Wednesday, May 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Tonopah
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1930

People Online:
Members: 3
Visitors: 23
Total: 26
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: ColoradoBound > Forums
02: ratfink > Home
03: switaki > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAMBA
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Ok, another bit a time spent in garage today, we started with the fab of the rear lower link mount crossmember, it is composed of 6 different pieces a metal cut, 1- 1 3/4 tube, 4- 4 1/4X7.5 3/16" plate, and 1- 3/16" plate the length of the tube.

MAMBA
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Whats FREAKIN AWESOME is that it is a removable crossmember held in place with 8 (4 on each side) bolts, so removing tranny or doubler will not be a P.I.T.A.

Below is roughly where rear lower link mount tabs will be placed, there is some shaping left to do to the plate...

And we ended the day by cutting the rear of the frame OFF, it will still need more cutting but this gives us the ability to start on the link upper link mount tabs without having all that extra frame in the way

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Da yum!

conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

So far, so good!

KF7YII
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

You SURE you want to do this? You may be nearing the point of no return to stock.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Chigoe wrote:
You SURE you want to do this? You may be nearing the point of no return to stock.
And probably void your warranty!

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
MAMBA
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Chigoe wrote:

Stock? Thats in NYC correct? Laughing

Id be wheelin the 4runner if i wanted stock...

MAMBA
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

So ANOTHER long day at the shop today, started off by welding some jam nuts unto some round tube that we are using for mock up, we/i decided to go with Aluminum links all the way around, anyhow,

Look at Doc at work...

The mock up links ready for mock up...

Heres the links mocked up on mounts...

Now, notice the additional shaping (as i had mentioned b4)on the crossmember, weight reduction/cool factor holes were cut, triangles were shaped to allow max down travel on heims. That crossmember looks kinda looks like the Batman sign from underneath, BADASS!!!, Ill take pics next time to show you...

Now, i wanna say that Doc CUTS NO CORNERS, if its not PERFECT, or NEAR PERFECT its not being welded, ive noticed plenty of times where "I" would have said, "just leave it", but Doc says, "just a lil more and its good", now this not being HIS rig it is being built as if it was, thats Doc. I honestly thought that this was gonna BE allot easier than what ive seen so far, this is an ART Doc is the ARTIST!

Thanks for ALL the help Doc,

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Stock is what I keep on the racks until it comes down to get cut and bent.

Seriously enjoying this build. I learned a lot from the last one and this is giving me the chance to make use of those lessons.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

I was thinking the links would hit in that area, but figured there was a plan so I kept quiet.

Turned out amazing, that's pretty cool!

KF7YII
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

There's still a bit more to do there. The trailing edge will get a vertical support, there will be some boxing-in over the top of the captures, and some drain holes in the pockets created by the low center.

I have another cross member to do in the front. It will also be bolt-in like this one. The front cross member will suport the mid half driveshaft, and front lower link mounts.

glideraz wrote:
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Doc, with the front shaft as short and steep as it ends up, wouldn't
a split shaft increase the angle further?
Or does the trans/transfer setup require it?

Also, are you crunching suspension numbers with software/modeling, a pencil and pad, or using "that looks about right" process for the suspension points?
I remember you spending quite a while on the Turtle suspension when it was starting out, just getting some numbers right.
Ive found it considerably more difficult to get good suspension numbers/locations etc, with the Toyota due mostly to my tire size choice of 36".
...the truck needed to be higher, but the suspension seemed to want it lower.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

There are two puzzles with the links/driveshaft relationship.

On the front shaft, I *could* just run a straight shaft from the transfer case to the axle, and I agree that would be better for the U joints. However, unless I use extremely long links that mount to the frame near the transfer case, that puts the drive shaft lower than the links, and I'd prefer that the drive shaft is tucked up above the links.

The other issue is steering. The front lower links need to angle inward toward the frame to avoid getting hit by the wheel at full lock. With a reasonable length link, this puts the attachment point on the frame inboard of the frame rails, and so there probably needs to be a cross member to mount off of. If there's a cross member, the drive shaft needs to go over it and then we're back to needing a two piece shaft with a joint over the cross member.

For suspension numbers, there are two components. One is using the "link calculator" which is a spreadsheet developed by a Pirate member and is widely available. The problem is that it's based on so many assumptions which are likely to be just wild-ass guesses, that it's almost better to run it after the build is done. It's still useful, but not as much as I wish it were.

There's one thing I learned when I did the Turtle Monster that is glaringly missing from the link calculator. This is that I needed to do some pencil and paper drawings with a compass, to see what the pinion angle does through the suspension cycle. It's subtle and sensitive to small changes. Basically, with changes in the angles and lengths of upper and lower links, the pinion might stay pointing at the transfer case or it might swing up and down, causing the joints to have to flex a lot.

I'll be doing that part this weekend for Nestor's build. I'll post a pic.

glideraz wrote:
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

Details,details

azfj owners are the best
MAMBA
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Say Die: Rebuilding the Green Mamba Reply with quote

So sorry to say (Not really) that this build thread will be taken over by Glider, I DONT have the knowledge and Doc is a Surgeon for Christ's sake, (not much free time)... i came acrrloss a deal i could NOT pass on, $2600. + a couple guns was my cost on my New Rig. I MIGHT start a new build thread, but i dont see much interest here on Solid Axle Rigs..(Duh, AZ"FJ")...

Meet The Newly Baptized "Green Mamba"!!!

The details as i picked her up...

Front axle:
Stock gusseted housing, Trail Gear high pinion third member, cryo treated 5.29 gears, Solid machined side adjusters. Solid pinion spacer, Full Detroit locker, Double drilled flange. Assembled by trail-gear. The front diff is installed using stud eleminators ( basically allen bolts driven in from the inside) The inner axles are stock. The birfs are trail-gear 4030 alloy (27 spline). Knuckles have trail-gear trinion bearing eliminators , trail-gear high steer arms (stock studs as for as I know. The rear is a non-ifs 4cl housing with a v6 third member, Yukon 5.29's, trail-gear full spool, stock shafts. Rear drive shaft is a Tatons long spline with Dana 1310 u joints. Transmission is a one piece L52. Front reduction is stock 2.28:1, rear reduction is Marlin crawler 4.7:1, Marlin adapter. Engine is a 22r with "Got Propane" kit,

On the way are Trail Gear Gun Drilled 30Spline birfs, Six Shooter knuckles and Marlin's HD inmer shaft Seal, i broke both birfs on friday mornings Collateral Damage Run, i had to finish trail with only the 2 rears engaging... Winch well worth the investment... once i took her apart i saw that knuckles had taken a beating from broken star on both birfs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: