Monday, December 11, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: AzRon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1993

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 88
Total: 88
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › The "I can quit at any time" build thread
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
The "I can quit at any time" build thread
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I started looking at doing a 3FE rebuild kit vs. just buying a tricked out rebuilt 3FE, vs cost of engine swap...

Cheapest option would be to build a time machine and drive this thing back to 1988.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Put the newer front clip on it

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Do the REBUILD. It will be worth much more with matching numbers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

ANOTHER BellyDoc build... this will be entertaining once again! (where is the darn subscribe button)

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm going to rebuild the engine. If not immediately, then relatively soon. I've been talking to a few people about rebuild kits and it's sounding very doable.

Transmission rebuild... not so much. It's either good or no good, and if I have to do something about it, it's going to be expensive.

Transfer case rebuild... no problem.

glideraz wrote:
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I saw a landcruiser manual tranny on Ebay last night.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

The H55 manual tranny is the one that can be used in place of the A440F auto. It's slightly shorter and requires some driveshaft alterations, but it's all bolt up. It's one of the things people do to increase power to the wheels.

I'm also looking at a few other power increasing maneuvers including using a higher performance rebuild kit with a slightly more aggressive cam, and then conveniently omitting the catalytic converters from the exhaust system when I put it back together, since I'm emissions exempt.

glideraz wrote:
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

Put a ls in it lol

I have a engine puller and stand if you need it

azfj owners are the best
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

glideraz wrote:
Put a ls in it lol

There's a kit for the 350, and the LS works just fine with any 350 kit. Of course, with that much torque, the frame would twist. Vortech 5.3s are popular too.

I'm pretty sure I've got most of the heavy tooling I need to pull the engine. What I don't have is any experience, so expect a call.

Before that, me and Nestor are going to be doing the beginning of the cooling system for the shop. I'm done with ghetto shop conditions. That's why we moved! When we pull engine, expect to be comfortable.
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
glideraz wrote:
Put a ls in it lol

There's a kit for the 350, and the LS works just fine with any 350 kit. Of course, with that much torque, the frame would twist. Vortech 5.3s are popular too.

I'm pretty sure I've got most of the heavy tooling I need to pull the engine. What I don't have is any experience, so expect a call.

Before that, me and Nestor are going to be doing the beginning of the cooling system for the shop. I'm done with ghetto shop conditions. That's why we moved! When we pull engine, expect to be comfortable.

I know a guy who fabed a buggy in his ghetto shop, I bet he could take care of that frame flex Wink

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
glideraz wrote:
Put a ls in it lol

I like your style

azfj owners are the best
bushwacker
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
glideraz wrote:
Put a ls in it lol

Well when you have a problem with too much torque, you can always add weight in metal skids, cage, reinforced frame, big phat axles, huge rock stomping tires, and an offroad trailer. You could get midevil on it if you wanted.

A support rig would be sweet. 80mph across the desert with tools, welder, revcovery tools, winch's, maybe a stretcher.

okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I sent you a link for an LT1 engine with a stand alone harness

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

I looked! It's a good deal.

I know what lies down that road, though. It's hard to stop swapping components for bigger and better ones. The weakest link just gets pushed back and the relative weakness gets amplified, and so you upgrade some more, until you're sure all weaknesses have been addressed... and then you've got a Turtle Monster!

glideraz wrote:
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: The "I can quit at any time" build thread Reply with quote

True

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: