Wednesday, November 14, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: gadzoom
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2061

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 224
Total: 224
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Take the advice and leave the trailer at home. Save it for the paved campgrounds.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

expeditioneers.com/Exp...iablo.html

www.youtube.com/watch?...jZ0iV1SHk0
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Looking at that video, I already did worse a week ago, just slowly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Homedad wrote:
Contrary to what you'all think of me, I won't send him into trouble for a laugh.

Wink Wink

That's what I was thinking.....hehehehehehe

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

compubmw wrote:
Looking at that video, I already did worse a week ago, just slowly.

Make sure you let the guys your going with konow about your situation. They might not be too happy to see you roll up with the trailer. That's the best advice I can offer now. Good luck

1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I never understand why people come on a forum, ask advice of people who have done something multiple times in various vehicles and then disregard that advice.
Sure there is something to being the "first" and something to be said for "showing it can be done" but I just don't see that really being important here.

Like I said if you do take the trailer please take lots of pics and post up a trip report. I have no problem being proved wrong and for the sake of how much you spent on that trailer I hope I am wrong.

Oh and like Homedad said in the pm...you will be missing out on some of the fun aspects of the trail like the high speed run toward Yuma...otherwise a very boring straight line drive along the bombing range.
You will have a really tough time if you want to take a side trip from Tule Well up to Christmas pass with a shelf section.
You will have to really watch the sections of PSP (old aircraft landing tract) that are laid out along the silt sections due to the chance one of them gets kicked up by the tow rig and catches on the trailer or lower trailer axle catches it.
I would camp at the first camp area (Pepper?? I can't remember) coming in from Ajo as that is the only area near the beginning you can fit a trailer.
Then camp the second night at Tinajas Altas, if you can get the trailer through some of the dips. Otherwise you can camp at Tule Well as there should be space.

I am sure you have already checked into permits and figured your timeframe (the trail is closed part of the year). It is a great historic trail with the added bonus of Camp Grip and the Border Patrol.

compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I'm not disregarding any advice given here, and I think I won't be doing this run at this time.

I'll wait and see, and see how the trailer handles other things first...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
cruiser.308
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I took my 26' Fleetwood down the Schnebly Rd from I-17 to Sedona and back. It was not a fun night for 7 month prego, 1.5 year old todler and me. Would not recommend doing this to anyone.

Rastarider
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

1leglance wrote:
I never understand why people come on a forum, ask advice of people who have done something multiple times in various vehicles and then disregard that advice.

Because a wiseman doesn't need it & a fool doesn't take it. No, because most times advice is really just an opinion. Oh wait, because 80 percent of what we know we learned by doing it ourselves. Actually, because 9 out of 10 times you get conflicting advice in a forum. Take for example, I am debating on removing my front sway bar. Please advise.

Lastly, because of all the smart buts muddling it up.

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Best advice - do it yourself without the trailer, then decide for yourself if you'd like to bring it on future trips.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I would LOVE to do this trip, with my Colman Instant Tent.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
KE7NEA
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I did the trip in my XJ with a M101 trailer.
That camper... NO, the moon dust gets everywhere and there is a fair section of rough road too. Best to run that trail as an expedition run, live outta the FJ for a few days and take plenty of water.

BaconScout
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

yadayadayada... details on the trailer please!

compubmw wrote:
For those of you who saw it, and done that drive, can my RPod make it on that road?

There is someone posting (on the blue room) about wanting to run out there next month and I'm thinking about going...

compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

BaconScout wrote:

compubmw wrote:
For those of you who saw it, and done that drive, can my RPod make it on that road?

There is someone posting (on the blue room) about wanting to run out there next month and I'm thinking about going...

Whatcha wanna know? Its awesome!
BaconScout
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

compubmw wrote:
BaconScout wrote:

compubmw wrote:

Whatcha wanna know? Its awesome!

wet and tongue weight, how much water onboard?

does it tow well?

where did you pic it up and if you dont mind around how much did it go for?

any regrets with regard to options / model?

and 'its awesome' answered one of my questions Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: