Thursday, December 01, 2022

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Kelney
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2165

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 48
Total: 49
Who Is Where:
 Members:
Hidden: 1

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns Reply with quote

So apparently there's a situation where a person was cited under park rules (from 2003) for having a loaded gun at Lake Pleasant. AZCDL is tackling it since it's entirely illegal for a park to have, let alone enforce, such a rule in AZ.

Something to keep in mind if you're in that area.

www.facebook.com/group...460792207/

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns Reply with quote

Twice!! How and why....?? Wink

Last edited by itsafjthing on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns Reply with quote

Say what!!!? Wow I will have to do some more research on that topic myself. I have never heard of such a thing. Thank you for the heads up. I actually just got stuck out there myself by the northwest entrance to the lake. "When headed to Crown King via back way turn right instead of left." I was just past the boat ramp around 300 yards or so less. I was stuck between a rock and hard place lol. I called the non emergency # and was told they could give me info on a tow truck company. Longer story longish I was waiting for a friend for a tow out and a MCSO sheriff deputy came rolling through boat dock parking fast shining his light bar around. I walked out to the parking lot and flagged him down "waving" to see if he was out looking for me. Conversation...

Deputy "hello random person in a parking"

Me. "Umm hello just seeing if you were looking for me. I called the non emergency number and notified the person on the phone I was stuck out here.

Deputy "nope"

Me "okay then"

Deputy "where at"?

Me "just off the boat dock on that road there next to the lake heading to that beach area"

Deputy "do you have i.d. drivers license? Just so I can check and see information regarding your situation.

Me "I have it in my stuck vehicle. I was with my friend and her kid and just grabbed my phone upon walking up here with her. She's by the restrooms right over there and I point."

Deputy "what's your name and address?"

This is where I actually give him all my info and even offer up my drivers license number. Just to out of respect and I did approach him. I had nothing to hide and as far as I was concerned had not broken any laws. I had help on the way and just wanted to be certious. I have no criminal record, was completely sober, license, insurance and registration as well. Except no license in hand. He plugs in my info and everything appears kosher.

Deputy "let's go look at it"

Me "umm ok"

Deputy "just gonna check you real quick for weapons"

Me "sure that's fine" I just lift my shirt and spin around I wasn't really searched like on the t.v. show cops. Lol

We drive down where I'm stuck and I sh#t you not right past where I'm stuck and he even says it. "You're not past that vehicles prohibited sign are you? There it is big bright and glowing reflecting off the beems of beautiful light bar on the 4x4 expedition mounted just above the winch which looked very capable of pulling me out by the way.

It was night at this point and I went a little above the sign I believe cause neither me, my friend or her 2 year ever saw it. Why was the road closed I don't know and don't care at this point.

He was actually pretty cool about it and said something about it being for multiple vehicles using that section all the time. Anyway I show him my vehicle and we walk down to look at it.

He starts shining his light all in through the windows and really wants to get a good look in there. So while I'm there I decide to grab my jug of water and tow strap. Plus I can open the door and give him a grand view of the inside of my vehicle complete with water, ball finger for my dog, wet shorts and absolutely nothing illegal. He shines that light in real good when I open my door and grab my water and tow strap. He makes sure to ask "you haven't been drinking have you?" Which I'm completely sober and there was no alcohol in my vehicle. He sees the car seat and asks there is no kid in the car right. I'm thinking right now no of course not and tell him no.

He runs into his boss on the way back to the restrooms and notifies him of the sitiation. Tells the boss I "say I haven't been drinking" which humm if he really had his doubts I think he would have been bringing out the kit. They mention how women and off roading don't go together amongst themselves. "Manly sheriff talk" I rightly recon.

Then we get back and he says my friend and her kid. Which I swear I said upon meeting him the first time I waved him down in the parking lot. And at this point there are two other ladies there which were not when I left with him which I believe he saw. She and her kid were like 40 yards from us under a lit restroom Ramada where I pointed them out.

Sheriff "who are all those people?"
Me umm that is my friend and her son and I don't know the other 2. They must have showed up when we were gone.

Sheriff "you said there was no kid" I specifically said there was no kid in there right? And you said no.

Me "umm awkward deer in head lights look. Umm I thought you meant in the car when we went back to it. Like if he was still in there. I told you when we first talked I was with my friend and her son and pointed them out."

Deputy "so out of everyone standing there who is with you?"

Me "my friend and her son. I don't know the other two ladies there."

The deputy then gets out and asks my friend for her i.d. and her child's i.d. and information. She has it and gives it to him.

He then goes back to the his car to run there info. At this point I'm like ok. And and she looks at me and is thinking she is in trouble. Im thinking is it illegal to 4 wheel with a child. Child endangerment, reckless driving with child involved, trespassing, child neglect all of the above?? The other two ladies as it turns out happened be there camping right with there dudes right by where I was stuck. They saw my friend alone with a kid and decided to check on her.

Deputy come back gives her i.d. back and then says his goodbyes and leaves.

Then comes back a second time after talking to his boss in the parking lot gets out with a paper looking box thing in his hand. I'm like here we go. Trespassing, warning, violation I mean something right. It's my tow strap I forgot in his vehicle. Lol he says "you need this not me". Then drives off into the moon set.

Anyway I have mixed feelings about the whole situation. My info was ran, he wanted to go look at my vehicle although he said they aren't allowed to help pull it out but it looked easy enough, wanted to check me for weapons first before I got in his vehicle, ran his light all in my car, wanted to make sure I wasn't drinking, my friend and her kid were left alone, made me feel like I should not of had a kid with me, ran my friend and her sons identification, told his boss I "SAID" I wasn't drinking. Like maybe I was.

Anyway I get the checking me for weapons for his safety but why have me get in the car and go look and leave my friend and son alone if you already know there is nothing you are going to do. Child seat no kid in car possible miscommunication ok. I could have said not right now but yes earlier. I.d. check standard I suppose. He didn't cite me for going in a "prohibited area" poorly marked in my opinion. And I think maybe he figured I really didn't see when the sun was out and was on the higher road where I entered.

But if I wanted to stand up for my rights, or as far as the deputy, police, law enforcement are concerened be "rude" or a "dick" and stand up for my rights or exercise them I suppose I could have pulled the whole why would you like to see my i.d., no I'm good officer thank you for stopping though, no crime is being committed and this is public land so I prefer not to identify myself and engage with you any further at this time and be about my business not got in his vehicle, not answered any questions etc.etc. But I was polite and answered all his questions so it worked out ok for me. I suspect had I had an attitude "exercising my rights" I would have ended up with some trespass violation I would have had to argue in court.

Bottom line though in my opinion I should not really have had to go through all the questions forms of i.d. lights being shined in my vehicle, etc etc. For a stuck vehicle posing no danger and help on the way. I suspect had I not been completely sober, had anything relatively illegal, had not cooperated to the fullest, had not been pleasant it could have been a lot different. Such as a concealed firearms charge or a trespassing charge or a whatever charge they would like to charge you with charge cause there ego was insulted and they can charge. Which to me is disturbung. I get it that generally if you cooperate, have a clean record, being sober helps and handle yourself well you will be ok. But that is just that generally. It is disturbing that if you chose to exercise your rights, chose to drink a beer at the lake, chose to carry something for self defense, basically chose to pursue your firm of happiness within your constitutional rights unobstructed you could go to jail, lose your rights and be persecuted. Wow that was looooong.

fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns Reply with quote

BLM stopped my son and his buddy and ran a check on all their weapons at Lake Pleasant a couple months ago. MCSO was probably surprised that you weren't drinking etc...I'm sure that's what they find out there a lot.

itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns Reply with quote

Hummm... I think that is interesting. I had to actually Google BLM. I guess I'm not surprised anymore. Ok maybe a little. I think it is annoying though to just be stopped if there were no legitimate reasons. That is different though. I would wonder at that point if it were me why the Bureau of Land Management would just be stopping me to check my weapons and if that was even lawful or if I had to comply. Identifying vehicle, uniform, id, badge jurisdiction. etc etc. Did somebody just slap a decal on there Chevy and say let me check yer weapons ok now we're robbing you. Highly doubtful of course but it might cross my mind. We're they shooting out there by the way or just get stopped? I wonder if they were trying to "register" the firearms to your son and friend in a clever way. They being the BLM. Who knows. Maybe they were legitimately concerned or maybe bored. Could be both. I'd like to think concerned or bored vs. the feds trying to register your firearm to you in a clever/devious manner.

KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lake Pleasant, MCSO, and guns Reply with quote

Most of that area is a cesspool of idiocy and I'm sure it keeps them busy. Doesn't mean they should make contact with everyone and run their info though. The MCSO lake cops/Butcher Jones are much nicer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: