Tuesday, April 07, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: azrooster
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2121

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 24
Total: 24
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8LFGRND
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

Based on my research both on this site and others I have decided on the OME complete lift kit for my purposes but one question remains...

Since stock the FJ looks to sit a touch low in the front would you fellas think the "Trim Packers" are also a good idea to add to the front strut assembly to possibly level things off or is that really not necessary with the lift itself? I was told the trim packers will add almost another half inch to the front by the guys at Rocky Road Outfitters.

And here is a basic follow-up question. Anyone with a 3 lift and not much bigger than stock tires (265/70/17) still fit through their standard garage door without removing the stock roof rack?

Thanks for the input!

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

The lift itself should get things sitting quite well.
Unfortunately there isn't really a "standard" garage door size and every FJ will sit just a touch differently depending on what's loaded, installed, worn,...and so on. Best thing to do is measure your rig as is, add about 3" and see if that clears.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Actually Lynn made it just fine into her garage. She had just installed a Radflo 3" lift Plus she has stuff on her OEM rack.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

The trim packer is designed to be used on the driver side to correct for the lean.

It is not normally used on both sides of the truck...
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

CeeFish wrote:
The trim packer is designed to be used on the driver side to correct for the lean.

What he said.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

glideraz wrote:
CeeFish wrote:

What he said.
What they said.
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

I have 2"to spare on a 84" opening. Should be fine.

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...281,782 final miles. NEXT, 4RUNNER.
8LFGRND
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

Muchas Garcia for the input everybody, I guess I 'll roll without the trim packers to start and make the adjustment down the road if it appears necessary.

Did the quick measurement and it certainly appears getting in the garage shouldn't be an issue either.

Please chime in if you can think of anything else that may be useful to know as I move forward.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

Don't BAJA your OME suspension, they DO blow out.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

If you're going to modify the suspension, swap out the springs and futz with the stance, consider doing whatever other imminent changes might affect the spring choice at the same time, i.e., winch/bumper.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
AZFJ4AK
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

CeeFish wrote:

Hmm... Not pictured, my FJ could benefit from this sort of correction, too. Is this a possible/plausible retrofit?
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

You could pop in a spacer on the rear left EZPZ. Leveled my truck perfectly! Front too!

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OME Lift, do I need the Trim Packers? Reply with quote

AZFJ4AK wrote:
CeeFish wrote:

Hmm... Not pictured, my FJ could benefit from this sort of correction, too. Is this a possible/plausible retrofit?
you have adjustable coilovers just adjust to whatever you want, if you leaning a bit just adjust that side (you will need a spanner wrench) im sure john could help you out only takes a couple minutes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: