Wednesday, September 20, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: petertohen
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1970

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 63
Total: 64
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: SKAAR > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Offroad Trailer build
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Offroad Trailer build
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

I been playing around with the Idea to build me a offroad trailer,to be able to get my custom built flyfishing pram into some remote lake through out the mid west.Well I got off my ass and pulled the trigger.Here are some pictures for a start,pictures of build will follow as things get built.The pram will have to be on top and I plan on making my own roof top tent which will be made as a slide out.

Picture of my fishing pram
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

awesome idea

azfj owners are the best
RunnerRick
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Clutch I use the same float tube. I have caught more fish in the fly in my tube in the last 1 1/2 years then I ever caught prior. I really wanna fish less ferry and the san juan and every where else I can.
duner
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Cool, been thinking of the same or buying a Moby1 but man they are expensive. Hope things go well and want to see pics of progress!
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

You done yet?

ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

RunnerRick wrote:
Clutch I use the same float tube. I have caught more fish in the fly in my tube in the last 1 1/2 years then I ever caught prior. I really wanna fish less ferry and the san juan and every where else I can.

Here are some trout I caught in that blue flote tube.It will not be long the spawn will be ramping up at lees ferry, and the trout will move into the shallows to spawn.No joke you will have trout friends, following you all day when you walk in the river to eat the bugs you stir up as you walk.

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Hhmmm.....been there done that...

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Clutch got smacked with a fish by the new guy...LOVE IT!!!

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Homedad wrote:
Clutch got smacked with a fish by the new guy...LOVE IT!!!

Nah, that's a close-up of some sardines taken with a macro lens. Almost fooled me, too. If they were real he'd be standing in the photo.

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

phoenix.craigslist.org...50829.html

This would be perfect!

Junior
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Can I get in on this one?

Sunrise Lake brown trout:

Whitehorse Lake pan-sized rainbows:

East Fork Black River last September, introducing the dog:

Tiny native golden trout up in the Sierra Nevadas (some of the most fun I've ever had fishing, these tiny buggers - you'd creep up on the meandering stream through the meadow, and dangle a fly tied to a three-foot leader off the end of whatever stick you brought. Watching them fight each other off to get to it first. What a hoot.):

EDIT: Waitaminute - this was about a trailer... got carried away. Very Happy

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

I don't recommend running truck tires on a trailer. It's a lot of drag and a lot of weight for nothing. There's no drive torque applied, so all that sidewall and all that tread is wasted.

What axle rating did you choose?

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
I don't recommend running truck tires on a trailer. It's a lot of drag and a lot of weight for nothing. There's no drive torque applied, so all that sidewall and all that tread is wasted.

What axle rating did you choose?

There is no benefit to having the same size as the tow rig to reduce the number of spares?
It also allows you to rotate those almost worn out truck tires onto the trailer as you buy new for the tow rig...no?

...nice fish!
ClutchBurner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Here are some progress pics.Fj factory steelie rim perfect fit and match for a 63"dexter axle will give you a same foot print as your fj.Frame will be 4x6 should have a rolling chassis by next weekend,time is on my side I have plenty.

Frame clearence from tire will be around 1"1/2 when snuged up.

This hanger kit will be going back to auto saftey house,No idea why they would include a leaf spring end which is hardend spring steel no way will I weld that to my frame.Any kit I found online had u-channel hangers front and back.

Bringing out the big hen, I catch trout that will eat your guppys.Caught at big lake.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad Trailer build Reply with quote

Used truck tires are harder to balance, and without the weight of the truck and the shock absorbers, bad balance turns into highway hop.

Truck tires are wider and heavier. That's rolling resistance and resistance to acceleration.

If you have a truck AND a trailer out on dirt roads, I would recommend having two spares, even if they're identical.

Truck tires are taller and give more ground clearance. That's not trivial. However, unless you're trailer camping on the Rubicon, you're not going to be rock crawling with a trailer to the extent where ground clearance is the make or break property of the trailer.

Trailer tires are designed to hold higher pressures, support more weight, and they don't mush to the side when you come around a corner.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: