Sunday, May 28, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: LifestyleOverland
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1932

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 39
Total: 39
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Vendor/dealership Reviews › KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy
Review all local vendors here. One thread per vendor.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexVendor/dealership Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:
If you wanted to charge a laptop would you need to plug an inverter into this?

It depends on the laptop to be honest. There are several laptops which can be run from a 12V supply. Check the laptop charge cable and see what the output is rated at. If its 12V your good to go, just need to find the right cable.

Other laptops, like a Macbook, run on 16V or 18V and require a controlled, constant voltage This can be done two ways, a true sine wave inverter which controls its output to achieve a constant voltage or by purchasing a 12V Macbook charger. Both are quite pricy options but the true sine wave inverter will rob more power in the long run since your converting 12V to 120V to 16V or 18V.

We are working on a solution but its not ready at this time.

Dave, Laurence, thank you again for all of the support over the past year!!! Looking forward to pics of the boxes in use!

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to using mine at Sedona Fest!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

There is another option. Targus makes a laptop charger that will run those 19v laptops off a 12v source. I've been using them quite extensively in my RV since I like to keep everything 12v if I can.

targus.com/US/laptop-t...rt-apm32us

Why go from DC > AC > DC when you can keep it all inline?

Pumbaa wrote:
1Louder wrote:
If you wanted to charge a laptop would you need to plug an inverter into this?

It depends on the laptop to be honest. There are several laptops which can be run from a 12V supply. Check the laptop charge cable and see what the output is rated at. If its 12V your good to go, just need to find the right cable.

Other laptops, like a Macbook, run on 16V or 18V and require a controlled, constant voltage This can be done two ways, a true sine wave inverter which controls its output to achieve a constant voltage or by purchasing a 12V Macbook charger. Both are quite pricy options but the true sine wave inverter will rob more power in the long run since your converting 12V to 120V to 16V or 18V.

We are working on a solution but its not ready at this time.

Dave, Laurence, thank you again for all of the support over the past year!!! Looking forward to pics of the boxes in use!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

If you just need to raise the voltage you can use a DC Adapter. I've been using this one with my scope mounts for nearly 10 years. The mount is designed for 12v but there are times (freezing weather) when the mount is happier with more juice such as 16v.

I'm not sure if the output of this adapter is enough to run a 12-19v laptop; have no idea about DC power requirements (amps/watts).

I bought this on sale at Radio Shack for less than $20, was probably about $29 normally. I don't know if they still sell this item but I imagine someone does.

Edit: Just looked up the MacBook Pro. It uses a 60 watt hour battery and shows these specs for DC power: DC input: 18.5 Vdc, 4.6 A max.

This adapter 'might' work.

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:

Parts for yours are on their way! It will be ready way before Sedonafest!

compubmw wrote:
There is another option. Targus makes a laptop charger that will run those 19v laptops off a 12v source. I've been using them quite extensively in my RV since I like to keep everything 12v if I can.

Exactly! There is no reason to go from DC to AC and back to DC. Personally an inverter is a complete waist when it comes to camping. There are much better ways.

The Targus is one of the options out there, haven't heard any reviews on it, is it working good for you?

AZFJ#4

sl33p3r
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

It is only a complete waste until the day you need that 120V outlet. Very Happy

2016 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos!!!
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

next step for KOPPEN WERKS, this $1,000,000 competition:

www.littleboxchallenge.com/
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Pumbaa wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:

Parts for yours are on their way! It will be ready way before Sedonafest!

compubmw wrote:

Exactly! There is no reason to go from DC to AC and back to DC. Personally an inverter is a complete waist when it comes to camping. There are much better ways.

The Targus is one of the options out there, haven't heard any reviews on it, is it working good for you?

I've used the Targus extensively. Works great, just uses the battery pretty quickly.

I've used it in the trailer I had, watching movies inside during the wind at Pismo at night.

I've used it in the RV I currently have when I'm not plugged in and I don't feel like EVER running the generator (4kw) to power my lappy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
next step for KOPPEN WERKS, this $1,000,000 competition:

www.littleboxchallenge.com/

Mmmmm.... thats a lot of power to cram into a little part.

Thanks compubmw for the insight!

AZFJ#4

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

I will be more chemical than electrical;)

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Picked up my powerbox35 from Wikid's house on Saturday...Thanks Dan for dropping it off there. Not to heavy to carry around, very professionally etched top.

Not only was it very cool to have, there was a personalized "Thank You" note inside the box.
Along with A Lighter charger cable
A 120 V charging cable
2 x USB Lighter Plugs
A very professionally done laminated instruction card
a short piece of COAX for the ham

and, Dan recorded a Video for me to install my ham radio into the box when I get it.

This weekend at Promontory point - We charged 2 x Droid phones, 1 x I-PAD, but were not able to charge the two DVD players as it likely was a bad cable involved. All that charging and it was at 12.8V!!

Very very useful. Served as the charging station this weekend for sure.

Thanks Dan!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Dan, here are some pictures of your box in action at El Camino Del Diablo (Tijinas Altas Tanks).

There's a Hamfest down here in Tucson Next Saturday. , If you want to set up a booth there I can bring my Powerbox35H by and an antenna and you can use that as a display.

Hey, it's even DOG friendly

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Is Dan still making these

Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

I am interested in getting one of these this year. I saw Jim's PWRBOX35H at 24HOP, it looked pretty cool.

Maybe its time for another GROUP BUY?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

I've successfully set mine up now to work as an APRS beacon. I'll be using that on every run I go on from now on. (Not sure if it will track, but if 75 watts will hit, then I have that capability).

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Vendor/dealership Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: