Tuesday, November 21, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: danab
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1985

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 58
Total: 58
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Vendor/dealership Reviews › KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy
Review all local vendors here. One thread per vendor.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexVendor/dealership Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Pumbaa wrote:
AZFJTOY wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:
Can these puppies put out 21A to operate an HF rig? (Say at 100W?)

According to the chart on the box it looks like it could do about 1.5ah at 20 amps. You don't have that much to say... Smile

Thats right on the money!
The PWRBOX has one 75A output, two 30A outputs, and two 15A outputs.

At a constant 21A, you would have power for 1.3 hours without a charge. Keep in mind that 21A for your HF is only at Tx at full power. Does it list what the average Rx amperage is? It should be less than 1A in which case you would have over 30 hours before it needs a charge.

The ICOM V8000, even with the fan on, only uses 0.53A at Rx which gives you over 70 hours between charges.

I haven't found the FT-857 RX amperage, but the FT-897D shares the same Motherboard and is listed at .6A RX. Yes, the 21Amps may only be 15 Amps (The 897 says 15.8 at 100W) and you are right, that would not be a continuous draw. I'm thinking an FT857 would fit perfectly. Does the coax connector have an external to go to the antenna on the ammo can?
Not sure how it works. Is the Radio to Connector inside the radio compartment, then the HAM add on coax 259 port goes to the external antenna?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Pumbaa wrote:
AZFJTOY wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:
Can these puppies put out 21A to operate an HF rig? (Say at 100W?)

According to the chart on the box it looks like it could do about 1.5ah at 20 amps. You don't have that much to say... Smile

Thats right on the money!
The PWRBOX has one 75A output, two 30A outputs, and two 15A outputs.

At a constant 21A, you would have power for 1.3 hours without a charge. Keep in mind that 21A for your HF is only at Tx at full power. Does it list what the average Rx amperage is? It should be less than 1A in which case you would have over 30 hours before it needs a charge.

The ICOM V8000, even with the fan on, only uses 0.53A at Rx which gives you over 70 hours between charges.

I haven't found the FT-857 RX amperage, but the FT-897D shares the same Motherboard and is listed at .6A RX. Yes, the 21Amps may only be 15 Amps (The 897 says 15.8 at 100W) and you are right, that would not be a continuous draw. I'm thinking an FT857 would fit perfectly. Does the coax connector have an external to go to the antenna on the ammo can?
Not sure how it works. Is the Radio to Connector inside the radio compartment, then the HAM add on coax 259 port goes to the external antenna?

As of right now the lid on the ammo can has to be open or off to use the box. On the panel of the PWRBOX is a Bulkhead which plugs into the back of the HAM Radio. This Bulkhead is where you plug in the Antenna. The ammo can has not been modified in any way. There are no bolts, no holes, nothing. When the lid is closed, there is no way of telling that its a full blown Power Box.

Been playing with the idea of making a custom lid for the ammo can which would allow you to plug in your devices but keep the box closed and waterproof. Its a project for the future... it most likely will require a 3D printer...

If you go to KOPPEN WERKS Instagram, you will see a ton more pictures!

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. I bet you can tell I'm intrigued.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Pumbaa wrote:
....... Its a project for the future... it most likely will require a 3D printer...
!

Dont forget your local GangPlank most likely has a 3D printer you can use to prototype with for free.

gangplankhq.com/

I know for a fact the Avondale location has one idle most days, but swing by on a Tuesday night for general usage.

avondale.gangplankhq.com/events/
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
Pumbaa wrote:
....... Its a project for the future... it most likely will require a 3D printer...
!

Dont forget your local GangPlank most likely has a 3D printer you can use to prototype with for free.

gangplankhq.com/

I know for a fact the Avondale location has one idle most days, but swing by on a Tuesday night for general usage.

avondale.gangplankhq.com/events/

Thanks for that!!!

AZFJ#4

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Sort of on-topic.....my niece's husband just printed this. Pretty cool.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Ordered!
Can I get a Velociraptor head on the cover of mine too?

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the support!

That print is pretty sweet! Yea, back in August of 2013 I bit the bullet and bought a CNC in order to make these PWRBOX's. Its been one hell of a learning curve. Used to run CNC's years back but still, getting back into machining took me awhile. A 3D Printer is on the list of equipment to purchase but so far the CNC can handle everything I need made. Its a fun toy, even Jessa loves it!

AZFJ#4

Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

I had a chance to check out the PWRBOX35 this weekend. I can honestly say that this is the most well made power box that I have seen. It was designed very well and is made to be taken almost anywhere. I can't wait until I have the funds to order one for myself!

Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

I just picked up mine this weekend! Flippin amazing! It is going to be doing lots of heavy lifting during our trip to the FJ Summit running the ARB Fridge/Freezer with a solar panel, charging various devices, and maybe even a jump start or two if we are lucky.

You will not regret getting one of these.

enterconnect
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

very cool..
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

If you wanted to charge a laptop would you need to plug an inverter into this?
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:
If you wanted to charge a laptop would you need to plug an inverter into this?

Yes. As Dan told me, finding a small, quality inverter is not easy. I know the Yeti 400 has a built-in inverter but I've seen reviews saying it can cause radio frequency interference with a ham radio, so not sure how good the sine wave is.

I've owned numerous power supplies over the years and most don't live longer than 2-3 years before something breaks/dies. Everything on the Powerbox35 is user replaceable and as you can see from the internal pics there is nothing cheap about it's build quality. I expect it to work fine 15+ years from now and it can be upgraded along the way.

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Yes, I've already got my PB35. After pestering Dan repeatedly to build one for some upcoming camping he finally decided to sell me the one he had built for his own use. Nice guy! Also, I was part of a small group that helped evaluate Dan's prototype last summer in Ouray and he decided they would get their's first, and they did.

I used the PB last weekend on the Friday Night run to light up the area while the bbq'ing and eating was going on. Dan's LED light put out lots of illumination.

Among other things I will be using the PB35 to run my telescopes out in the boonies. The mount draws .5-2amps and the PB alone could run them for day/night use at least 3 days. But I want the box topped-off as much as possible so I bought a 25w solar panel from Amazon for $59. It will supply a constant 1.2-1.3a charge all day which is more than the average draw from the mount. This panel is only 21"x 14"x 1" and will stow safely between the ARB fridge and side panels.

I also plan to mount a 80-90w panel on the roof rack to supply both the FJ battery and the Powerbox with a 4.5-5amp charge. No more worries about the fridge running down my single battery.

I received the PB35 with the ham kit installed but supplied my own radio, the ICOM 2300H. It has mil-specs, is smaller and less expensive than the V8000. Many different radios will fit.

Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: KOPPEN WERKS Introduction and Group Buy Reply with quote

Excellent Dave! Sounds like you are getting some use out of yours immediately.

I am doing an ARB Fridge/Freezer + PWRBOX35 install shakedown today. I plugged the fridge into AC power last night and got it down to 37F. Right now the FJ is sitting in the parking lot, in full sun, with the Fridge running off the PWRBOX35 and set to maintain 37F on Medium draw. I also have a solar panel mounted on the roof rack charging the PWRBOX35. I have a battery isolator that allows me to charge the PWRBOX35 off the alternator while the FJ is running. I plan on letting the fridge run until tomorrow evening under these circumstances and tonight in the garage. We will see how this goes. I will also have a bunch to report back on after I use this setup next week at the Summit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Vendor/dealership Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: