Thursday, October 29, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: SALTYFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2138

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 7
Total: 7
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Inner tie rod replacement - favorites?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Inner tie rod replacement - favorites?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

What brand are the cool kids using for inner tie rods these days?
Same for outers?

It's been over 122,000 miles so far on the factory tie rods and I think I'm going to let them retire strong. Have some really long trips coming up so I'm replacing them now.
I was planning on sticking to Toyota parts seeing how well these held out, worth a couple $$ to just have the good stuff, right? Well, it seems there is some cult of old Samurai swordsmith hand forging the Toyota inner tie rods in their remote mountain village or something like that, judging by the price alone. I mean, they are truly wonderful, but I don't feel like having to lose an eye training to afford one. 4-5x the price of the ones at RockAuto (autozone doesn't even list them). So what's the going wisdom on brands these days?

Equally important: anyone have a brand to avoid?

Thanks.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

Curious myself. I did use an off brand inner a few years ago when I damaged mine. It’s been good so far. But I’m planning a complete rebuild on front suspension steering soon and inners are on my list.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

Historically I have gone Moog

2007-2010
moog-ev800482

2011-2014
moog-ev801007

warranty can vary depending where you buy them from .. so choose wisely (not Amazon)
www.suspension.com/blo...-warranty/

Import Direct is another solid choice
www.oreillyauto.com/de...+rod&pos=2

I'd say stay away from Centric
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:

2007-2010
moog-ev800482

2011-2014
moog-ev801007

warranty can vary depending where you buy them from .. so choose wisely (not Amazon)
www.suspension.com/blo...-warranty/

I'd say stay away from Centric

As usual, thank you calichaos for the detailed links Smile
There is never any risk that I would purchase critical parts on Amazon. I do a ton of stupid shit every day but trusting Amz parts is just too stupid for me.

I do like the Import Direct half shafts I have been using, they seem to make some decent quality parts. But the Moog part you listed is almost half the cost at Rock Auto, and the shipping cost isn't too bad as long as you can wait for ground shipping.https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2013,fj+cruiser,4.0l+v6,3015097,steering,tie+rod+end,7428

To make the whole thing a bit easier, O'Reilly even has the correct tool for the inners on it's loaner program. Sure, you could use a pipe wrench, but that will never let you get the torque to spec. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/evertough-4771/tools---equipment-16488/tools-23747/rental-tools-16837/rental-tools--tie-rods---pitman-arms-20503/485dcd7afbd7/rental-tools-evertough-tie-rod-tool/67178/5632403

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

I can nor confirm or deny .. but when you counter warranty claim the Import Direct parts (half shafts or outer / inner tie rod ends) there really isn't much inspection of parts.. so a person ~could hold the box and in 6 months simply exchange your bad part for a new Import Direst part and now have a new spare on the shelf at home Smile. Or so I've read on the internet. Moral police in 3, 2, 1..
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:

Interesting, the 2007 part you linked is DOUBLE the price of the 2013 part - I didn't even know there was a change.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/import-direct-chassis-4511/suspension---steering-16778/chassis-16549/tie-rod-end-12877/25deeee4d165/import-direct-chassis-tie-rod-end/ax10133/4595971/2013/toyota/fj-cruiser?pos=0

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

yeah I don't think there is a part change for 2007-2010 then 2011-2014. Im guessing the price difference is a catalog error. Amazon set this trend where they track the price at a competitor, if their price goes up, Amazon will go up, then the competitor sees the price increase and their price goes up, and you can see where this goes.

www.fastcompany.com/30...arketplace

www.businessinsider.co...018-8?op=1

www.businessinsider.co...match?op=1

I'm guessing Oreilly is in the same boat. Lucky for you you can buy the 2013 part at half the price!

Or what brand did you decide on?
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Inner tie rod replacement - favorites? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:

Or what brand did you decide on?

Really tough to make a really good comparison of brands with the information available other than just asking here Smile
Looks like I'll go with Import Direct, I've been happy with their half-shafts and that price isn't terrible compared to Toyota. sure I have a ton of cheaper options, but at $53 each, it's worth feeling like it could be quality.

Added bonus: O'Reilly has the loaner tool to make the inner swap easy(ish) (with correct torque).

Super Extra Bonus: I can get 8% back on my Chase card using the chase portal to shop O'Reilly online + an additional 5% back from Chase if I use the Paypal payment option on the O'Reilly site (starting Oct1). Since the Import Direct is the only one O'Reilly carries, I'll go with it. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: