Wednesday, May 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Tonopah
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1930

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 38
Total: 40
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: ratfink > Forums
02: usmc47 > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › The "I can quit at any time" build thread
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
The "I can quit at any time" build thread
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Been meaning to build a cart for the plasma cutter for years.

Once I got that done, I started to assemble the compressor shed.

At this point I have everything done but the roof and the anchor brackets. the roof needs some modification to allow the shed to sit flush to the wall. The front wall is on as is the door. Next comes the air plumbing.

glideraz wrote:
2_Screws
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I'm disappointed.
I still haven't seen a quote request for an overhead crane. What good is a shop without a bridge crane in it??? Wink

This is going to cost me a lot of money isn't it...
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

2_Screws wrote:
I'm disappointed.
I still haven't seen a quote request for an overhead crane. What good is a shop without a bridge crane in it??? Wink

Is that new kiddo hamperin' your sales skillz???

You should have a contract by now! Cool

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I'm taking a Gatorade break while some spray paint dries, so I'll post a few pics.

My shop air system is almost done.

The compressor is now banished to this shed outside the garage:

As you can see, there's some growing room in case I want to upgrade later to a 60 gallon system.

The compressor output goes into a short section of steel pipe which goes through the wall:

On the inside, the steel pipe goes to a regulator/filter and then into the air plumbing:

The air plumbing is mounted so that condensation drips back into the filter or at the other ends it goes into low points with release valves below the air chucks.

Here's the run to the front of the garage:

Here's the chuck at the end with it's relief valve underneath:

Here's the run to the back of the garage:

... which, at present, terminates here:

... because it's waiting for the paint to dry on this bracket:

... before I finally add this block:

glideraz wrote:
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Nice Syncrowave Very Happy is it a 200?

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Yeah it's a 200. I'm teaching myself TIG. The Millermatic 252 does all the work until that's ready.

glideraz wrote:
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
Yeah it's a 200. I'm teaching myself TIG. The Millermatic 252 does all the work until that's ready.
Same machine that pays my bills. If you ever need help with it, let me know.

conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
I'm taking a Gatorade break while some spray paint dries, so I'll post a few pics.

My shop air system is almost done.

The compressor is now banished to this shed outside the garage:

Looking pretty civilized! Like it!

KF7YII
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

The shop is nice and all...but what happened to the truck you were building???

Here's a photo if you forgot about that little detail...

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

It's literally on the back burner. It's cornered in by the parts donor for Nestor's build, which, in turn, is cornered in by the trailer.

I haven't lost sight of the goal. Don't forget that I moved house so I could get my shop space in order. As far as I'm concerned this is still part of moving in!

The order of events will be:

1) Ready the shop.
2) Rebuild Nestor's rig.
3) Build my family wheeler.

The weekend was productive. The air system had a couple of leaks that needed some wrenching and then it was done.

Next, I got a fair amount of organizing done. Most everything has been given a home or at least has been piled near where it will get one eventually.

I upgraded my HF shop crane by replacing the hand operated bottle jack style ram with an air-hydraulic ram. This is something I've been meaning to do for years.

I cut the big parts for my cantilever racks. I'm going to have to do a fair amount of custom shaping to get this plan to work. The floor slopes but the racks have to be level. This may be a great time to get a laser level, which I have plans for later, too.

glideraz wrote:
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

So I'm getting closer to where this thread and the "Never Say Die" thread merge for a period... except there was a small setback.

I got high speed rear-ended last Friday. I was southbound on 67th Ave at Peoria, fully stopped, 1 car back from the crosswalk, waiting at a red light. I'd been stopped for a few seconds. I didn't even hear brake squeal or skidding, and I hadn't looked in the rearview mirror (which was nice because my neck was straight).

I got rammed HARD by a guy in a Chevy Malibu going full speed.

Fortunately, the F350 is a bit bigger than a Malibu, and I didn't get catapulted into the car in front of me.

I was completely uninjured but the guy in the Malibu was unrestrained and he got rocked. He bent the steering wheel and went head first into the windshield.

It's a crappy pic, but I'm trying to show here how the windshield got a head shaped bubble pushed out in the center

The guy was unconscious when I got to him, but he snapped out of it right away, and was alert and oriented after that. He had some cuts on his forehead that were dripping, and some from his nose, but otherwise he was moving everything and denied any sort of pain.

He held a shirt to his head till the EMS arrived and did a head wrap.

After the police report, I drove away, but not before I had to get some of the guy's bumper plastic and grill parts out from between my exhaust pipe and rear axle.

So far, the estimate for me is around 8200, but they didn't realize they were looking at a specific Torklift "Super Hitch" receiver for my "Super Truss" tow extension. That also has the rear tie down points for my camper, and I'm pretty sure the front tie down parts are also bent or sheared, because the bed is twisted.

I have yet to hear back whether or not the guy had insurance... I'm going to assume at this point that he did not. I'm guessing I'll be using the "uninsured motorist" portion of my own insurance.

In the mean time, I'm stylin' in the cruiser.

... which has no A/C.

... or suspension...

... or power.

But the good news is that it's motivating me to find the engine/transmission for the upcoming swap. I'm about to plunk down on that, but I may need to wait till I have a truck again to go pick it up.

glideraz wrote:
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Glad to see you had the benefit of mass while playing the role of 'immovable object', and that you're ok. Looks like it could have been a lot worse. Did you do enough of a physical exam to see if his phone was wedged anywhere?

KF7YII
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

No problem finding his phone because he was using it as soon as he was coherent. He had it right there... interestingly.

Do I care if the authorities pursue a distracted driver case? No... not as long as he has insurance. If he doesn't, I'm going after my deductible. I'd be happy to subpoena his phone records if he's not the kind of guy who volunteers to do the right thing.

I don't want to go to war with him, but if I did, it would be very winnable.

On an up note, I just got back from a yard where I bought a 5.3L Chevy Vortec with a 4L60E transmission. As soon as it's in my driveway, I'll order the Advance Adapters parts to mate my Landcruiser transfer case to it... and probably the Marlin Crawler gears to get the low range down.

Next would come some suspension components. I'm thinking an OME kit rather than cobble together a collection of parts.

glideraz wrote:
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:

On an up note, I just got back from a yard where I bought a 5.3L Chevy Vortec with a 4L60E transmission. As soon as it's in my driveway, I'll order the Advance Adapters parts to mate my Landcruiser transfer case to it... and probably the Marlin Crawler gears to get the low range down.

Next would come some suspension components. I'm thinking an OME kit rather than cobble together a collection of parts.

That should fix the lack of power issue.

Can't go wrong with the OME stuff, they think it through pretty well.

Let me know when you need a hand, be fun to get that thing on the trail so you can start coming out and playing more!

KF7YII
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: