Monday, September 25, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: somjon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1972

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 27
Total: 28
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Yellowmk2 > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › The "I can quit at any time" build thread
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
The "I can quit at any time" build thread
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
KaJeep wrote:
That is some seriously nice stuff! Seeing fitment like that genuinely makes me happy.

Are you going to mig weld your perches on, or tig?

This would all be MIG. I don't have nearly as much experience with TIG as I do with MIG and the heaviest material I've TIG'ed is .120 wall DOM tube. In my hands, MIG is much more forgiving of variable metal prep quality, variable thickness, variable fit-up, etc., and I've destructively tested my weld techniques so that I have a good idea about what's going on under the surface with different machine settings.

I do plan to TIG the cage. Wink
Tig welding thick wall stuff is easy! Prep is definately key though. The axle tubes will suck up lots of heat. Which mig welder are you running?

Cages are tricky in tight spots, especially when you have to use the pedal with your knee.

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I have a Miller 252. It's done great service for me over several years, generally delivering welds which are often better than I deserve.

Here's the build thread from Pirate where I took up fabrication seriously. It's extensive and picture heavy. If you scan through it, you'll see that I don't have a huge amount of experience, but I'm good at learning.

www.pirate4x4.com/foru...money.html

I have no experience with doing internal cages, so just like last build, I've been reading. Generally the plan for this build (unlike the last) will be to use a lot of kit parts, including a cage kit by Redline from CO.

To assemble the cage, I gather that there will be some fitting and tacking to do with the cage initially positioned, then the floor gets cut to drop the cage down from the ceiling. After welding up all the joints, the cage gets raised back up and the floor gets plated.

I've heard stories about that knee action and other strange gyrations. I've also heard mention of hand actuated torch controls, funky bendable torch bodies, shortie back caps, gas lenses, and various gymnastic tricks for dealing with tight spots. I've yet to deal with any of this.

Frankly, until you just brought it up, I'd conveniently forgot about all that stuff...

Ignorance is bliss, but it can also be expensive.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I've seen your welds jon they are awesome I wouldn't be too worried

azfj owners are the best
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Now I'm rethinking the JB... maybe that's the way to go for the cage.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
I have a Miller 252. It's done great service for me over several years, generally delivering welds which are often better than I deserve.

Here's the build thread from Pirate where I took up fabrication seriously. It's extensive and picture heavy. If you scan through it, you'll see that I don't have a huge amount of experience, but I'm good at learning.

www.pirate4x4.com/foru...money.html

I have no experience with doing internal cages, so just like last build, I've been reading. Generally the plan for this build (unlike the last) will be to use a lot of kit parts, including a cage kit by Redline from CO.

To assemble the cage, I gather that there will be some fitting and tacking to do with the cage initially positioned, then the floor gets cut to drop the cage down from the ceiling. After welding up all the joints, the cage gets raised back up and the floor gets plated.

I've heard stories about that knee action and other strange gyrations. I've also heard mention of hand actuated torch controls, funky bendable torch bodies, shortie back caps, gas lenses, and various gymnastic tricks for dealing with tight spots. I've yet to deal with any of this.

Frankly, until you just brought it up, I'd conveniently forgot about all that stuff...

Ignorance is bliss, but it can also be expensive.
Cutting the floor and plating it afterwards is most certainly the way to go. A toxic cup would be nice for a cage. Not too long and tons of gas coverage. Hand controls would be nice too.

I run a #12 cup with a medium back cap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: