Wednesday, April 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 33
Total: 33
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shen
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
This is a fairly short, easy trail just outside of Wickenburg with a few nice things to see. I don't know that I would recommend a trip out to the area just for this trail, but if you find yourself in the Wickenburg area with an hour or so to kill, there are a couple of nice sites.

Group Size:
With the exception of a short narrow section in the box, the river bed is very open and could accomodate large groups. The river bed opens up past the box, leaving plenty of room to turn around.

Difficulty

2.0 - This is not a particularly difficult trail, and only receives a 2.0 rating because there is travel through sand (both wet and dry), which can obviously present the risk of getting stuck. In rainy weather the water flow increases, so that could affect difficulty.

Length
The trail can vary in length depending on where you turn around. Getting through the box section of the canyon and back will be approximately 12 miles, and count on about an hour to complete the trail.

Take a right on Rincon Road from the 93 about 1/2 mile northwest of Wickenburg. You can enter the riverbed and go north from a couple of spots off Rincon. Once in the river bed its a short drive to water and the box canyon. The Backcountry Adventures book details a route back out on some graded roads, but I'd recommend just turning around and taking the riverbed back out the way you came.

Aerial of the trail:
Can this be done in Google Earth? I'll update if I figure out how. Very Happy

Pictures

The view entering the riverbed:

A nice shady spot on the trail:

The box:

Getting help airing up on the way out:

azfjcrusin
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River) Reply with quote

Is there water there this time of year?
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River) Reply with quote

looks like a fun trail to go fast through, splashing in the sand and mud. I've always wanted to do this and buckhorn creek trail which is nearby also.
shen
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River) Reply with quote

azfjcrusin wrote:
Is there water there this time of year?

There sure is. I took these pictures this past Sunday. There were actually people panning for gold in the river.

azfjcrusin
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River) Reply with quote

Ok, so when'r we doin this?
AARC51
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

I got stuck in this very river in Feb. It CAN happen.
PSFAN
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

been there a couple of years ago ,fun area to play in
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

watch out for drunken Wickenburgians throwing beer cans.
Remcon
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm actually surprised that there's not more of that type of behavior happening there. It's pretty close to the bars and a 'main drag' where them types can show off their 'compensational short-comings' for lack of a better term.

By 'compensational short-comings', I mean to say that them types go out and get dusty/muddy riding their HAWT atvs after trailering them what 2-3 miles from home? Then they head into town to cool off at the local bar where they regal each other, usually loudly, about how cool it was to [insert whatever they think is cool here] until some a-hole came through in their 4x4 on THEIR atv trail! The nerve of some people who actually use a 4x4 for what it was designed for!

I think we've all been a victim of that kind of sloppy-skilled person at one time or another. Time for more chlorine in the shallow end of the gene pool.

That's what I think anyway.

I think you did right by ignoring them bungholes Ed. Attention is what they were after and you denied them that by not reacting to their antagonism. Kudos dude.

And now with 3" OME lift!
azfjcrusin
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

Hey, watch it! That's me! But I also 4 wheel my FJ so I guess I don't count. Very Happy

Remcon wrote:
Honestly, I'm actually surprised that there's not more of that type of behavior happening there. It's pretty close to the bars and a 'main drag' where them types can show off their 'compensational short-comings' for lack of a better term.

By 'compensational short-comings', I mean to say that them types go out and get dusty/muddy riding their HAWT atvs after trailering them what 2-3 miles from home? Then they head into town to cool off at the local bar where they regal each other, usually loudly, about how cool it was to [insert whatever they think is cool here] until some a-hole came through in their 4x4 on THEIR atv trail! The nerve of some people who actually use a 4x4 for what it was designed for!

I think we've all been a victim of that kind of sloppy-skilled person at one time or another. Time for more chlorine in the shallow end of the gene pool.

That's what I think anyway.

I think you did right by ignoring them bungholes Ed. Attention is what they were after and you denied them that by not reacting to their antagonism. Kudos dude.
usmc47
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

Jus ran this again last saturday night 10-12-13 and was kinda washed out, made it more fun, i made it all the way through in 2 wheel. well buried once in the deep sandy wash before the canyon. My buddy pulled me out and jus laid heavy on the throttle after that. was a great night run to show my buddy from boston a little bit of the desert.

az4runner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

Can you camp back in there?

someone please remove jimbolio's access to google.
KG7HEZ
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

There are a few places, yes. But I would make damn sure of where you are when set camp up. I have seen that river go from nothing to full flow in minutes, and when the Hassayampa starts flowing there it is never slow, especially through the box canyon.
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
There are a few places, yes. But I would make damn sure of where you are when set camp up. I have seen that river go from nothing to full flow in minutes, and when the Hassayampa starts flowing there it is never slow, especially through the box canyon.

Clear weather forecast, no worries. Hassayampa is an underground river and only occasionally surfaces in places like Box Canyon. It's an Indian name that means upside-down river. Next time I go out there I'll try to remember to bring a metal detector. I saw some deep pockets (gold!) in places along the canyon. And, don't drink the water...

Those who drink its waters bright-
Red man, white man, boor or knight,
Girls or women, boys or men-
Never tell the truth again

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Hassayampa River)-2.0 Reply with quote

AZFJTOY wrote:
FatRat wrote:

Clear weather forecast, no worries. Hassayampa is an underground river and only occasionally surfaces in places like Box Canyon. It's an Indian name that means upside-down river. Next time I go out there I'll try to remember to bring a metal detector. I saw some deep pockets (gold!) in places along the canyon. And, don't drink the water...

Those who drink its waters bright-
Red man, white man, boor or knight,
Girls or women, boys or men-
Never tell the truth again

True, but it doesn't change the fact that I have seen that river running full on a few dozen occasions. Most of which there was not weather here at all. All the weather was from up north. I have lived on the west side of the valley over half of my life and have seen all of the rivers flow to capacity at one time or another.

There are places that are not in the riverbed to camp though. I just would never camp in the box canyon itself. You could find yourself stranded for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: