Wednesday, May 23, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: LandCruiserSteve
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2016

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 123
Total: 123
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Land Use › NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!!
Meetings, access issues, cleanups, news, land use info.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

I stand Corrected:
From: info @ friendsofredingtonpass.org [Add to Address Book]
To: longjim @ ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Collaborative Area Management Plan (CAMP)
Date: Nov 24, 2014 3:43 PM
Dear Jim,

Thank you for responding to our request for volunteers to participate in the CAMP process. Would you do us the favor of filling out the volunteer form that can be found by going to this site FRP Form .

Thanks much,

Kirk Emerson

FRP Auto Responder Bot wrote:

Success!

Thank you for your interest in volunteering.
A Friends of Redington Pass member will contact you.
Filled in! Maybe...Just Maybe...It is just going to be neighbors helping neighbors.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

I'm REALLY eating some CROW now:

FRP wrote:
Thank you for volunteering to serve on a working group for the Collaborative Area Management Plan (CAMP) process organized by the Friends of Redington Pass. We would very much welcome your participation on the Specific High-Use/Mis-Use Sites Working Group. All the working groups will be meeting together for the first time on the morning of January 31st 9am to 12pm. We are still working out the facilities location, but for now please put that date on your calendar.
You will be receiving more information in the coming weeks. Again, thank you for your willingness to work on planning for the future management of Redington Pass.
Kirk Emerson
President, FRP

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
robb_in_az
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

Im curious to see what comes out of your interactions with this group.

Was a member of Tucson Off Road before they faded away. We used to do an annual run on the lower loop, plus whatever other fun stuff offered up, the falls, the 3 pools whatever.

Anyway about 3, maybe 2 years ago the last of us were airing up at the circle K close to evening and this fella waddles on up to us smiling and handshaking and then finally introducing himself as a high standing member (might even have been this Kirk E) of the FRP. He started talking about this and that and about how the area needs to change, for the children, and other typical liberal safe-arguments. Smiling the whole time. Smiling like he was kinda getting off on it.

The group of guys that we were with werent all sure what to make of him and are all generally amicable to strangers, but the more he talked the more you just got the feeling he was the kind of guy that would stand there and smile in your face all while orchestrating somebody else to stab you in the back, saying and doing whatever he had to ... all so that he would have less dust and traffic for his new backyard right there.

He handed us his FRP card, and then proceeded to let us know that we were sure welcome to help him out in his quest to make Redington road and pass "safer for the children". I remember going home and logging in to the website and it was very clear they arent after multiple use, despite what he was trying to "sell" us.

Its been a couple years, and it might not have been "Kirk" himself, but we all left that night feeling like the end was near, for wheeling there: and this guy had the time, the schmooze, and the inclination to see it thru to the bitter end all while keeping his cool and smiling in your face. Cult style almost.

Good luck man ! Hope my intuition on this guy was wrong this time, maybe Im giving him too much credit.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

They have yet to encounter the "Great Jimbolio"

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

You couldn't have done a better job in hollywood of scripting this.
1st meeting of Friends of Redington Pass CAMP was cancelled by a running wash.

The funniest part was most of the trucks could have crossed this wash with ease, but the volvo's and BMW's would have had an issue.

Kiddmen57
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

Jim, did you attend the first FRP CAMP meeting the other night? If so...update?

Matt Marine of Experience Arizona said it went well and that he is hopeful that good things will come from the partnership.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

I have been holding off waiting for an easy way to link the documents they handed out on Saturday, and again last evening. I think that ALL of you that have wheeled the pass would find the issues being discussed interesting. As for now, I haven't figured out a way to link them so that YOU can open them without a trello account and membership.

You can see the 4 Working groups that are taking up issues as part of the CAMP (Cooperative Area Management Plan) in March Meetings.
I'm in the High Use area group talking about such things as Parking, Bathrooms, grafitti, erosion, bypass trails, etc. I'm blessed that www.experience-az.com/ 's famous Matt Marine is on this working group with me.

Last night the USFS, the board of FRP and at least one or two representatives from each working group met out at Tanque Verde Guest ranch. The TVGR owner is also a working Ranch owner who owns Both Western Leases in the pass. (Eastern lease is A-7 ranch). He runs all the cows in the pass on the trails you have run. He found out last night that in April , the FS is going to do a controlled burn at MP 12 (Where the AZ Trail meets Redington rd) and should head NE - 4200 acres. Guess what trail is near there. Yep, the Chimney rock trail. I'm keeping an eye on this one. He was none to pleased that he would have to move all his cows out of the area.

There is definitely a diverse group of folks at these meetings - Attorneys, Hikers, USFS reps, Bikers, Motobikers, quad/razor folks, OHV, horse, shooters, hunters, Game and Fish. and on and on.

The Forest service said two things last night:
    They are changing leadership (Jim Upchurch getting transferred to NM) and that they are in a little bit of turmoil.

And
    The folks present didn't have the authority to commit any US funds to any CAMP recommendations.

For My part, I support adding more Trash collection points, More signage, more Parking , and More bathrooms in the pass. We have asked for data about erosion - which the attorney said is already in the Travel management plan. (Which is linked here). The specific Santa Catalina District Forest stuff is linked Here Be prepared for a LOT of material. The proposed changes alone are over 1000 pages!
But here's the 50000 foot view of the TMP.

next meeting is March 12th for me. The Access group is meeting next monday. As of now, I haven't heard any statements made publicly that a focus is closing trails.

They are planning a FIELD trip to Chiva on April the 4th. That should be interesting. Gotta make sure my tent is off so I don't tip again.

I may ask some of you to assist.
That's about it for now.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

A chiva field trip?! The attorneys can all ride with me.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Kiddmen57
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Jim. I really appreciate that you take the time to attend the meetings and represent our group. I also appreciate the updates.

Hopefully one day we can all use the area respectfully.

Depending on prior commitments, I will always be willing to volunteer.
I would be OK volunteering to take folk into Chiva.
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

Thanks A LOT JImbolio!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
hypertencio
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

I thought the hard part was just buying the FJ, Now all of this?.... I appreciate all who are able to commit their personal time to keep us informed and contribute to the decision making. Thanks Jim!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

After the November 2014 community meeting on the Redington Pass Collaborative Area Management Plan (CAMP), members of the public were asked to volunteer for four working groups (Recreational Shooting, Recreational Access, Highly used Areas, and Conflicts among Users). FRP received 43 requests to serve on the working groups and were able to accept 35 based on the person's stated familiarity with the Pass and affiliation with organizations or networks related to visiting the Pass as well as on the need to balance each working group across the many different recreational user groups.

The four working groups began their work on the CAMP on February 21st (the previously planned January 31st meeting was cancelled due to heavy rain and a flooding wash). The working group members met altogether at the Tanque Verde Guest Ranch where they reviewed their tasks and CAMP Basics, developed ground rules for their meetings and decided how they would make decisions together. They also had their first individual working group meetings to get acquainted with one another and start digging into the issues that had been discussed at the November meeting.

A second round of working group meetings just concluded in March. These meetings focused on clarifying the underlying problems being addressed in each group and brainstorming very preliminary management recommendations to deal with those problems. A third round of meetings is set for April. More meetings are likely to be planned in May.

Two members from each working group were selected to participate in the Integration Group which met on February 23 to discuss the planning process and review the agenda for the March working group meetings. The Integration Group will meet again in late March to review the collective progress being made on the plan.

At each meeting, needed information is being identified and Coronado National Forest staff and other agencies are helping Rachel Glass assemble requested materials. Working group members will be going on an early April field trip to discuss issues on the ground.

Go to the new CAMP page on our website to see several documents referred to in this Update as well as the list of CAMP working group members.

For those of you that like maps (And I do) Rachael Glass did some fantastic analysis of the pass
friendsofredingtonpass...alysis.pdf

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

Today was the field trip to Redington Pass. There was a good turn out with representatives of each working group of the CAMP process.
I was personally thankful that Klayton (Kidman57) joined me and it turns out he was an important part of the process. K7KCK was the only other Ham out there today.

I even discovered some new areas.

BUT the day started out poorly - with this Razor breaking - on 371 Redington Rd before we even got on any trails - leaving three folks looking for seats. Well, I got some, and Klayton got some:

This is Rachel Glass- who makes all the maps for the FRP. She rode in the precious (Strategically positioned in this photo)
Here we are talking about alternate sites for the shoosting activities.

Possible alternate shooting site - Racetrack tank ... This is an area I had never been in before and it warrants further exploration because it was pretty fun! (Got stuck for a few but RRlocker got me unstuck

A diverse group of folks are on the FRP CAMP groups. Except Klayton, he was a self invitee. But he turned out to be critical to the whole event. Here he is with the nose of his rig.

A diverse group of rigs as well

This is likely a strong candidate for the shooting area as LEO's are already directing shooters back here.

It was almost like the whole day was a staged display of bad behavior, from the trash in the parking lot at Lower Tanque Verde Falls:

To the LONE bathroom in all of Redington Pass. (Piled with Trash, Including a big analog TV that had been shot up)

Proof that this resource needs to be 'Shared'. This MB'r was on a 300 mile backpack bike trip. Where's his backpack?

It was the most crowded with Rigs I have ever seen it at Chiva

Including this "King of the Hammers' looking Samurai thingy

The falls were running - AND somewhere in this picture is my wallet, which must have fallen out of my pocket as I slid down a rock. Damn..

And of course, the only other broken vehicle experienced today was.....

Someone said the dude went over - but I didn't see it. (Or it would have been photoed)

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

I was too sick to attend the Monday April 13 meeting of the HIGH USE CAMP group but the notes are very good to read:
trello-attachments.s3....13.15.docx

I don't know if you can open them, but here is the gist:

They have boiled the issues down to
Facilities (Bathroom/Trash)
Parking
Trail Erosion
Bike/hike trails to the same places we like to go

Let me know if you can't open the word doc, and I'll send it to your email.

Kiddmen57
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW Friends of Reddington Pass Info!!! Reply with quote

Word doc linked worked perfectly for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Land Use All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: