Sunday, November 19, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: geibral
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1984

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 60
Total: 61
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: ratfink > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Offroad Trailer build
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Offroad Trailer build
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
I don't recommend running truck tires on a trailer. It's a lot of drag and a lot of weight for nothing. There's no drive torque applied, so all that sidewall and all that tread is wasted.

What axle rating did you choose?
Rated 3500 compleat over kill .I here you on useing a truck tire for a trailer,to late for that allready factored in on the build.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Good axle choice.

Total overkill on the axle and the tires.

One good thing about overkill is that you never worry about it being not enough.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
Used truck tires are harder to balance, and without the weight of the truck and the shock absorbers, bad balance turns into highway hop.

Truck tires are wider and heavier. That's rolling resistance and resistance to acceleration.

If you have a truck AND a trailer out on dirt roads, I would recommend having two spares, even if they're identical.

Truck tires are taller and give more ground clearance. That's not trivial. However, unless you're trailer camping on the Rubicon, you're not going to be rock crawling with a trailer to the extent where ground clearance is the make or break property of the trailer.

Trailer tires are designed to hold higher pressures, support more weight, and they don't mush to the side when you come around a corner.

John this is my first big project,So any advise would gladly be used and taken.All my steel squair tubing is all .120 wall again over kill .So the frame will be very heavy but the axle rateing will handle it.

John Any reason a leaf spring end which is hardend would come with my hanger kit? I do not think it would wise for me to weld it to my frame good chance it would crack.
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Not a bad first day, was ready to start welding the frame forgot to fill my argon bottle.Will have to wait till next weekend.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

If it's really the end of a leaf spring, then I wouldn't think it's been hardened. Springs are tough, and not hard by nature. The supplier may actually be offering it as a weld-on shackle hanger. Another option would be to make your own shackle mounting point with tabs and a small piece of tube. You could even through-drill the frame and put a piece of tube in there and weld it in place.

I don't think .120 wall is overkill at all. I think it's a great choice. Thinner, and you'd be fighting deformation during your welds.

For me, controlling deformation is the biggest challenge. For small projects that I can tack directly to my welding table, it's pretty easy, but for larger projects I end up with a fight on my hands.

I have a segment of 8" wide flange I beam that you might want to borrow. The flats are very useful to clamp or tack weld to, and the thing will NOT deform. You could tack the pieces to the beam, tack them all together, do all the welds and then cut the project loose after it fully cools.

That's what I did with my fish tank stand.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
greenhornet06
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

That is a nice looking trailer so far.

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Very interested to see this when complete. The worst thing I ever did was get rid of my old Coleman Taos with a flipped axle and 14" tires it had 20" of ground clearance, I would put my gear on top ant bounce it over anything. The wood frame was just starting to crack when I sold it. Lol

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

www.walmart.com/msharb...90&veh=sem

Just because...

donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

azflycaster1 wrote:
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/23751561?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Just because...
Well that's just plain silly

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

azflycaster1 wrote:
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/23751561?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Just because...

Wouldn't your chit fall off?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Very curious to see how the rest of your setup goes! Gonna have it ready for Overland Expo in May?

WA7LDO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

mattbeaty wrote:
Very curious to see how the rest of your setup goes! Gonna have it ready for Overland Expo in May?
My plans are to have it ready for my fishing trip in May.
bushwacker
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Clutch, good post! I like the idea of having all matching tires. I also like overkill, better safe than sorry. What kind of hitch set-up are you thinking?

Where are you going in May?

desert_fj
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Right when I was about to drop some trailer tire knowledge BellyDoc beats me to it. Boooo....
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

bushwacker wrote:
Clutch, good post! I like the idea of having all matching tires. I also like overkill, better safe than sorry. What kind of hitch set-up are you thinking?

Where are you going in May?

Was going to make a swiveling type hitch.Im going where they cut down a Christmas tree for the white house front lawn.The lake is called Christmas tree lake,where apache trout live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: