Sunday, November 19, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: geibral
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1984

People Online:
Members: 3
Visitors: 40
Total: 43
Who Is Where:
 Members:
02: Grumpysonne > Home
03: RhynoFlyer > Forums
Hidden: 1
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Offroad Trailer build
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Offroad Trailer build
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Where did you get the tail lights? Wanting to redo mine. Just wondering if you found a super deal.

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Don't forget you have to get this thing a title and then registration. You can have permanent registration (one time fee), but you'll have to start by getting a vehicle identification number and title issued. Then, they can register it to you and give you a plate with a tag that says "PERM".

Don't wait till you're done. I would recommend to call and find out if you can at least get the VIN sticker issued earlier.

Step one will be to call your closest MVD office and ask how they want to issue a VIN sticker for a custom built trailer. They may say they need to do a level 3 inspection (this is the one done by an actual officer, not just any old third party MVD office clerk). For a level 3, you need to make an appointment. You might call around to some of the third party MVD offices to see if they can get you around this process quicker, but I'm guessing you'll be sent to the MVD proper.

When you go, they may want to see a receipt for the trailer axle. I doubt that they'd want receipts for anything else, certainly not the raw steel, but if you have saved any others like the lights or wiring harness, then throw those into a file and save them together. The central goals of level 3 inspection are to make sure that the major components of a vehicle are not recycled from stolen vehicles, and that there are no obvious legal infractions already involved. It's not a weld inspection. It's not a towing stability test. If you showed up with some construction of duct tape and rust, they might actually tell you that they won't issue the VIN, but short of that, they've seen and certified all kinds of trash as usable on the highway so you're going to get nothing but compliments. If I know you at all, you'll worry about this anyway, but don't. Seriously. It's mostly about receipts. Some inspectors don't even look at the vehicle.

If they do, there are only a few applicable laws, as I recall, for trailers.
28-925. Tail lamps
A. A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle that is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear. When lighted as required by this article, the tail lamp shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, except that in the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.
B. A tail lamp on a vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches to be measured as provided in section 28-923, subsection B.
C. Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed in a manner that illuminates with a white light the rear license plate and renders it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. A tail lamp or tail lamps together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear license plate shall be wired to provide that the tail lamp or lamps are lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

ARS 28-929 Additional lighting equipment required on certain vehicles

4. On a trailer or semitrailer with a gross weight of more than three thousand pounds:
(a) On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side.
(b) On each side, two side marker lamps, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear. Vehicles that exceed thirty feet in length shall have a third side marker lamp at the midpoint between the front and rear marker lamps.
(c) On each side, two reflectors, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear. Vehicles that exceed thirty feet in length shall have a third reflector at the midpoint between the front and rear reflectors.
(d) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side, and two reflectors, one at each side, and two stoplights.

28-939. Signal lamps and devices
A. A motor vehicle may be equipped and if required under this article shall be equipped with the following:
1. A stop lamp on the rear that emits a red or yellow light, that is actuated on application of the service or foot brake and that may be incorporated with a tail lamp.
2. One or more lamps or a mechanical signal device that is capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and that is visible both from the front and rear.
B. A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime. A signal lamp or lamps indicating the intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet both to the front and rear. If a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, the lamp or lamps shall:
1. Be maintained at all times in good working condition.
2. Not project a glaring or dazzling light.
C. A mechanical signal device shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times provided in section 28-922.

C. A person may operate a vehicle with a total width of the vehicle or the load on the vehicle of not more than one hundred two inches, exclusive of safety equipment

Whatever level inspection they want to use, you're going to have to show up somewhere to get the VIN sticker slapped on, so you're going to have to tow the thing on the road (unless you want to cart it around on a flat bed trailer... hadn't thought about that... but it's possible.

Step two, then, is to get a "restricted use 3-day permit" which legally allows you to tow your trailer to the appointment. The reason that you need to do this AFTER you make the appointment is that you're not necessarily going to get the appointment within 3 days of your call. The three day permit isn't free, so don't waste your money until you know when you're going to have your appointment.

Although there is an online system to obtain the permit, you have to have a VIN to use it, and that's exactly what you don't have. For you, the permit comes from a MVD office or a third party MVD office. I recommend third party.

There are tons of these facilities around town. They cost more than going to the MVD, but there's little or no waiting, and many are open late.

Be careful. Some of these are pretty sketchy places because they're also "title loan" businesses where people go to borrow cash short term against their cars. Some of these people can look a little desperate. If you go at night, go with a buddy who can watch your back. Seriously.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

You will need mud flaps that reach down to at least 8" from the ground. I know that sounds ludicrous but I used to sell fire extinguisher demo trailers that were made from the HF kits and that's what they always failed us on. Stupid Mud flaps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

donkeypuncher wrote:
Where did you get the tail lights? Wanting to redo mine. Just wondering if you found a super deal.
I got them at harbor freight with a 25% off coupon also got the wire kit around 8.00 Dollars
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Thanks John you just saved me a whole allot of research getting my trailer a title and plates.
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

No third party could help me, called adot they told me I should have the trailer finished and ready for a inspection. Spot on about the receipts tearing the garage apart looking for them. Its only going to cost a dollar for the three day permit without a vin to be issued after inspection. I'm just going to finish what needs to be done to call it a finished trailer to get the vin for it.
bloodhound
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

when I got my VIN it was just a cheesey sticker (lost in 2 days)
after you get it stamp or weld the numbers on the frame

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

"Finished" means towable and has the legal lights and reflectors. You can modify your "finished" trailer all you want.

With that in mind, though, you do want to have paint on metal at some point. If you spray it and let it dry for a day or two before you put reflector tape on it, that would be ideal. Also this would be ideal for the VIN sticker. You don't want to be doing masking tape on your reflectors and VIN sticker.

So whatever metal you already have that you know you're going to weld in place, you can do that first and then spray and then apply reflectors. You can always change it later.

There's no problem with wire wheeling paint away on places you want to weld. In the "rust belt" states, people routinely paint or primer their metal constructions during assembly and then just re-expose bare steel for welds.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Who much does that thing weigh just curious??

ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
"Finished" means towable and has the legal lights and reflectors.

Ok you gave me more thought, trailer will be completely done with all the mods and painted because I'm not taking off paint to finish welding things on. I did call the inspection place need three red lighted id red markers on the bumper ,and two yellow reflectors on the side. also the tail, turn and stop lights
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

azflycaster1 wrote:
Who much does that thing weigh just curious??

No idea I can grab the wheel wells and lift one side off the ground.
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Doc I'm thinking I should of did the tail lights horizontal instead of vertical .I might have to do a small red marker light to the edge of the rear step .

Here is some of the wheel well with some diamond plate not welded on yet.
cruiser.308
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

ClutchBurner wrote:
No third party could help me, called adot they told me I should have the trailer finished and ready for a inspection. Spot on about the receipts tearing the garage apart looking for them. Its only going to cost a dollar for the three day permit without a vin to be issued after inspection. I'm just going to finish what needs to be done to call it a finished trailer to get the vin for it.
Make sure you register it before mounting a bed and/or tent on there, chances are they will consider it travel trailer and you won't be able to get permanent tags for it. It bit me in the ass before, not sure if anything chainged since. You can only register your travel trailer for one or two years at the time PITA if you ask me.

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

My rear markers are reflectors. The front markers are lights. The reflector tape should be sufficent for the rear markers.
AZFJRay
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

nimrag wrote:
My rear markers are reflectors. The front markers are lights. The reflector tape should be sufficent for the rear markers.

That's the same on my trailer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: