Saturday, January 16, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: SALTYFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2138

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 10
Total: 10
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › guitar talk
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
guitar talk
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: guitar talk Reply with quote

I thought I'd start a thread on this and see what happens.

As some of you are already no doubt aware, I've gone a little guitar crazy.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who suffers this.

I've been taking lessons now for about a year. I'm learning classical techniqe and concentrate mostly on that and my nylon string guitars at this point, but I plan to branch out. I also have an electric guitar and an acoustic steel string.

I don't think I'm ready to jam yet... check that... I *KNOW* I'm not. I still get bumbly every week when I show up for lessons. However, that's a goal I have. Eventually, I want to make music with other people.

Who here has guitars? Show em! What about other musical instruments? Who's a musician? What do you like to play?

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

Bass player here. I used to play guitar but never got really good. Been playing bass since high school jazz band. Try learning different scales and getting a good understanding of musical theory. Also you may want to get an electronic click track. It helps you keep the beat. Best non classical music to start with is the Blues. Learn the 12 bar blues as a basis and go from there. Learning the fundamentals of the Blues will set you ahead in playing with others.

Most newer guitar players never learn to keep accurate time which hinders them in a band. Also the bassist keeps the time for the band, not the drummer who may be playing off beat.
AZCruiser
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my guitars. I took lessons way back when, learned to read music and all, and forgot a lot since I did not continue. But I learned enough to get around a guitar pretty good. I also like nylon. My favorite is my Ibanez SC500N. A rare guitar. I also have a Candelas requinto which has a great sound and a 1967 Martin which I enjoy.

mattb
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

You are living in a golden time, amigo. Back years ago, good guitars were expensive and hard to find. (Sure the prices from them LOOK cheap now, but inflation and all...)

I keep finding amazing guitars for cheap now. Even a lot of the under $200 stuff is great.

I have a bunch of stuff. My current go-tos are a Reverend electric guitar and a Fender Mustang bass. The bass - I bought it in new condition with hang tags and case in a pawn shop in Texas. Paid about $200 - less than retail for the case alone! Great bass! MY work-at-home guitar is a 1976 Martin D-18 I bought from a great friend in Texas.

I play as a solo artist. I have recorded three CDs, and perform several times a year - I don't actively seek the solo work. I have a show in February. I also play with Tammy West when she needs me, and am a regular player in Joyce Luna and the Constellations and in The Wicked Bad Girls + a Boy.

Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

I have an old Rick 330 Blond Bass with something wrong in the electronics.

My current playable bass is a Shecter Omen 4 sunburst. For guitars, I have a Shecter C-1 classic and a 1970s Yamaha accoustic.

I have to get the Rickenbacker fixed so I can get my Chris Squire sound on.

In High School and college, I ran a 70s Fender Jazz Bass. I also used a Carven bass for a really long time.
mattb
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

Dravur wrote:
I have an old Rick 330 Blond Bass with something wrong in the electronics.

My current playable bass is a Shecter Omen 4 sunburst. For guitars, I have a Shecter C-1 classic and a 1970s Yamaha accoustic.

I have to get the Rickenbacker fixed so I can get my Chris Squire sound on.

In High School and college, I ran a 70s Fender Jazz Bass. I also used a Carven bass for a really long time.

One of two guitars I have kept since the 70s is a Yamaha FG-180, I bought around 1974. Great guitar - plays exactly like it did decades ago. I recently bought a Carvin guitar - it is freakin' amazing. I had a Schecter guitar for a while - a really nice guitar, but the frets were too tall for me - I kept squeezing it out of tune.

I just looked at a Rick bass wiring schematic - not much there so it should be an easy fix.

Where are you? I am in Tucson.

Matt B

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

Dravur wrote:
Bass player here. I used to play guitar but never got really good. Been playing bass since high school jazz band. Try learning different scales and getting a good understanding of musical theory. Also you may want to get an electronic click track. It helps you keep the beat. Best non classical music to start with is the Blues. Learn the 12 bar blues as a basis and go from there. Learning the fundamentals of the Blues will set you ahead in playing with others.

Most newer guitar players never learn to keep accurate time which hinders them in a band. Also the bassist keeps the time for the band, not the drummer who may be playing off beat.

The importance of keeping time is noted and agreed! I do practice with a metronome. In fact, it's the same metronome I had when I was a kid in music classes, and I hated it with a passion back then. Honestly, it brought me to tears. My mother had it in a dusty drawer and when I started taking guitar lessons, she gave it to me and we had a good laugh (mostly at my expense).

I'm still convinced it has an evil spirit inside! However, now I'm equal to the task of combatting evil.

I've started playing with 12 bar blues on the electric guitar and on my Martin, but my set of 1-4-5 chord progressions is still pretty limited. I understand the pentatonic scale and can noodle around over a backing track. I've got a long way to go.

AZCruiser wrote:
Here's a pic of my guitars. I took lessons way back when, learned to read music and all, and forgot a lot since I did not continue. But I learned enough to get around a guitar pretty good. I also like nylon. My favorite is my Ibanez SC500N. A rare guitar. I also have a Candelas requinto which has a great sound and a 1967 Martin which I enjoy.

This guitar display case is great! Is is humidified? I'm working on something myself and I'll start posting pics when I get home. I'm really interested in the mechanics of the guitar supports in the case. It looks like you have hangers that can move around in a peg board? I may borrow that idea.

I read about the Ibanez... Is that it on the wall to the left of the case? It looks like every guitar in there is classical style.

glideraz wrote:
VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

Guitars !
Heavy Electric Blues Dude Here !
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Walter Trout Etc.
Play Lead
Strat Guy My #1 is a 1999 Elite w Texas Specials
#2, and 3 are American Strats With Texas specials
At one time I had around a dozen Strats, And realized right away I could only play one at a time ,I Sold them as quickly as I got them and Kept My # 1 and Since then bought 2and 3 ! I keep 1 guitar tuned to E flat and 1 regular 440
Rig : 1980 Ibenez Ts-9 Tube Screamer
Vox Wah
Exotic SL- Drive
Voodoo Labs Micro -Vibe
Roger Mayer Octavia
Fulton Deja Vibe
Amps I go thru many !! Currently using a Fender Blues Jr Limited And its Has Good Sound.I play Clean or A Bit Dirty depending on whats up.

Belly Doc Now is the time to Jam ! You are your own worst critic ! doesnt matter how good or new you are its just so much fun to make noise with other people !
I made a trip to Dallas Tx Just to Visit Stevie Ray Vaughans Grave and tour Texas for a week ,I took my #1 Guitar with me ....Below is a Pic.
Never Visited A grave of Someone I never met , never knew or anything .. But the Music and Guitar Style was as big to me and as if I should have known him .. A Very big influence !

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

I bought this in Maui 24 years ago, I think it might be worth something never looked into it because when I drink too much and I'm alone this thing does amazing things! Cool

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

VoodoChild wrote:
Guitars !
Heavy Electric Blues Dude Here !
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Walter Trout Etc.
Play Lead
Strat Guy My #1 is a 1999 Elite w Texas Specials
#2, and 3 are American Strats With Texas specials
At one time I had around a dozen Strats, And realized right away I could only play one at a time ,I Sold them as quickly as I got them and Kept My # 1 and Since then bought 2and 3 ! I keep 1 guitar tuned to E flat and 1 regular 440
Rig : 1980 Ibenez Ts-9 Tube Screamer
Vox Wah
Exotic SL- Drive
Voodoo Labs Micro -Vibe
Roger Mayer Octavia
Fulton Deja Vibe
Amps I go thru many !! Currently using a Fender Blues Jr Limited And its Has Good Sound.I play Clean or A Bit Dirty depending on whats up.

Belly Doc Now is the time to Jam ! You are your own worst critic ! doesnt matter how good or new you are its just so much fun to make noise with other people !
I made a trip to Dallas Tx Just to Visit Stevie Ray Vaughans Grave and tour Texas for a week ,I took my #1 Guitar with me ....Below is a Pic.
Never Visited A grave of Someone I never met , never knew or anything .. But the Music and Guitar Style was as big to me and as if I should have known him .. A Very big influence !

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan at his last show at jazz fest in New Orleans out doors in the rain surrounded by Hells Angels backed up by the Neville Brothers and dr. John. One of the best days in my life.

Also grew up in Chicago at the right time I've seen James Cotton and Buddy Guy many many times in small bars till daylight comes I am way spoiled.

Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

I saw Stevie about 6 months before his death. He knew how to play. When they played Riviera Paradise, the whole place was silent as a tomb for 8 minutes. Ive seen dozens and dozens of great blues acts when I lived in Rock Island. One group that I saw several times was the Paladins. Very cool sound and a great double bass player.
AZCruiser
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
Dravur wrote:

The importance of keeping time is noted and agreed! I do practice with a metronome. In fact, it's the same metronome I had when I was a kid in music classes, and I hated it with a passion back then. Honestly, it brought me to tears. My mother had it in a dusty drawer and when I started taking guitar lessons, she gave it to me and we had a good laugh (mostly at my expense).

I'm still convinced it has an evil spirit inside! However, now I'm equal to the task of combatting evil.

I've started playing with 12 bar blues on the electric guitar and on my Martin, but my set of 1-4-5 chord progressions is still pretty limited. I understand the pentatonic scale and can noodle around over a backing track. I've got a long way to go.

AZCruiser wrote:

This guitar display case is great! Is is humidified? I'm working on something myself and I'll start posting pics when I get home. I'm really interested in the mechanics of the guitar supports in the case. It looks like you have hangers that can move around in a peg board? I may borrow that idea.

I read about the Ibanez... Is that it on the wall to the left of the case? It looks like every guitar in there is classical style.

Hey Bellydoc, I found a guy in the west valley who made it for me. He made one for himself and did a great job. The doors shut nice and tight. I added a hydrometer and a wet sponge in a small bowl to humidify it. The first time I did it, all the strings on my guitars broke because of the change. lol. I have since quit dampening the sponge and have not found any changes to my guitars. I think the tight space helps preserve them.

Yes they all are nylon, classical style guitars in the case except for the requinto which is a mariachi guitar. The small guitars are my daughters and I also have a Brazilian Cavachino which I would compare to a Ukulele. That is the SC500 on the wall. I also have a Gibson Firebrand LP (Les Paul) and a steel string acoustic. I do favor the sound and feel of the nylons however.

You are welcome to see the case anytime if interested in seeing how it was made. I live in the Old Town Scottsdale area.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

So I've been working on THIS:

I call it the "guitarmoire".

It was a TV armoire I got at Goodwill as starting material. It's almost done. I took it apart, modified it for glass and refinished it, then built it back up and sealed it for humidity control. It's tight. You can hear it seal when the doors close. I started to build a rack for the guitars but changed my mind and started over. That's the last part I need to do.

The humidity control is going to be a bit of a chemistry experiment. There's a nifty little thing about saturated salt solutions and relative humidity that I want to try to exploit.

Here's my main guitar. It's an Armin Hanika 56PF, from Germany.

As you can see, I'm using a guitar support which is stuck to the side with suction cups. I got a kind called the Tenuto. They supply a low tack clear sticker that protects the finish where the suction cups go. I like it. I play for hours, and I have to watch out for back pain, shoulder pain and elbow pain.

Here's my electric guitar, an Epiphone SG G400:

It's getting played more often now, but mostly since I don't have a lot of technique yet, I just play my classical studies on it. I'll be phasing it into my lessons over time.

I've got a few others, plus a mandolin, but this is where my head's at for the time being.

glideraz wrote:
BmblBFJ
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

Lot's of great guitars!

I taught myself via YouTube a few years back, I'm far from good, but I can put most anybody asleep with a little bit of picking!

Right now, my main guitar is a Takamine GD20-NS. It's a great guitar with a little bit deeper resonance that gives it some character. I also bought myself an Epiphone 12-string some time ago that I love to play as well: great bang for the buck with Epiphone guitars! I also inherited a Celebrity Ovation that's seen better days. The owner before me stuck steel strings on a nylon, classical guitar and ruined the turrets. Hasn't been the same since getting them replaced.

Learning the Banjo or a 3-4 string blues guitar is next on the list!

First got into playing instruments with drums, later on a cajon. Bellydoc knows what's up!

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar talk Reply with quote

The cajon is awesome! Anyone who's ever drummed their hands and fingers on a table or chair needs a cajon. I wanted one instantly when I saw them at Guitar Center.

I tried to recruit my daughters into music by getting a pair of "build your own cajon" kits, but so far, very little interest.

On the other hand, when I got myself a digital piano in order to study music theory, my younger daughter got inavertantly hooked into piano! She turns out to be quite self motivated.

Then, we had this corner of the living room that *needed* something...

glideraz wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: