Thursday, October 29, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: SALTYFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2138

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 22
Total: 22
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › So Here's My Latest...
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
So Here's My Latest...
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

A while back I started getting a misfire code on #6. Replaced the plugs, the coil pack, and the fuel injector, all to no avail. It's in the shop now, and after some more diagnostics, it appears that it's a head gasket leak. Not quite sure why this is happening to such a solid engine at only 65k miles, but just my luck. I take care of it and don't drive it hard, but I guess I don't wheel it hard enough.

Anyhow, they are talking approx. $3,300 to fix, and approx. $4,000 to just swap the engine (I'm not certain what else that gets me - I didn't go over the details with them yet).

As much as it sucks, I need to do something with it. What do you think, fix or swap? Also, if you have any opinions on the costs I was quoted (it's at Barney's). I probably need to let the shop know soon so I'm not just taking up space.

Thanks!
JustinD
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

$3300 seems like ALOT for a head gasket. Is it just one side ? or both ? and do they have to pull the motor to do it ?
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

At only 65k, I'd be calling Toyota directly.
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

Yup you need a second opinion.
Chuck get it to toyota and have them diagnose it. 3300 is high that sounds like toyota pricing.
A few hundred bucks for toyota to check it out at this point isnt going to kill you.

4000 is that a rebuilt? Or a junk yard pullout? For a pull out no way. You could be in the same boat.
You know my number if it does need a head job let me know i might be able to help you out.

JustinD
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

their quote could include pulling the motor if they are going to have the block & head resurfaced....still seems like a crazy amount of money for that though.
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

I only had a couple minutes to talk to the mechanic so I didn't dig into details of what that price included. The problem is only on one side. I was already leaning toward a trip to the dealer to get another opinion, but I won't be surprised to get the same diagnosis - maybe just a different price quote. I believe the motor he was talking about was a rebuild, not a junk yard special. I would just not trust it again if I went that route.
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

well if 1 head gasket is bad, I would just do both (would suck to go another few thousand miles and then the other go. just seems odd that 65,000 and it blows a head gasket? especially a Toyota.
if it is a head gasket then the head needs to be resurfaced and possibly the block. just trying to give you info on the correct way to do a job like this. knowledge is power

VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

Here was Speedys recent experience.. Now this isnt the same issue but here is how he got it done and I believe some used motor info.
again Knowledge is power This may or may not help but it may help put $ into a certain range.
azfj.org/index.php?nam...ic&t=11275

TUFFY
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

Mr. VTX

Be very careful with Barney's. There is a reason why no one will go there anymore.
DEFINITELY get a second opinion.

itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

So umm I don't know if this helps or not but for what it's worth on craigslist in the for sale section there is a pair of remanufactured cylinder heads for Toyota engine 1grfe. J&S looks like the shop selling them. Asking price is 750.00. Also Break Masters near Scottsdale and McDowell has a manager named Paul who owns a really nice FJ and a tacoma both modified. He seems to know his stuff and has a love for Toyota trucks especially the FJ cruiser. I have always avoided places "like that" until my friend who loved Toyota and had a Tacoma and Tundra refer me there before I ever had a Toyota. I was pleasantly surprised to be honest. That was my experience anyway.

mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

During my rat damage fiasco, I ended up at $3500 for them to get into the motor to do the knock sensor change. That included a new head gasket, bolt set, etc.

To be fair, insurance paid for mine, so I didn't really care what it was gonna cost.

See if you can get some rats in there to chew stuff up (specifically the knock sensor wiring harness). That might take care of your problem Wink

WA7LDO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

TUFFY wrote:
Mr. VTX

Be very careful with Barney's. There is a reason why no one will go there anymore.

yeah... pretending to be a mechanic since 2011 at Barney's

www.azfj.org/index.php...6918#96918
progolfer_20
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

I'd contact Toyota direct

MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

Back home from Barneys. Been talking to a dealer and will get it to them later next week for a second opinion. Got a price over the phone for a repair and it was a bit less than Barneys and its Toyota. They could not see having to swap the motor. Still hoping they may find it is something else. Nobody I have talked to can believe it's a head gasket at 65k. Not impossible I guess. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. And thanks Bruce for contacting me on the side. I'm talking to your guy.
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: So Here's My Latest... Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
TUFFY wrote:
Mr. VTX

yeah... pretending to be a mechanic since 2011 at Barney's

www.azfj.org/index.php...6918#96918

Based on that read...you're the only guy here to have a problem with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: