Tuesday, April 07, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: azrooster
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2121

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 29
Total: 29
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Looking for input about a gun
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Looking for input about a gun
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

Yeah... figured that would capture some attention.

My 12 year old daughter has become increasingly interested in shooting pistols, and so I took her to the IDPA match last night. Several of the shooters took out time to be encouraging to her, and I could see her looking at this as something to work towards.

To that end, I'm going to eventually get a 9mm pistol which will have several criteria to meet.

1) Cheap
2) Grip compatible with small hands
3) Not a super lightweight subcompact
4) Cheap

She shot a 9mm 1911 government which she was able to get a good firing grip on and manage the muzzle flip without difficulty. She also shot a Sig doublestack design with custom grip modifications for a shooter with particularly small hands. She liked the Sig, but I'm not sure I'd wish a DA/SA action upon her if she were to take up IDPA. The rules would specify that she would have to carry in condition 2, firing the first round in DA mode, with a heavier longer trigger, each time.

I'm leaning toward a single action striker fired design, although my first choice would not be Glock, given my own personal preference about the Glock grip backstrap angle.

Thoughts?

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

Id say gen4 glock. Flexibility in grip, cheap, reliable, easy to accessorize (ie, bday/holiday gifts), nore miney left over to fund your own psycho addiction =)

This, despite your unlove of glock angles since grips are by far a personal preference.

A trip to sgc to try out the rental fleet in air conditioned comfort may be worthwhile too. Thats how i landed on my xdm.

Er, wait... guns r bad, mmmkay?

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???

Last edited by Thoreau on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

My thought would be to let her feel a glock. Your personal preference may not be her personal preference. Let her shoot one and see if she likes it.

You could also look at the XDs. I believe it is a similar firing platform as the Glock.
B1ackSh33p
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

If you are looking for less muzzle flip or recoil you'd do yourself a favor and look at the alloy framed 9's in the S&W older types like say model 915, 5906, 669, 5946, 6906 to name a few. These are alloy and some are steel frame and most all are really nice semi's with good reliability and are also fairly cheap as they are mostly older models. I picked up a 915 for $280 that was a police trade in and had some holster wear but nothing big. That 915 cycled everything I could put through it. I still kinda own it as I let my step father have it and now it's hard to get him to let me have it back! LOL It's a solid pistol for sure.
So, that's my opinion on the cheap, reliable, good shooter with a decent trigger gun seeker. Hope you find something she likes!

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

I think she'd love a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. I bought a new one for $370 but have seen them online for as low as $330. Also have the XDs in 9mm and like it but they are about $40 more. The Shield grip is more comfortable.

KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

The Shield would be a good choice, as long as it wouldn't put her in a bug class.

What about a CZ75?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

What's a 'bug class'?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
What's a 'bug class'?

Back up gun.

robb_in_az
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

Do you already own a 22lr pistol ? and is she comfortable shooting it already ?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

KaJeep wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:
What's a 'bug class'?

Back up gun.
Oh, thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

My daughter handles my LCP quite well and it comes in pink.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

robb_in_az wrote:
Do you already own a 22lr pistol ? and is she comfortable shooting it already ?

Yes and yes. She has pretty decent trigger control with it and has a firm understanding of basic semiauto pistol operation.

glideraz wrote:
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

That's awesome, I'm glad to hear she's interested in the shooting sports!

I've heard that Kippi Leatham over at that shooting range in East Mesa is real helpful in working with new female shooters. She'd also probably have some pretty good options for small-handed shooters.

KF7YII
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

KaJeep wrote:
The Shield would be a good choice, as long as it wouldn't put her in a bug class.

What about a CZ75?

Interesting. I had waltzed past the CZ75 because the Gunsite instructors had made the CZ users with double/single actions decock for all class exercises, but the CZ75B is billed as safe for condition 1 carry. As such, I believe it could be used for IDPA in the ESP division, starting cocked and locked.

This also makes me rethink the Browning Hi Power... which would be a cool addition to my growing collection of John Moses Browning designs.

glideraz wrote:
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for input about a gun Reply with quote

conejo wrote:
That's awesome, I'm glad to hear she's interested in the shooting sports!

I've heard that Kippi Leatham over at that shooting range in East Mesa is real helpful in working with new female shooters. She'd also probably have some pretty good options for small-handed shooters.

East Mesa... I'd have to deduct the cost of gas from the gun fund!

glideraz wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: