Friday, May 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: LifestyleOverland
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1932

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 18
Total: 19
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: K9OL > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis

Smiley Rock is a fun and challenging trail in the Jerome Woodchute Wilderness area. It's so named for a rock that someone carved a smiley face into long ago. It has spectacular views and fun closed in forest areas. Some of the trail is officially part of the Great Western Trail.

Group Size:

Group size should be kept down to 5 or smaller. There are several areas that have no way to let oncoming traffic pass and the less experienced may need spotting in several areas.

Difficulty

3.0 - 4wd definitely required and spotting may be necessary through Martin Canyon. The canyon is mostly a rock field creek that requires good tire placement to move through smoothly (ie without scraping rocks). It's entirely possible for a stock FJ with a-trac to do this trail but extra caution in the canyon will be necessary.

Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive wrote:

Difficulty: Difficult.[highest rating book gives] This rating applies to the portion of the trip through Martin Canyon which is narrow and rocky. Skid plates and good articulation are recommended. Brush is tight in several places.

Length

23 miles

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures

A good deal of the track included is just a graded dirt road with nice views

It will slowly turn rocky

Slowly getting more difficult as you move towards the rock creek

Smiley Rock

There are some none trivial rock areas

More of the same on the way out

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail

GPS Track
Some additional notes:
34.747139,-112.215889,start of difficult
34.739778,-112.192111,"Smiley" Rock
34.722361,-112.178167,end of difficult

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I know Shep has some good pictures of this area as well. Post them up =)

Here's a video I found of some jeeps doing the area. WARNING there is some cursing in this video Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Good stuff, I want madly to get out to this one...

Nice video. Laughing "Steady on the gas" did not occur to these folks... Wink

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

The one photo I contributed to the right top corner of this site is my Truck balancing on 2 rocks in Martin Canyon
It was very memorable
thanks
Don
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

this one?

nice pic! =)

Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Paved road? Graded dirt road maybe but not paved?

There were some guys following us on the trail in a semi built up Chevy Blazer who were not steady on the gas either. He was pretty much just powering his way through the entire rock garden. All you could hear was VROOOM! *crunch* VROOOM! *crunch*

Then he dared to pull up next to us at the end of the run and "be friendly" by telling us how much trouble the FJ's were having through there because we scraped a few rocks. Hmmmm.......

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

right wrong choice of words, feel free to fix it.

Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I will!!

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Mr_R2FJ wrote:
this one?

nice pic! =)
Yup thats thats the pic
It's funny you mention a full size Chevy there. On a different run to Smiley Rock, we had a full size Silverado, in front of us all lifted. He tried to come out of the wash and snapped a tie rod end. After a very clever trail repair, we were able to winch him out of the wash. Since I was behind him, I had to wait almost 2 hours, or I could have chose to reverse out of the wash , which wasn't a favorable option.
thanks
Don
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

hah yeah one of my biggest fears is someone breaking down in front of me or meeting traffic head on in the wash. Someone would have to do it backwards. That could be "fun".

We were a bit concerned about the Chevy but he seemed to make it though without breakage. He also had a mechanic with him. =)

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

September 12th 2015 update.
You won't regret it at all go! but its not easy, really fun, I thought 2.5 not 3. This trail wiil give your arms a slight work out. Stock it would suck but doable maybe. Miles of baskeball sized boulders. More obsticales if your a crazy. The waterfalls....

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

How long should one plan on being on this trail? It looks like a full day adventure. Is there a good meeting spot in Jerome?

spaldam.com/about/contribute#amazon

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

spaldam wrote:
How long should one plan on being on this trail? It looks like a full day adventure. Is there a good meeting spot in Jerome?

I'm not sure about the length of time on the trail (or the exact location, for that matter). This is one of the only trails in the immediate area that I haven't run due to lack of company combined with fear of breakage.

As far as meeting up in Jerome, your best bet is probably the parking lot just past the Fire Dept. (if you're heading north on 89A, turn left out of the hairpin turn by the station; if you're heading south - from Clarkdale/Cottonwood - just go straight instead of turning at the hairpin by the station). Or the lookout point that is just outside of town, to the south (up the mountain), on 89A. Those are about the only spots in town that might actually have a little bit of space to gather.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Might be interested with you Seth. Post up a run.

I'm looking for a campout so I'd need a place to stash my Trailer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiley Rock (Jerome Area) - 3.0 Reply with quote

by the time you meet up, get to the trail, and then get back to air up - its probably about 6 hours. trail itself is probably about 3-4 hours (that includes spotting, maybe even a flat tire, but no major issues) depending on size of the run.

It's actually a pretty easy trail, only one tricky spot which is absolutely doable with good spotting. probably more like a 2.5.

there are a lot of fun offshoots, side trails, washes, etc... which you can take that run long side of the trail. that can add difficulty and fun Smile

this is a beautiful trail, although the actual "smiley rock" actually broke off a few years ago. if you go, you absolutely need to eat (Haunted Burger) or have ice cream in Jerome Smile

you can air up/down at the visitors center or on 89 as Dan said.

tons of camping spots of course on the other side of the mountain, etc...

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: