolio (me) out of the mud just 200 yards from the border.

Last time we had a Metric BUTT TON of FJ's, can we top the big turn out in 2020 this year?
GPX FILE is HERE: www.dropbox.com/sh/dzf...WT9Wa?dl=0

With all the hubbub about building a WALL the border, aren't you a little bit Curious about what the border REALLY looks like! COME ON DOWN.

WHAT: The MONSOON Duner Memorial Border RUN
RATING: mostly 1-1.5, Expedition style run, but some mountain roads got to 2.0-2.5 in spots. Fully certified for STOCK FJ. (Wash crossings could be a 3.0+ depending on Weather) There will be NEW trails this year.
We'll be running on some of the GHOST TOWN LOOP
During Monsoons, this run was 100% FUN FUN FUN.

NOTE: THIS IS A NEW MEETING SPOT BECAUSE HOUGHTON SPOT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!.
We start out at Campsite 5 on the Gardner Canyon Rd (31°43'15.7"N 110°43'04.4"W) MAP - 4x4 through some backcountry where we'll pop out on AZ82 North of Patagonia. Continue down AZ82 through Patagonia then we head onto the
> Harshaw Road with a brief stop at the Harshaw Cemetery and turn off at
>Guajalote flats, which soon turns into mountain hugging shelf roads. 2010 we couldn't see anything from there so it was a CLOUD walk.
Once back on the Harshaw road - we do some
>Ghost towning - Mowry, Washington Camp, Dusquene, and Finally Lochiel, where we can
>run the border road for a bit. (NOW GREATLY ENHANCED ROUTE)
In 2010, this run involved several raging wash crossings!
L
Once done there, we head through
> Coronado National Monument, up to Montezuma Pass
Down the other side to
>Alternatively, if you need to bail early you can head back to Patagonia on the Ghost Town Loop
>Sierra Vista for some Dinner. AND DAMMIT, NO MUD PUDDLE IS STOPPING US THIS YEAR!!!

WHEN: AUGUST 7, 2021 09:00 HRS This is pretty much an ALL DAY run. 8-10 hours. (<PHOENIX Friendly) (NOW!: 1 hour earlier to get dinner at a descent hour)

WHERE:UPDATED Rally point is at at Campsite 5 on the Gardner Canyon Rd (31°43'15.7"N 110°43'04.4"W) MAP

CAMPING for those so inclined, We'll be camping at Gardner canyon site 5 like 2019. I'll be heading out Friday morning to secure our spot so if you want to come on Friday night and camp out, please do.
31.721344, -110.717948

COMMS:HAM: AZ4x4 channel 146.46 (Simplex)
Possible Repeaters:
Mt. Lemmon 70cm 448.350- 107.2
Nogales 2M 147.180+ (no pl)
CB - Channel 16

CHOW: Bring your LUNCH - bring some $$ for dinner somewhere in Sierra Vista.

Folks who are IN

^Jimbolio & Mr. Spock
^Cactusman
^Toyo22r
^AZBackRoadsGirl
<OPEN>
AZCruiser
^Nimrag
^Nimrag's neighbor
azviajero
kelzfjgirl

kelzfjgirl
^VaderGirl
AZFJ4AK
Finn
^TALON716
^airconditionednightmare
LDOUSN
Nathanslola
GillT
^mod_muscle

^microbe <OPEN?>
^Lemans64
SpoilerFJ84

CampHost

^CrazyJohn

Last edited by Jimbolio on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 am; edited 37 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

In, I’ll be camping.

AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Paul (toyo22r) and I are in!! We will be camping.

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

In, probably coming

AZCruiser
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Right on! We are in! May have some friends join same as last year. Will let you know who. Thanks Jimbolio for leading the way.

Last edited by AZCruiser on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Jim,
Do you want me to post the details up on Facebook? And direct them here to sign up?

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Me and my neighbor are in. , 2 vehicles and 2 camping with trailers.

Thanks
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
Jim,
Do you want me to post the details up on Facebook? And direct them here to sign up?

Sounds great

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

AZCruiser wrote:
Right on! We are in! May have some friends join same as last year. Will let you know who. Thanks Jimbolio for leading the way.
Let me know so I can track spots please

Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Maltajo is IN!
Ill be camping at Empire and meet up with you that morning.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
zzmikey wrote:
Jim,

Sounds great

Done 👍

AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Jim - FYI - 2 vehicles and one trailer for camping for me and Paul.

azviajero
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

Azviajero (Ray & Sylvia) IN, but not camping.

kelzfjgirl
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

We will be there....not camping though....

VaderGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Monsoon "Duner Memorial Border Run" 2021 Aug 7th!! Reply with quote

VaderGirl IN!!! If I have my Teardrop by then I will camp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: