Tuesday, April 07, 2020

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: azrooster
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2121

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 27
Total: 28
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: ratfink > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Target Stands for Shop Help
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Target Stands for Shop Help
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

So, the targets stand thread was well timed.

I'm sitting here doing some dry fire practice with holster and mag pouches, and I decided I should go set up El Presidente drills while the weather is awesome.

So I went looking for my three target stands, and I can't find them ANYWHERE.

I haven't been doing any garage time since my little cardiac event a month ago, but I know my garage storage, and as I go through my memory, I don't recall having seen the target stands since I moved house.

So, I'm going to have to build some more.

I have stock on hand that will be useable, but I might end up going to purchase a stick of something to optimize the design. This will be my third batch. I built a set of three that I used for a while, and then I gave them to a friend and made three more.

What I've learned is that the only time it sucks to have heavy stands is when you're carrying them from the car. The rest of the time, it's awesome. They can't be too heavy. It only takes a slight breeze to knock over a cardboard target, and it's actually kind of difficult to stack rocks on them to weigh them down. The better solution is polypropylene sandbags.

Also, I've almost never had really flat ground. It's always been just a bit uneven and with embedded gravel and cobbles... enough that the stand doesn't actually sit on it's corners, contacting the ground at whatever number of random points I'm eventually satisfied with. The solution is leveling feet.

The batch I'm about to run is going to be made from 2x3" .188" wall angle iron, with stake pockets for 1x2 furring strips. I will incorporate welded nuts and leveling feet/ground spikes as well as set screws in the stake pockets. The dimensions are set by the IDPA target width of 18 1/8" and the feet will be 24" long. The overall footprint should be 24" square.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm happy to make as many of these as there is interest. I'm thinking I can do the batch this week.

There's a catch, though.

I'm going to be looking for people who can help with a bunch of build projects that are falling behind. There are 3 in progress right now, and the motivation seems to have been sucked out of me since my cardiac event last month. Poor Nestor has been more than patient.

I'm offering target stands for shop help. I need a motivation infusion.

Shop days would be on a weekend I'm not on call and would be best with a large number of people. No skills of any kind are needed, but if you have any or are willing to learn some, that's a plus. Literally, if you have opposable thumbs, I can use your help.

Things like beer and barbecue would be included. If enough people are into it, I can do ribs. Children would also be welcome, but more for tossing in the pool (once it's warm enough), than hanging out in the garage. I can envision doing this several times over the next few months until it gets too hot.

Requests for target stands (1, 2, or at most 3 per person) will be taken as notice of intent to participate in some sort of shop partying.

Posting up the intent to party *without* requests for target stands will also be accepted, but then you'll have to PM me to work out the details of how I'm supposed to reward you for your efforts.

The AZFJ flag will fly.

Takers?

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

I'd love to help yeah out in the shop sometime! Knowledge for labor is a great idea! No targets stands needed. Mine worked great from nimrag.

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

Prepaid labor from me is always available
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

Whatever it is I'm in.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

I'm always IN for shop time at Casa de BellyDoc!

KF7YII
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

I could use another target stand and would like to join the party.

sl33p3r
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

I have been a lazy butt for too long. Count me in for help. I think my opposable thumbs still work. Smile

And I can always use an extra target stand.

2016 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos!!!
microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

Give me a date and my girl and I will make the trip up for the day or overnight if you can spare a camp site on your back 40.
No targets requested. Maybe a rain check on a BMC for the girls FJ at some future time.
FJLT
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

You can count me in for a session. I own a precision sheet metal fab shop so if you need any CNC laser or plasma cutting , bending, etc. I can help with that also or just good ol fashion hand labor.
NathansLola
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

A target stand and learning something new? Whats the catch! Im in. Don't know much but always want to learn more.

MAMBA
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

Hey... i can help...

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

MAMBA wrote:
Hey... i can help...
Will my hands get dirty?

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

Outstanding! We're clearly going to justify running the smoker for this.

Linda is working on some date options... more to follow.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

I'd love to learn more about welding. The Wife and Kids would love to play in the pool. It would have to be on a Saturday for me.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Target Stands for Shop Help Reply with quote

my opposable thumbs can lend their functionality if there is room for one more humanoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: