Tuesday, October 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: mountaineer09
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1980

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 39
Total: 39
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

I've crossed it when it was about 2'. But you are right, you could get stuck there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

My son in his Jeep, and me in the FJ just did this last Thursday. The trail is the same, I would not do it when it is raining, there are some spots that it would be really easy to get into big trouble.
It is a fun trail for sure.

landman
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

Anyone run this trail recently ? Any major condition changes? I read somewhere that there is a big washout or ledge by the east gate entrance now....
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

No sir. Might be good to get out there soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
chayos00
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

landman wrote:
Anyone run this trail recently ? Any major condition changes? I read somewhere that there is a big washout or ledge by the east gate entrance now....

I was just out with a group yesterday and there weren't any major obstacles along the path, from my understanding we went from the end of the trail to the start. It was a fun trail to go on in my 4runner!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

chayos00 wrote:
landman wrote:

I was just out with a group yesterday and there weren't any major obstacles along the path, from my understanding we went from the end of the trail to the start. It was a fun trail to go on in my 4runner!
your definition of Obstacle might differ from others. There are TWO that I know of (Unless they are fixed) an Off camber washout at the bottom of a steep hill, and a rock climb up out of a wash.

If you had no trouble on those, bravo,
someone who's new and unguided would have issues.

It's a huge fun trail, last time I was out there in January, there were large mud ruts on the way to the rock that caused us to lose steering ability in the rain. But otherwise, this trail is a 3.
Oh, and everybody's favorite Offcamber part:

chayos00
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
chayos00 wrote:
landman wrote:

your definition of Obstacle might differ from others. There are TWO that I know of (Unless they are fixed) an Off camber washout at the bottom of a steep hill, and a rock climb up out of a wash.

If you had no trouble on those, bravo,
someone who's new and unguided would have issues.

It's a huge fun trail, last time I was out there in January, there were large mud ruts on the way to the rock that caused us to lose steering ability in the rain. But otherwise, this trail is a 3.
Oh, and everybody's favorite Offcamber part:

I'm not a total noob, and far from a pro, but on the way out I saw the ruts you must be talking of but I rode on the high spots of them. Now I sure do t recall that off camber section though either. But this was also my first run out there on this trail. A guy named Dennis (tan 08 FJ) from this website was also out there with us and you could prob better confirm with him.

ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

I was out there on Saturday. The "off camber" spot is a non issue running the trail "backwards". It is a little rougher, but I believe it to be very different running it backwards. I like running it that way because when you are done with the trail there is less of a ride back out on Reddington Rd.. The other nice thing is getting to the "rock" allot closer to the end instead of at the beginning.
There were 10 rigs, all Jeeps except for the 2 Toyota's. We did have one trail repair that caused a slow trip out. Still a good time.

8LFGRND
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

So the wife and are are heading to Tucson for a long anniversary weekend, should get there early Saturday. Some friends that used to live down there are saying Chiva Falls are a must see. We are solo so don't want to get into anything too crazy but if anyone had plans to head out there Sunday/Monday please let me know as going with someone that knows the trail would be great.

From a little research I was thinking Readington Rd > 4422/4417 > 4426. I don't know if without a veteran I would try to run "the crack" but it also looks more tame to perhaps take Readington further out and drop down via the 4417 rather than head east on the 4417.

Am I thinking logically here? Please correct me on a better route if not.

I have good tires and rock rails but no lift. I recently ran Broken Arrow and a few others in Sedona but maybe those tough spots aren't as comparable as I am assuming.

Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

When you go to Chiva, assuming you go the normal route, if there are others at the staging area you might want to see if they mind you joining their group. Since Sunday is Mother's Day and most folks are working on Monday, you are likely to find more folks on the trail on Saturday. Also, we are having a cleanup at Redington Pass on Saturday morning, your welcome to join us and run Chiva afterwards!

8LFGRND
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

Just so you know you have the time to shop Mutha's Day is the Sunday after.

More importantly, we could be willing to help with the cleanup but time will be the only issue as I will be leaving mom's place in Phx Sat morning. Let me know the info on time and meetup spot and maybe we could make it, or ,ale it a little late at least.

Thanks for the input, hope it works out.

blizerd
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

So did his run today and it's as of right now not passable. The wash after the pond that's like 20 yards wide that we cross is like qwick sand 2 ft deep you will get stuck. Winch had taken a shit at some point. Had to use hi lift as a winch to go back the way I came and some red neck strap around the tire winch shit vary dangerous if you have never done this before. So in all it's not passable till the wash is dry

AZFJ4AK
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chimney Rock - Tucson/Redington-3.0 Reply with quote

Went out to chimney rock this past Thursday with another 2014 TTUE (Emily...the rig with the Raven stickers.) We took the trail in right after the rest room and came back the same way. No issues whatsoever. It's a bit rougher in places and we damned sure didn't take Eric's 4Runner path through the mud pits. The fire damage to some trees was noticeable when you get to the rock, but still makes for a nice day. A few minor wash outs and they graded out a little of the road through the ranch (probably during the fire). All and all, still easy...well, because there's no evil mud at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: