Tuesday, September 29, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: tehhippy
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2136

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 14
Total: 14
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › water spigot that fits Rotopax ?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
water spigot that fits Rotopax ?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good solution of a self venting water spigot that works on the threads of a Rotopax water can? The current version of the can doesn't have a vent making it an extra challenge. Possibly something actually available currently too (that's asking a lot).

Just looking for a little valve for water that is normally on most water containers so I don't have to try balancing the pour spout with one hand while washing stuff in the other. Gowesty has a little kit, but it's out of stock everywhere, has been for some time.
Gowesty rotopax water spigot

Even finding a solid cap for these seems to be a challenge, I don't want to have to insert the stock spout into the water for transport like we do for the fuel cans.

I did not anticipate something as basic as this would be so hard.

Thanks

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

am I over thinking this?

smile.amazon.com/Tomli...B000BARBGK
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
am I over thinking this?

smile.amazon.com/Tomli...B000BARBGK

I'll have to figure out some sort of disk for the center of the existing cap to drill a hole to mount that to. Or find a solid cap to drill. it's an option if I can find all the parts to make it work. The Westy version has a thread adapter that fits in there to deal with the issue.

All the caps that I can find so far to fit this can are the through-spout style..

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

I put one of these on my 5gal water jug that hangs off my trailer:
overlandaddict.com/pro...b8QAvD_BwE

IT works pretty well. (Although I did grind one of the handle ears so it would clear).

Doesn't really solve your issue, I just wanted to participate.

I don't know if this would fit but they do have a replacement cap for their 5gal water jug.
www.vividracing.com/of...71930.html

BUT - this for sure will solve your problem.
koolproducts.us/produc...MIQAvD_BwE

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

tried the koolproducts caps after verifying with them they fit, returned them since they do NOT fit, they are way too small.
It really is a tougher issue to solve than it should be.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
tried the koolproducts caps after verifying with them they fit, returned them since they do NOT fit, they are way too small.
It really is a tougher issue to solve than it should be.

Sounds like an opportunity!
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

3D printing solution perhaps? You check www.thingiverse.com/?
www.thingiverse.com/se...t=relevant

I didnt see anything directly listed.. but

www.thingiverse.com/se...t=relevant

Course threads should be no problem.

don't have a 3d printer? also not a problem
www.allthat3d.com/best...ce-online/

heck even the local libraries have 3D printers
www.glendaleazlibrary...._divTabs_2
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

Try THIS:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

I do not know if the water rotopax has the same size threads as the gas rotopax or not. But, I had a Coleman 5 gallon water jug with the spout. I ended up destroying it taking it apart because I wasn’t sure how to get it apart. Anyway, if you can separate the tap from the Coleman “ring”...it fits in the rotopax gas can “ring”. So if they are the same....then it should fit the water can. And that would give you a tap.
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcuIS7nvT0

I have been collecting parts to do this water tank for my FJ. I just checked the Coleman spout I mentioned earlier and I believe one could do this same mod to a rotopax. At least the faucet could be installed. I’m still waiting on the pump so I don’t know if it will fit in the rotopax opening or not. Once I know I will post again.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: water spigot that fits Rotopax ? Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/v/uqcuIS7nvT0

I have been collecting parts to do this water tank for my FJ. I just checked the Coleman spout I mentioned earlier and I believe one could do this same mod to a rotopax. At least the faucet could be installed. I’m still waiting on the pump so I don’t know if it will fit in the rotopax opening or not. Once I know I will post again.

that's nice, may be a bit more than I need, but still really nice.

At some point Rotopax changed the size of their gas ring, but I know that my 3 year old gas can and new water can rings are the same. I was kinda hoping for a "take my money" simple solution, to use it late next week, but it's not a trip ruining loss. I'm not depending on the pax for primary drinking water this trip. I'll probably end up having to make something with a basic cooler replacement spigot - has to be self venting, new pax has no vent, and figure out something to use to trap it into the regular threaded ring. Not quantum physics, but more involved than I have time for at the moment.

It's kinda weird that an overpriced company like Rotopax doesn't have a thing to sell for this. Yes, there is a market, not a huge market but as an add-on product for someone who already knows the plastic thing business... just not enough potential for me to shift from my current specialty (and I'm risk adverse career-wise for the time being). I will happily field test any prototypes someone chooses to build Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: