Thursday, February 27, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Virginia
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2120

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 20
Total: 20
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › 100% Solar
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
100% Solar
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cruiser.308
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: 100% Solar Reply with quote

Has anyone on here made a switch to go 100% solar installed by SolarCity with Tessa Powerwals? I'm about to pull a trigger on it but just wanted to see if anyone had any input on it.

BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

Maybe Toyo22r can butt in. He's nuts for anything electric

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

Though I do have solar through Solar City with a huge 68 panel array, I do not have the battery backup. Really don't see the need, at least where I live. I think grid power may have dropped 2 or 3 times in the last 7 years.

TLCA# 18990
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

i'm trying to go 100% coal...

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
... I do not have the battery backup. Really don't see the need, at least where I live. ..

The need is cost savings. During the day of course you are running from the panels and if enough maybe even selling some back to the grid.

With a battery... after sun down you use your "free" power stored during the day and blam no cost at night.

So BUY (not lease) solar + battery and in ~ 5 to 7 years all electric is free ongoing.. at least I think that is how the math works out.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

Get an idea of what you'll need here:
https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

I'm not sure, but I think you may still need a connection to the grid, there is more misinformation than facts to be found about that.
If you do indeed need to be grid connected for whatever reason, you usually get shafted under the current rules in AZ. Regardless, I hope to be able to go solar on the next house and I WILL be getting a powerwall or whatever competitor may exist by then. you don't get a favorable rate selling power back to the grid, keep it in a battery and use it yourself.

A lot is going to depend on the efficiency of the panels used, their angle, and the surface area you can cover. Other big factor is how efficient the home itself is.

Long term though, the current combination of solar roof tiles and powerwall batteries seems like a good bet, if you can afford the buy-in.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
toyo22r wrote:
... I do not have the battery backup. Really don't see the need, at least where I live. ..

The need is cost savings. During the day of course you are running from the panels and if enough maybe even selling some back to the grid.

No shit.. but since its SOLAR CITY I lease the system. I pay a fixed rate for power bought through them. Currently $0.10/kWh, day or night. So in MY case, yes, there is no need for a battery and I save a ton over what APS was charging. Win-Win for me.

TLCA# 18990
cruiser.308
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

I'm looking at 100% solar power offset with two Tesla power walls. Just wandering if anyone had bad experiences with solar city and what should I watch out for?
I'm still required to be connected to the grid to sell my battery power back to the grid at peak rates.

Brentphx
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

A previous tenant in my rental house was a VP for solar city. Said their business was basically shut down by the laws SRP got passed here. They had a class action in the works against the state and SRP to try and reverse it, but I'm not sure that ever went anywhere. And along with these laws that locked in the max size of the grid you're allowed to install, SRP changed the 'buy back' rate to almost nothing for all new installs. They gave a 5 day grace period for anyone that had an active install contract, but solar city hadn't signed a contract in almost 2 months knowing this was coming.
cytocycle
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

APS now changed the rules to allow you sell back at wholesale not peak rates.. that was a big kick in the balls. Yeah the irony is also if the grid goes down your panels are worthless in your home to power anything. Stupid hookup setup. If you plan to sell your house before the lease ends you are responsible for bundling that in the sale of your house for the completion of the lease contract or transfer it over.

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

cytocycle wrote:
Yeah the irony is also if the grid goes down your panels are worthless in your home to power anything. Stupid hookup setup. .

Unless you know how to circumvent this on grid tied inverters. Very Happy If sun is shining i have 20kW of power regardless of the grid status.

TLCA# 18990
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
cytocycle wrote:
Yeah the irony is also if the grid goes down your panels are worthless in your home to power anything. Stupid hookup setup. .

Unless you know how to circumvent this on grid tied inverters. Very Happy If sun is shining i have 20kW of power regardless of the grid status.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

You basically have to have batteries in Arizona to save money, but the heat in Arizona is also a battery killer. Not saying it can't be done, but it takes careful planning to make it cost effective. If your doing it to just be off the grid, you city laws might not allow you to be.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
ToyotaRex
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

I've been looking into this. I think the battery's have a cooling system.
cruiser.308
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 100% Solar Reply with quote

APS has been stonewalling me, I've been waiting for permits from them for over a month now, I have all other permits approved within two weeks, then I was also told it will take them a month or more after the installation is complete to inspect the systems and give the permission to connect to the grid. I can't believe how much power APS has over someone's private property.
Is there anyone on this forum that works or knows someone who works at APS that could help me out to speed up the process?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: