Thursday, July 02, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: PLC92084
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2127

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 31
Total: 31
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

Has anyone swapped out, or at least really looked into swapping their square style ladder with a telescoping style on their RTT? On my older 23zero I have the original 2 section square ladder and I really could use a bit more length on it. I know they sell an add on extension, but I'm not sure if that 3rd piece will fit in the cover properly (it doesn't look like it will). So I'm considering going to a telescoping style and wondering if that will fit properly and if it's actually adjustable (saw one that only locked in full open).
What brands have you used?
anything I should know before swapping out?

Thanks.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

On my old TJM tent, I used an extension with the Square ladder, it just fit on the roof under the cover. Wasn't much effort to put it on when needed. I think ModMuscle can tell you more about Telescoping ladders and his experiences with them.

BTW, I have no complaints with the square ladder on my 23zero. In fact, I drilled some holes in the middle for when the tent is not all the way up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
On my old TJM tent, I used an extension with the Square ladder, it just fit on the roof under the cover. Wasn't much effort to put it on when needed. I think ModMuscle can tell you more about Telescoping ladders and his experiences with them.

BTW, I have no complaints with the square ladder on my 23zero. In fact, I drilled some holes in the middle for when the tent is not all the way up.
Far too often the ladder isn't quite tall enough for us, between vehicle height and the terrain, it's been an issue. I'm also doing everything we can to reduce the number of things we carry, not increase, so I'm trying to find an integrated solution. We usually just camp one night in a spot so everything we can do to get in and out faster is more places we can go with the time we have.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

I’ve had both. But I’m not a small person so take my thoughts for what they are. I did not like the telescoping ladder on my CVT (2011) the steps would slide under my weight and they would be crooked. Add to that the fact the ladder has to be in correct position to lock otherwise it will collapse on you.

The square ladder “worked” better but it felt like I was climbing up a Childs toy! LOL. Hurt my knees too. Due to its noticeable difference in width of steps.
You are not anywhere near as heavy as me so I suspect you will have a better experience than I did with the telescoping ladder.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
I’ve had both. But I’m not a small person so take my thoughts for what they are. I did not like the telescoping ladder on my CVT (2011) the steps would slide under my weight and they would be crooked. Add to that the fact the ladder has to be in correct position to lock otherwise it will collapse on you.

The square ladder “worked” better but it felt like I was climbing up a Childs toy! LOL. Hurt my knees too. Due to its noticeable difference in width of steps.
You are not anywhere near as heavy as me so I suspect you will have a better experience than I did with the telescoping ladder.
Smile

Thanks, this is what I was kind of worried about, the telescope not really being all that adjustable. I'm no lightweight for sure, and seeing that I'm somewhat injury prone these days, I want to know that the ladder is locked into position. We love not having to be all that picky about terrain when camping, just "kindof level" with a rock or log nearby we can use to shim a tire as needed (or just air down to level out) but too often the ladder is maxed out and we need to find a log or something to deal with that (unsafe).

Always something to complain about I guess Wink I'll keep looking at potential solutions to this, yet another issue I kind of created for myself.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

Mark, the square ladder extension was not big and weighed next to nothing.
23zero.com/product/lad...ension-35/

It was a very workable solution when I had my RTT on top of my FJ. I left mine on top of the ladder pyramid style. It stored just fine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Mark, the square ladder extension was not big and weighed next to nothing.
23zero.com/product/lad...ension-35/

It was a very workable solution when I had my RTT on top of my FJ. I left mine on top of the ladder pyramid style. It stored just fine.

Thanks Jim.
I am going to mock one of these up with some wood scraps, see if it fits under the cover while on the ladder, there's a bit of slack there so maybe if I lock it near the center it will work. I can try sizing down to the 24" extension if it's just a tad too tight. If I can get away with that pyramid style, problem solved Smile
I also need to see if I can find a replacement locking pin kit, the plastic knob broke off one. Easy enough to fix if I can find the kit. (that's a BIG "IF").

The Jetsons made all this look so easy.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: RTT ladder - square box vs telescope style? Reply with quote

I've found my 23Zero cover to be very forgiving (I put my bedding in and leave it in.) Plus I leave my tarp folded up on the top and it zips just fine. I have to sit on my tent and bounce to make sure the side straps are as tight as they can be so that the zipper is not strained, but it always zips up for me.

I don't think you'll have an issue with the 2" height of the ladder extension.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: