Thursday, August 06, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: iubhounds
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2129

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 26
Total: 26
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Northern California dispersed / primitive camp options?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Northern California dispersed / primitive camp options?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Northern California dispersed / primitive camp options? Reply with quote

I'm looking for any good information on dispersed camp or primitive camp spots near the coast in Northern California, focus on short hikes in the redwoods and some time listening to the sea, anyplace nice to pop open the RTT for a couple nights.

National parks are booked full, and we'd like to avoid people even more than usual but we don't have the same level of knowledge of trails or local and state rules on dispersed camps in the Lost Coast area. Trying to make a list of potential spots so we can have flexibility as situations change pretty quickly with closures and outbreaks. USAL Beach Campground is on our list, although last years fire may have the hike nearby still shut down.

We're also considering tying in either a week an aribnb (or whatever rental) near Eureka (or anywhere north of Mendocino) , or if we can find something we can afford, a one month furnished rental we we can work remote and be in the trees on weekends. This will really depend on situations with covid restrictions.

Hoping some AZFJ family can share their spots, or know someone with a rental (PM me if you don't want your secret public). Normally I would have already done a lot more research and planning by this point, but we had booked a vacation in Peru, finally had to accept that's not possible this year. Some time in the redwoods is the closest "jungle like" idea we could think of and it was on our "someday" list anyway.

Thanks.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern California dispersed / primitive camp options? Reply with quote

There's a sprinkling of stuff up near Yuba City on Trailsoffroad.com

Check this area
www.trailsoffroad.com/...l-mountain

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
CRAZYJOHN
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern California dispersed / primitive camp options? Reply with quote

i have family in eureka but they are in lock down??

CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Northern California dispersed / primitive camp options? Reply with quote

We have used this app with great success on trips.

apps.apple.com/us/app/...d698323700

We did a road trip last summer to Tillamook, OR but We didn’t spend a night in that part of CA.

We did stay off of the Rouge River and then on to Tillamook.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Northern California dispersed / primitive camp options? Reply with quote

CRAZYJOHN wrote:
i have family in eureka but they are in lock down??
I'm not sure what today's status is with the virus stuff there, and I will be keeping an eye on that. If I do go, it's not for another 4-6 weeks, gathering information now, then will make a go/no-go decision based on the situation then.

If we can safely and responsibly do a week long, or even a month stay in a rental, it would be a much needed mental break for us to be able to sit on the porch all day, or even work remote someplace cool and humid. Even if the best we can do is a quiet place to camp in the redwoods (or on the coast near some redwoods) for a few days, that would be great. Crowded tourist areas and any public indoor activity is not an option for us anywhere now regardless of what's allowed.

Just like exploring new trails, collect info, plan some options, make judgement calls at the line, be willing to back out if it looks too risky. Smile

I'll admit, been eyeing the Rubicon Trail on the way, but first time + solo + during a pandemic seems too irresponsible even for me.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: