Thursday, August 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Wolterjwb
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1961

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 72
Total: 73
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: nimrag > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Rice Peak is an exceptional trail in the mountains north of Tucson, a must do!!

The trail is not particularly challenging, but extremely scary! The bulk of the trail is a narrow shelf road, mostly loose rocks, fairly steep at times.

All in all - highly recommended though perhaps not for the faint of heart! Great run, nice climb at the end, incredible views. Take the Oracle Control Road to get back to Tucson and make it a nice day of wheelin'. Very Happy

Difficulty
The real fun is the last 1/4 mile or so, which is the final climb to the summitt of Rice Peak. You can do this without any problem in a 100% stock FJ, but it should not be taken lightly due to the incredible altitude, steep drop offs, and the ridiculous difficulty of any kind of recovery should you need it.

There is a good place to turn around right before the summit if you don't feel like going for it. So, if that last part is not your thing, the trail is still a must do!!

Otherwise, this is not a problem for a stock FJ. My ATRAC got a good workout; that or a locker is a good thing to have.

Length
Didn't own the GPS when I did this...

The summit is at about 32.5124N 110.7503W.

Honestly I found this trail by accident... There are two ways to get there as well, the trip to the summit is an out and back I found off a very large loop. At some point I left the Oracle Control Road and ended up somewhere. Yea, I need to go back and figure this out!!

Aerial of the trail:
(Unavailable)

Pictures
I need to go back and get better pics, the ones I have are fairly lousy and do it no justice!

Here's my FJ on the summit:

This is the turn from the top, it goes left and gets real steep going down. Note the location of the tree tops - this is not a place to screw up! As of about August 2007, the very top was sort of damaged and I was tipped up three wheels when I took this pic... scary!

This is representative of the trail - loose rocks, narrow.

I'm a bit afraid of heights, which made this run especially exciting. This did not ease my feelings much!

GPS Track
(Unavailable)

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Itanius
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Guess we'll have to try this one out again... you know, so we can gather the appropriate data needed for this trail review. Wink

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Itanius wrote:
Guess we'll have to try this one out again... you know, so we can gather the appropriate data needed for this trail review. Wink

You know it! I really need to go back there. I will definitely post a run for this after the holidays... you WILL attend! Evil or Very Mad

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Itanius
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Sweet!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I concur with this Rating estimate.
There were really only 2 spots that caused great concern - One was an off camber boulder scramble up a ledge, with a long drop off to the N. (On passenger side on the way up, on driver's side on the way down). Then the loose Scree on the final ascent up Rice pk Summit.

The rest of the trail (With the exception of tight switchbacks) was not very difficult at all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
NEMISI5
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I did this trail a few months ago. Wound up going the back way up to the summit, and having to turn back around mid climb. Got up on 3 wheels that day. Breathtaking views, couple turn around spots. When you get back down, you can go to peppersauce caves. You can explore these caves for hours..they even have a few underground lakes in there. some tight squeezes tho

HoneyJames
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I will definitely post a run for this after the holidays.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Which holiday? it might be hairy with snow
Can be done with a Stock FJ. Rating should be lower (2.5 at best)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
az4runner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Alright well went up to my cabin on mt. lemmon with the family and decieded to drop off the backside and go up rice peak. I made it pretty easy with my almost stock 4runner and ridiculously bald tires. Drove a little more down the road and saw a big nasty hill that forks about half way up and decided to give it a try because I have made it up on dirtbikes before and my dad said he did it in his truck so I thought no big deal. Long story short I almost rolled the truck like 3 times , slipped off the trail and ripped my bumper off. Then after I got down I realized that all of my stuff (tools, spare) was at the top of the hill. While I was walking the spare down I fell over and the spare rolled all the way down the hill getting air. At the bottom it jumped a herd of cows and flew down a hill. Forutanetly I recovered all the trim and parts that got ripped off, found the spare and made it without rolling the car. The only damage was to the bumper, trim, a snapped swaybar. Anyways it got crazy and taught me a lesson. I have pics I will put up later Mr. Green
cruiser.308
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Glad everyone lived.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

All that on a 2.5 trail! Wish I could have been there to help you out.

LISTEN UP EVERYBODY
RULE #1 - NEVER GO OUT ON A TRAIL ALONE

RULE #2 - NO TRAIL RUN IS WORTH GETTING HURT (Plastic being hurt is another story).

RULE #3 - It's Harder than it looks

RULE #4 - If you don't tell someone to look for you after a certain amount of time...Well...Let's just say you won't qualify for an amber alert

az4runner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Yea next time I will have better recovery tools hopefully!

someone please remove jimbolio's access to google.
KG7HEZ
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Should bring about half your brain with, too. Wink

check out my BLOG

TrAiLbUs1
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Holy shit dude!! Glad you are safe, use your f-ing noggin youngin. Watching a tire roll down a hill is unreal. We found one when we were young up in Colorado and decided to see what it would do down a 60 degree hill..it gained so much speed and was jumping 15 feet in the air until it hit a pine tree and broke it in half. DANGEROUS they are

az4runner
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rice Peak (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Alright well today I reattempted the hill that ripped my bumper off with a full brain Laughing , better tires and a recovery vehicle and it still kicked my ass. Once I get my locker I will be going back for round 3...

someone please remove jimbolio's access to google.
KG7HEZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: