Tuesday, June 22, 2021

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: hasaccol
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2142

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 6
Total: 6
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Jimbolio's "Phoenix"
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Jimbolio's "Phoenix"
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

It's up, I've just been way to busy with other crap. It came out nice though.

Sit's pretty high compared to Stock

Got my goose gear floor and my fridge mounted up.

Oh yeah, I'm still dealing with THIS:

Sent them back to Total Chaos for 'restoration'. Almost ruined them by trying to get them powder coated myself.

They'll be good as new with all the parts I bought.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

Looks nice Jimbo.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

Jimbo - nicely done - thanks for the updates.
AZCruiser
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

Looks great!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

Lots of exciting changes! Stay tuned.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
CRAZYJOHN
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

new picks of the sliders f bumper please

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

So, surgery is done. Many thanks to Seqoia Steve who's shop did excellent work.
But, I'm not sure I improved my situation, but putting 4:88 gears in a Lexus does not a MPG boost make. (Went from 18mpg to 13mpg). That's easily a 100 mile range loss. Sad

BUT, I'll be much more able to pull a trailer, climb a steep hill, etc.

The gears came from the Precious. Along with its complete differentials so I didn't lose my big gear investment I made last spring.

The ICON 2.5 shocks(Also salvaged from the Precious and rebuilt by SDHQ) and upgraded #700 springs went in at the same time. I don't think they are quite right for the amount of weight I have up there hanging on the front, but hoping they'll wear in over time.

So basically I took a moderately fuel-efficient creampuff and turned it into a gas-sucking pig buckboard. Yay me. (Kind of like the Precious)

And now on to the Phoenix, The OME Heavys from the precious replaced the Airbag suspension from the GX. If you don't have a spare FJ axle lying around you have to buy a conversion kit to hold the bottom of the spring. I just happened to have a spare FJ axle laying around Wink You can see in this shot that the Boztec Rear Diff Skid was also preserved, and now lives on the Phoenix, (In it's original yellow trim). Yellow shock skids were preserved too!

And the Icon's are installed as well. (A might stiff, might replace at some point. )

But, at least the major stuff got done in this go round. The Speedo is now off by 2MPH at 50. And 6Mph at 75. I didn't find a speedo corrector module for the GX like there is for the FJ, so I'll have to live with it.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

But wait, There's more....
So, i continue to amazed at how much direct bolt over stuff happens between the FJ chassis and the GX470 chassis. (I got lucky I guess that both the Precious and the Phoenix are 2008's)

So at this point (April '21) the Phoenix is sitting pretty and has a good stance. SO a feller has no choice but to mess that up right?

Well, first thing's first. The Upper control arms came back from Total CHaos totally refurbished. They went from burnt to factory fresh. I think they are works of art at this point.

SO I hired CrazyJohn to put them on. (Yes I could have done it, but I trust him to do a far better job at it than I could)

This helped with my Firestone Lifetime alignment.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

And NOW, the NO Going back stage has been reached! More to come...

On Black Friday, 2020, I went hog wild and bought some stuff.

Here's the GX470 Ironman 4x4 Front GX bumper.

Again I hired CrazyJohn to do this installation because I realized that there would be metal cutting involved, and I would for sure screw it up. Realizing I was out of my depth was the right choice. However, Crazy John had a tough time too.
In this case, there was some cutting needed to make the bumper fit. The instructions sucked, and the only Youtube we could find was in Korean. I don't think it was helpful.

I think this project almost broke CrazyJohn's will, but in the end, he kicked ass and turned out an amazing product.

So, how did it turn out?

FREAKING AMAZING is how.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

Oh, the awning on the roof rack. We'll here's what I use that for:

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

ARMOR:
As part of the Black Friday/Crazy John adventure, I purchased some "Relations Race Wheel's" Bolt-on (sic) rock sliders. I learned the utility of Kick Outs (and the downsides) on the FJ, so I chose these.

When the bumper was put on, John installed these as well. They were woefully inadequate as to mounting points on the frame, so additional nutserts, welding tacks etc. had to happen to install them. Again, over my head, so John did a splendiferous job getting these on.

Oh, and "Tuckage".

ALUMINUM SKID PLATES:
So in the past, my strategy was to scour the interwebs and non-member cast offs for used FJ parts and hope they all went together in some kind of logical fashion. I think I achieved that on the Precious by luck. GX470's are different animals and there aren't a lot of those kinds of deals to be had. So, on this vehicle, it's all going to be NEW stock. Like these, RCI aluminum Engine, Transmission and Transfer case. These took 2 months to get because of COVID.

A

Mounted my "Microbe" acquired 48" Hi-lift Jack right on the front so it's RIGHT IN YOUR FACE.

Look at me all proud and shit.

And, the only PROPER way to photo skids is on a Rock, so here you go.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

you sir have done a mighty fine job with project "Phoenix". I may have missed it.. but what winch went in that bumper?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
you sir have done a mighty fine job with project "Phoenix". I may have missed it.. but what winch went in that bumper?

It's an Ironman Monster 12,000# Winch with synthetic cable. Came as a 50% off deal when I bought the bumper!
I was saving that for a future post. (There's more that's happened, believe it or not).

Still to discuss (And install)
Yaesu FTM400DX Ham Radio with APRS

Cargo Area
Battery system (Not a dual Battery).

Heading to Ouray with some of our BOyz (And girlz) this July, so there's more to come once we test this out on the Alpine Loop.

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

Looks great Jimbo! That bumper looks very ARBish.
Curious as to why you initially went with 4.88s? Anything less than 35s i hear 4.56 is where its at. Ill be installing these this fall.

TLCA# 18990
CRAZYJOHN
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Phoenix" Reply with quote

thanks Jim for all the work and kind words

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: