Wednesday, May 23, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: LandCruiserSteve
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2016

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 118
Total: 119
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Jimbolio > Private Messages

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › How to build a co2 set-up.
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
How to build a co2 set-up.
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

I didn't feel like splurging for a Power tank or the questionable Smittybuilt set up, so I put together my own.

I run smaller tires on my Jeep than most of you, so I went with a 5lb bottle, and space is always a premium. I have $150(a 10lb bottle would add $24 to this price) into this set up, hose and air chuck came from Hazard Fraught tools, I went with a shorter hose as I plan on just taking the tank out of the vehicle to air up, since it's light enough, but that may change.

The empty cylinder came from an Aquarium store, has a date of 2/14 on it.
Cylinder

The regulator is a fixed 150psi unit from Poly Performance. Shipping is pricey at $12 from Commiefornia.
Regulator

I attached it with a Quick Fist, and will be making a tray for it to sit in that will be bolted to the wheel well.

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

Looks good! I like the idea of it being small enough to carry around the truck rather than stretching a hose around corners.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

I like it! And for that price I might do it. My little air compressor had always done the job but it died last time I used it. Thanks for sharing
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

Nice, I used to use that same type of bottle on an actual aquarium Smile Thanks for posting the sources of the parts, I have been considering something very much the same.
One suggestion: find / make / have fabricated some sort of protection for the valve and regulator. Having it bolted in will keep the danger minimized but something else bouncing into it could be bad times.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
Nice, I used to use that same type of bottle on an actual aquarium Smile Thanks for posting the sources of the parts, I have been considering something very much the same.
One suggestion: find / make / have fabricated some sort of protection for the valve and regulator. Having it bolted in will keep the danger minimized but something else bouncing into it could be bad times.

I will when I build the bracket. I have no shortage of metal, just a shortage of time.

AZFJTOY, I don't like the idea of dealing with those coiled hoses either, they piss me off enough at work, I don't need that crap when I'm out relaxing.

Also, the hose is 200psi working pressure, 800psi burst. The 5lb bottle is just under $7 to fill at Sierra Expeditions and weighs 12.75lbs full.
progolfer_20
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

My pump just died last trip, I like this idea..

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

Fricken awesome! I can salvage the money I blew on pump and use the bogus coiled hose it came with..... Crying or Very sad
Think it will fit here on my 07? About 18" looks close, could build sheet metal heat block/holder...

KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

Flycaster, if the hose is rated for 150psi you should be good. As far as keeping the cylinder on its side, it's fine for storage, but to use it and not have shit go seriously wrong(cold!), it has to be up right. I'd also try to keep it away from heat. As the heat goes up, pressures go up. At 120°F tank pressure is roughly 2000psi.

I'd keep it inside the truck personally.
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

Ok I'm out of room. Drill two holes right thru roof, dbl quick fists done! Serious....

Last edited by azflycaster on Sat May 10, 2014 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

be careful of the hoses you guys are running, if it is hard plastic type hose you might run into problems. as you are airing up the regulator and hose will freeze and the cheap hard plastic hoses will become brittle and break sending tiny little plastic pieces flying and penetrating you skin.

I built my own tank as well. I tired that harbor freight air chuck you got(it lasted a couple of months before the hose cracked). I found a flexible coil hose on ebay for 10 bucks and works great, I have a 20lb setup and I have about 100 bucks into mine and costs me about 20 bucks to exchange it at phoenix welding supply.

I wouldn't be worried about the regulator breaking I have had mine strapped down in the back of my rig now for 3 years and nothing has ever happened

B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

Questionable Smittybilt set up? Had mine for 3 months now and has worked flawlessly the half dozen times I've used it. I have yet to have any issues with it.
I have been using the hellbor fright hose with the pressure gauge as well. That thing is a piece of crap! Broke the first day I used it and had to make a repair right off. The gauge itself is 5 frikkin' psi off! I'm gonna be replacing this today. Used it twice yesterday and at first I was riding around thinking my air pressure was where it was supposed to be but unbeknownst to me I was riding 5 psi lighter than what I wanted!!!

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

With how cheap refills are at sierra, I might have to consider a smaller tank to keep on hand for when the 10lb'er runs dry. Guessing the threads on that 5lb tank are the same as any other? Save more than a few bucks by just moving my existing regulator over when needed.

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

B1ackSh33p wrote:
Questionable Smittybilt set up? Had mine for 3 months now and has worked flawlessly the half dozen times I've used it. I have yet to have any issues with it.
I have been using the hellbor fright hose with the pressure gauge as well. That thing is a piece of crap! Broke the first day I used it and had to make a repair right off. The gauge itself is 5 frikkin' psi off! I'm gonna be replacing this today. Used it twice yesterday and at first I was riding around thinking my air pressure was where it was supposed to be but unbeknownst to me I was riding 5 psi lighter than what I wanted!!!

I for sure wanted a tank made in the USA, not big on Chinese made pressure vessels.

I'll see how the chuck holds up with the high pressures of co2, I have another one of these that I use frequently on a compressor that has been spot on when double checked with a gauge. I'll also carry a spare.
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

I made a mount for it yesterday. It's a little overkill(1/4" and 3/16" plate) but oh well. If it's worth building, it's worth over building! May add some gussets & plasti dip.

donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to build a co2 set-up. Reply with quote

I have an extra 20 pound tank ill get rid of for 35 bucks if anyone wants to start this

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: