Sunday, September 27, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: tehhippy
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2136

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 28
Total: 28
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Texas Toyota Jamboree
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Texas Toyota Jamboree
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TALON716
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Texas Toyota Jamboree Reply with quote

Any one been? Anyone going this year? Any tips, caveats?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Texas Toyota Jamboree Reply with quote

www.lonestartoyotajamboree.com/
Never been,
But it looks interesting. April 30 - May 3rd, Gilmer TX.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Texas Toyota Jamboree Reply with quote

Texas in may...... blah
Texas.... blah

Blender
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas Toyota Jamboree Reply with quote

Been in 2017 and 2018. It's a very well run event. Easy access in/out of the park at almost any time of day. Main building has flush toilets and showers. Dinner is provided most nights. Barnwell mountain park is tiny by AZ standards. Most trails are only a mile in length. There were only 2 days of guided trail rides, so if wheeling is your primary interest you'll want to make some friends to get in a full day of wheeling.

Wheeling mostly consists of stock-ish IFS trucks with novice drivers. Roughly equal to a 2.5-3.0 trail in AZ. There is some harder stuff out there that denied me depending which direction you run it. Hard to get lost since it's all loops with signs and ratings. There is a curfew to be off the trails due to noise pollution. I thinks it's 10pm. This is strictly enforced, but traveling on the access roads is allowed any time.

Terrain is gorgeous. Rolling hills with fairly dense underbrush and slightly Rocky terrain which I like. The red dirt gets everywhere. Weather was great in 2017 with a high of 80, but 2018 was a rainy mess. Lots of trails were impassible due to mud, or blocked with stuck vehicles. Didn't clear up until the last full day.

Gilmer is the nearest town, but its hotels are kinda sketch for my taste. I stayed in Longview which is a 35minute drive, but a much bigger town with all the usual stuff. I don't camp.

First year my truck was towed to the event. Second trip was a solo drive from Chandler which sucked. I'll go again eventually.

Main spectator events are the rockcrawl and the stampede. I won the small tire rockcrawl in 2018 since the Texans don't know about rocks. The stampede is a short track with jumps and way more destructive on the trucks, but more fun to watch.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Texas Toyota Jamboree Reply with quote

I went to this event a couple of times went I lived in Texas. I would agree with @Blender . Well run ; friendly people; great vendor engagement, guided and independent trail runs. If it rains (heck even sprinkles) the dirt will be slick as it has a high clay content in it. No negatives that I can think of for the event!

If you find yourself liking Texas, I would also highly suggest this gem:
katemcyrocks.com/

Went to this location a couple of times as well and it never disappoints.
TALON716
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas Toyota Jamboree Reply with quote

Thanks blender and callchaos for the info. I think we are going to go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: