Saturday, October 20, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Sequoiacrawler
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2058

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 153
Total: 153
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Land Use › Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT
Meetings, access issues, cleanups, news, land use info.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZstateParksOHV
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** Reply with quote

Followup...
I won't be available this weekend to tour Redington...have a trail talk to do on Saturday at Bloody Basin. I'm willing to get out there with you guys another time though.

Also, I've attended the January and March FRP meetings in Tucson. If you guys have questions about what they are doing in regards to OHV recreation in the area, I'm happy to ask and report back after the May meeting. A TRS member gave me a copy of the comments FRP submitted to the FS a few years ago. Seems like their primary concern is illegal trails and the legal route 4405 which impacts a creek. That's one of the big reasons I want to get out there with you guys...I dont' have any on the ground experience there. Just shoot me an email with your questions or post them up here and I'll get you some answers.

Thanks,
Jeff Prince
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
jprince @ azstateparks.gov
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

Hands off 4405, that's the primary access route to Chiva falls.

I'm very concerned about this part of their mission statement:
FRP wrote:
Improve opportunities for non-motorized, quiet recreation activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, wildlife viewing, picnicking and camping

Now with the specific identification of the road we camped at on Friday, I'm deeply concerned.

Their entire Mission Statement
Quote:
Mission Statement

Friends of Redington Pass advocates for the responsible stewardship of the Redington Pass area and the preservation of its ecological, recreational and cultural resources.

FRP priorities are to:

Assure conservation and restoration of sensitive riparian areas along the Tanque Verde Creek, its watershed and wildlife corridors throughout the pass
    Improve opportunities for non-motorized, quiet recreation activities such as hiking, biking, horseback riding, wildlife viewing, picnicking and camping
    Improve safe conditions along Redington Road and throughout the Pass for residents and visitors

I can't see much there that favors OHV.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

Sounds like the same noise before Table Mesa was closed.
Itll take a lawsuit over land use equality to make a differance at this point.
Run the piss out of it while its open, while you can.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

Just got this in Email:
The first Friends of Redington Pass (FRP) Meet and Greet was a resounding success. On Saturday, April 6 and Sunday April 7, the FRP, together with federal, state and county agencies, set up near the kiosk at mile post 4 to greet visitors to the Pass. More than 100 people stopped by FRP's table for information and refreshments and to discuss their impressions of how the Pass should be used and shared. Our thanks to the 70 visitors who signed up to receive email communications from FRP, and to those who expressed interest in volunteering.

Alongside FRP's table was the OHV Ambassadors Program, and several representatives from the Coronado National Forest, Arizona Game & Fish, Arizona State Parks, and the Pima County Sheriff's Department who also participated over the weekend. Those who stopped by included mountain bikers, dirt bikers, ATVers, 4 wheelers, target shooters, hikers, birders, and nature enthusiasts. Many expressed their love of the area and were pleased to see the improvements being made by the Forest Service. Everyone gave high marks to the temporary closure of shooting areas around mile post 6, including several recreational shooters. And everyone agreed that all visitors to the Pass should take responsibility for providing a clean and safe environment for everyone's recreational enjoyment.

Local media took notice of the event. The FRP Meet and Greet was front page in the Arizona Daily Star and throughout the week we had coverage from KVOA, KUAZ, KOLD, and KGUN. Photos and links to some of the coverage are available at friendsofredingtonpass.org.

Now that you've signed up for our email list, you'll receive notices of upcoming events and other information about the Pass. If you have suggestions for how to improve the Pass and make your recreational experience there more enjoyable, we would like to hear from you. Please consider becoming an FRP member or making a donation on on the Join Us page of our website.

Pass it on,
Kirk Emerson
President, FRP

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
AZstateParksOHV
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

Follow up...
I'm sitting at a Tucson gas station getting ready to head home after another frp meeting. Surprisingly, after so much Internet chatter on all the forums, I was the only Ohv person in attendance. You guys really missed out, as 3 people from the forest service were there. You could have talked to the forest supervisor, or at least heard what they had to say first hand. My offer of touring the area and/or camping out with you guys still stands.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

AZstateParksOHV wrote:
Surprisingly, after so much Internet chatter on all the forums

I am confused by this statement. I don't recall any chatter here about this meet. Did I miss it? Was it in another thread, or did it just not happen on this forum. I don't live in Tucson so I don't always check the threads for down there.

So tell us how it went. What was discussed? You said the manager was there, what did he say? Fill us in...

Last edited by FatRat on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

This pretty much confirms my fears. I went to the meet and greet and put my email address down on the form. I never got any kind of communication that there was a meeting with USFS managers. This only proves that the OHV community is likely going to be left out of the discussion.

That's very disappointing because the FRP played us as if they were looking out for ALL users interests. But I guess the mission statement on their website lays it out sparkling clear what their intent is:
FRP wrote:

Jeff, we'll be organizing another Chiva Run soon, and you'll be invited.

AZstateParksOHV
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
AZstateParksOHV wrote:
Surprisingly, after so much Internet chatter on all the forums

I am confused by this statement. I don't recall any chatter here about this meet. Did I miss it? Was it in another thread, or did it just not happen on this forum. I don't live in Tucson so I don't always check the threads for down there.

So tell us how it went. What was discussed? You said the manager was there, what did he say? Fill us in...

The whole meet and greet thing from two weekends ago blew up across the forums, with many people saying they would attend the next FRP meeting, perhaps join and change it from within. I was just surprised that nobody showed.

Here's the agenda:
1. Welcome and Introductions
2. Agency Updates
3. Debrief on April 5-6 Meet and Greet
4. Next Steps for CNF Collaborative Area Management Plan
5. FRP Business Meeting (did not attend this part, as I am not an FRP member)

Forest Service
Expressed an interest in meeting the needs of all recreationalists. They will be looking for public input on all of their proposed studies, plans, and actions. They expressed the need for more OHV people to be involved and are interested in looking at developing a rock crawling area/route. They also spent a lot of time talking about the shooting closure and proposed shooting range. Keep an eye on the proposed shooting range. It's location may effect existing routes and trails. Road and area monitoring was discussed as a way to measure usage and impact over time. FRP volunteers will be trained to assist.

FRP
Talked about the success of their meet and greet, commented on the large number of 4x4s that showed up, and stated they are interested in working with OHV groups in creating a collaborative plan. Seemed to understand that rumors about FRPs intentions are spreading around the internet. Seem to be frustrated by the speed at which the FS management plans have been coming along. Several members stated that they enjoyed visiting with the 4x4 folks and look forward to getting out on the trail with them.

After the meeting, I told the FS that there are plenty of 4x4 folks in the Tucson area that would like to assist with identifying existing routes worth keeping, future routes to be developed, and other OHV facilities to be created (staging, play areas, technical rock crawling). I also told them that 4x4 folks were interested in cleanups, monitoring, and pretty much any activity that protects access and improves conditions. They seemed excited by those prospects. I offered to reach out to the community to set something up via my Trail Talks, OHV Newsletter, or other special event.

Both organizations seem to want your input and help. If FRP is not the right organization for you, there is the OHV Ambassadors. If neither of those float your boat, there are several OHV clubs in Tucson that could enter into an agreement with the forest service. Still not your thing? Start your own club, enter into an agreement with the FS, and get to work doing what you want Smile Too much effort required for any of this? Sit back and watch conditions deteriorate as usage goes up.
AZstateParksOHV
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
This pretty much confirms my fears. I went to the meet and greet and put my email address down on the form. I never got any kind of communication that there was a meeting with USFS managers. This only proves that the OHV community is likely going to be left out of the discussion.

That's very disappointing because the FRP played us as if they were looking out for ALL users interests. But I guess the mission statement on their website lays it out sparkling clear what their intent is:
FRP wrote:

Jeff, we'll be organizing another Chiva Run soon, and you'll be invited.

I'm down for Chiva, etc.

I think it is a bit unfair to expect FRP to represent all users if no 4x4 people join their organization. Ultimately, the direction of organizations is determined by it's membership, not the community it may be a part of. Several of the FRP people were actually looking forward to doing trail rides in the future with the group they met at circle K. I should be clear that I am not endorsing FRP specifically as a gov employee. However, I do recommend being part of local organizations that help preserve your recreational access and improve on the ground conditions.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

Well said
I just want to know about the meetings

rovnrev
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

I signed up for the FRP newsletter and didnt get anything about another meeting after April 6-7th.
AZstateParksOHV
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** Reply with quote

I recommend contacting FRP directly to express your interest in attending a future meeting. Here's the contact info I have:
kirk_emerson @ mindspring.com or info @ friendsofredingtonpass.org

I haven't received their newsletter, but they have invited me to attend the meetings as an agency person. I do not know when their next meeting is and they mentioned they will not have a May meeting at the last one. Keep in mind, these are their business meetings for their organization. The first part of the meeting is agency and organization reports, that's the part I come to. The second part is thier business meeting, which I do not attend since I am not a member.

I'm sure they would welcome you to attend and would even add you to the agenda if you had something from the OHV community to discuss and notified them in advance so you can be added to the agenda. If you do this, please represent an OHV club and do so in a cooperative spirit. There are two guys at FRP that seem very OHV friendly. I haven't seen anything anti-OHV in the 3 meetings I have attended. I think it would be great if some of you local guys worked with them to help them understand that OHV recreation is a valid and legal use of public lands and that the OHV community does a lot to improve the on the ground environment up there.

In regards to the Forest Service attending their last meeting, this was at FRP's invitation. I told the FS that the Tucson OHV community would like to work with FS as well. The FS expressed interest in this. So, invite them to your club meetings as well and let me know what I can do to help. It would be great to have a Tucson FS meeting with all OHV clubs in the area to discuss our form of recreation and upcoming management efforts in the area...this is something I can facilitate since I know all the agency folks. Let me know who to invite and I'll make it happen.
AZstateParksOHV
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** Reply with quote

My next trail talk will be at Redington Pass.

Check out the thread here and help me set it up!

Thanks,
Jeff
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

Kirk Emerson wrote:
Since the Meet and Greet in early April, Redington Pass has continued to receive attention from the media. There was a very encouraging editorial in the Arizona Daily Star recently, echoing our view that the Pass is for everyone's enjoyment but is also our collective responsibility.

The Friends of Redington Pass (FRP) working group met recently with representatives from the Catalina Ranger District of the Coronado National Forest (CNF). The District has asked FRP to help set up more systematic monitoring of recreational usage aligned with the Forest Service guidelines. Our monitoring objective will be to learn about recreational use of the Pass and its trends. We would like to meet with anyone who has an interest in designing and/or participating in a monitoring program. In the next few weeks we will set up a meeting with those interested to complete the design and implementation of the program. We would welcome the participation of anyone who has an interest in this project. Please email us and we will get back to you.

CNF has recently sent its Draft Forest Plan revision to the Forest Service's regional office for review. The plan will then be issued for further public comment. We will be sure to forward the web link to you for the Draft Plan when it comes out. We will also share our own Draft comments with hopes that you will give us feedback and consider submitting your own comments as well.

Also on the horizon is the new CNF travel management plan that will cover the Redington Pass area as well as the rest of the Coronado National Forest. Meanwhile, the Catalina Ranger District is beginning to gear up for its Collaborative Area Management Plan which should start formally in the late fall. It is also working with the Tucson Rod and Gun Club to assure an appropriate environmental review of the proposed managed shooting area further east off Redington Road.

We will keep you updated on FRP activities and other news about the Pass. We welcome hearing about your interests and concerns as well.

Please get up to the Pass this month and enjoy it before the summer heat and hazardous fire conditions arrive. As the Star editorial repeated, "Let's take back the Pass" and help it become as safe and litter-free as it is fun and scenic.

Pass it on,

Kirk Emerson

President, FRP

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Reddington Pass Public Meeting (04/07/13) **4x4 Rally** UPDT Reply with quote

friends 'o Redingon pass wrote:

The earlier fire season and the extended heat have left Redington Pass pretty quiet this summer. But the late monsoon rains have brought back new growth and more visitors to the Pass.

The three shooting areas around Mile Marker 6 are still closed and fenced off. There has been minimal damage to signage. The Forest Service has completed its study of the contamination of these sites and is preparing to complete the necessary clean up.

There appears to be minimal litter along the Pass. It seems that those who used the Pass this summer helped keep it clean. Many thanks to you all for those efforts. Many thanks as well to the Sheriff's office for their daily patrols.

There is lots to see and enjoy while riding, hiking or biking on the Pass. Please remember to share the roads and trails with others and be mindful of others' safety and enjoyment of the Pass, it is OUR Pass. Let's take care of it together.

Pass it on,
Kirk Emerson
President, FRP

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Land Use All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: