Wednesday, December 19, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 96
Total: 96
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › AZFJ Alert Messenger
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
AZFJ Alert Messenger
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

OK, first of all. My apologies for anyone that got nailed last night with my little test. I didn't realize that by creating a group that it would automatically send out a blast text to everyone.

That being said. I think this could work as an Alert Messenger as long as we abide by a couple basic ground rules.

1. This messenger is to ONLY be used in the event of someone needing help.

2. DO NOT respond to the blast message. If you feel you need to talk to the person that sent it then call or text them outside of the messenger. (Although I think there may be a way to respond too. Still checking)

3. Make sure all information is included in the main blast. Who is in need, where they are, and what the trouble is.

If you would like to be part of the group then PM me your cell number and I will make a list for a group. When I believe that all the names have been compiled that want to be part of it I will create the list and it will send a blast text to all, I assume letting you know that it was created.

It is important that we abide by the rules for this because with as many people could be on the list it could really ugly really fast. Ask me I know.... Laughing

What say you peeps???
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

If I were stuck in the desert right now and had cell service, how/who would get this message out to everyone?

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

count me in Bruce

great idea and well intentioned!

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

Pass. Text messages on the Sprint network are slower than Pony Express half the time. At least if it were email I'd get it instantly on one or more of the devices I leave Gmail open 24/7.

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

Hi Bruce

Still love ya after the smack
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

I'd be in too Bruce,
Used to manage this for our agency in the "Alert Sense" system when Pima County had it running. It was pretty cool seeing where the storms / floods were during monsoons. They don't pay for it any more.

I think we should all agree on a format and NAME> Everyone knows what an AMBER alert is, and that it contains a VEHICLE Description and License plate.

I think at a minimum
    COUNTY (This would be important if we could group by location)
    FORUM NAME
    VEHICLE (Description & COLOR)
    REPORTED COORDINATES or CLOSEST intersection
    PROBLEM (Vehicle Stuck in Mud, Rolled over, Mechanical failure, etc)
    ASSISTANCE REQUESTED (Like Tow, Medical, Evacuation, Gas, Etc).
    ADDITIONAL: directions, special hazards, etc.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

That is a good idea Jim, but you need to remember that this is a text service. I am not sure if there is a limit on the character count. This is new to me so I am still learning it. 1Louder on the other hand has used this in the past with some pilot friends I guess so he would be able to explain it better. Maybe he will chime in.

If I understand this right, once the group is created (not sure if everyone has to download the app, but I would suspect you do. It is free.) if you need to send a Alert text you just open the app, bring up the group, type your message and send. It will automatically send to everyone in the group. However, any responses will also go to everyone in the group. Hence, last nights issue. I did notice that the messaging stopped sending to the ones that never responded to the original text. But in my opinion, it look to long for that to happen. I don't want peoples phone going crazy over this. That is why I made rule 1 and 2.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

Homedad wrote:
Hi Bruce

Still love ya after the smack

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

I should add too. There is an Emergency Contact list out there. I will NOT be adding names to the Alert Messenger from the Emergency Contact list unless specifically requested to do so. So if you are on the E-list don't assume you will automatically be on the Alert Messenger.
microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

Not sure how the text service works, but you could also create a gmail account and set up some filters.
If Subject contains "help" and "Tucson" the email gets forwarded to a group of people.
If Subject contains "help" and "Table Mesa" the email goes to another group.
SPAM should be minimized by the filters and it could go to email address and SMS.
You could also use gotomeeting, google hangouts or another group meeting software or dial in number so multiple people could all talk live and get info about what's going on and what help is needed.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

Eric, I am looking for something that everyone will be able to have so the Alert Message or email or whatever it is can be sent by anyone in the group. Doing it in gmail would limit it to the sender with the group set up. Everyone would have to set up their own gmail account to do it.

As for the other google whatever. you would be asking people to join google. not everyone has a google account. Great ideas though.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

I have been discussing this with microbe and he has a great idea using email. His idea is a great one. Would email or texting be better?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

Why not both?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

I think both would be best. SMS with basic info and email would have the rest of the message.
Just found out that sprint no longer allows SMS to phone.number @ messaging.sprintpcs.com. Not sure if other carriers killed this as well. I'm looking at what options sprint gives to use an email address to send a SMS
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Alert Messenger Reply with quote

ok, I have created a gmail account that you can send an email to and it will forward your message to whoever is in the group. If this is better for you or you want to be listed in both let me know. Send me your cell number for the Alert Message and your email address for the gmail messenger.

I am liking the email messenger better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: