Wednesday, October 23, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Dirtyfj
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2111

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 35
Total: 35
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Front CV axle seal sizes
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Front CV axle seal sizes
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlbinoDyno
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Front CV axle seal sizes Reply with quote

Soooo I got a leak situation. I was offroading, came home, few hours later I noticed oil under the FJ. Checked it out and saw that it was coming from the driver side front cv axle seal. Worked on it with my dad and replaced the seal per youtube. But when we were ever so gently tapping in the new seal, it seated further back than the video showed (and i think from where the old one sat). Put it all back together (having to do an unplanned UCA ball joint replacement too....) and drove it home... still leaking. It seems to be less but definitely still leaking.

I've been looking up different things to check and what we could've done wrong and I found that some people say the left and right side seal are different sizes and other people are saying they are the same... and I don't trust any of them. I'm thinking that maybe I got a passenger side seal when I needed a driver side (although I checked the box again and it doesn't specify a side)

TLDR: Are the sizes different between the driver and passenger side front CV axle seals?
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front CV axle seal sizes Reply with quote

AlbinoDyno wrote:

TLDR: Are the sizes different between the driver and passenger side front CV axle seals?

yes they are different sizes. and I recall the potential for possibly pushing them too far back as well. Been a while since I've had to do them though.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front CV axle seal sizes Reply with quote

Ummm, I believe the only difference is the O.D. You can't mix them up. I just did mine when I rebuilt my front end. Think about it.....the CV's are exactly the same for both sides and go into the same size inner hole.......

AlbinoDyno
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front CV axle seal sizes Reply with quote

fjlarry wrote:
Ummm, I believe the only difference is the O.D. You can't mix them up. I just did mine when I rebuilt my front end. Think about it.....the CV's are exactly the same for both sides and go into the same size inner hole.......

Ahh yes that makes sense, I just wasn't sure with the different opinions online and what went wrong on my install.

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
I recall the potential for possibly pushing them too far back as well.

That actually ended up being my problem. There is supposed to be a gap between the seal and inner lip. I just figured it sat all the way back but I guess I should've taken a closer look when I pulled the old one out... Good to know for future reference though. Thanks guys!
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front CV axle seal sizes Reply with quote

you need two different seals.. well because they are different sizes..

as the mighty Jimbolio said:

azfj.org/index.php?nam...206#227206
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: