Thursday, October 28, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Vernon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2152

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 78
Total: 78
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

The annual Humbug open house is this Saturday. Wasn't sure I was going, but I am for sure now.

Lots of fun things to see. The road wasn't terrible last year, but did require high clearance. I don't think you need 4 wheel drive to get there, but if the caretaker allows us to go up the the El Pero Bonito mine, 4 wheel drive is a requirement (or carpooling). I don't know, however, if Dave will allow us to go up there now as he's had the theft of one of the ore carts (the other has been removed for safe-keeping).

Dave Burns (the caretaker) will have a few tours of the town proper planned.

There is generally a potluck lunch, or you can just bring your own lunch. People come and go most of the day, but generally we would head out from Lake Pleasant around 9ish.

Ghosttown itself: N34°03'15.44" W112°19'12.05"
Place where we usually meet up (Lake Pleasant): N33°54'14.64" W112°19'33.45"

Note that there are new signs up on the road up there that state that the road is private property. While this is true, you are allowed to pass through to see Humbug during the Open House, or by invite only. Best to try and go up as a group.

Let me know if anybody wants to go. Pictures can be found at this link: Arizona Backroads Adventures - Humbug

CWO35
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

Any one going? I'm considering it.
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

I highly recommend this. We went for an entire day and actually walked really deep into a mine, with our trucks parked directly above next to the shaft. (if he actually lets you in it )There were rail cars , petrified bats and all the cool stuff that goes with both . Dave is knowledgeable and friendly .Plus, he drives and old Mustard FJ 40 .
We will have to visit this again

I am in competition with no one
I have no desire to play the game,
of being better than anyone
I am simply trying to be better,
than the person I was yesterday
ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

I would love to do this, please post it up and I will do my best to make it.

AZBackRoadsGirl
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

Um, perhaps I failed on the above - but I didn't get any responses (except one PM) before I left around 8:45, so I didn't think anybody wanted to go.

The open house is every year, first weekend in March, unless it rains, in which case it moves to the next weekend.

They had a good turnout this year - maybe 70 people or so - lots of quads. It was the first time in 6+ years that I've been up there and there was water in Humbug Creek - I haven't seen that since my first run up there. In addition, someone graded the "worst" part of the main trail in, so while high clearance is suggested, I saw a Subaru up there. Smile

We did NOT go up to the mine this year. The trail is apparently fairly washed out, and Dave is still not happy about the ore cart being stolen (there are no ore carts on the premises anymore - they removed the other one, along with some other important historical items, for safe keeping) so we just didn't take anyone up there.

If anybody wants to go up on a different weekend, Dave is usually amenable to meeting people if he isn't busy restoring stuff. Dave loves to show people around, he ADORES having kids come up and be all interested. He'll even show you how to pan for gold or sluice pan if there's no water in the creek.

Double_A
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

Damn, missed it again. Thanks for the invitation.

conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: March 7th - Humbug Mining/Ghosttown Open House Reply with quote

I keep wanting to make this, but so far haven't been able to. My daughter would love to see all the stuff up there, and she'd love the gold-panning!

KF7YII
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: