Wednesday, November 14, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: TIBTIGER
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2060

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 115
Total: 115
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

For those of you who saw it, and done that drive, can my RPod make it on that road?

There is someone posting (on the blue room) about wanting to run out there next month and I'm thinking about going...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I don't even know where that is but figured I would hijack ur thread to ask about your rpod and how the FJ does pulling it on hills. Etc.
Smile
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
I don't even know where that is but figured I would hijack ur thread to ask about your rpod and how the FJ does pulling it on hills. Etc.
Smile

Well, I drove it all the way up to Munds Park, and then Flagstaff. It towed nicely. I've also taken it up Mt. Lemmon and it did just fine then too. The only time I really had to take it slow was out on the ruts on Reddington Rd. because I had a full tank of water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I wouldn't take it. I don't think that thing was built to handle 150 miles off road.

compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Finn wrote:
I wouldn't take it. I don't think that thing was built to handle 150 miles off road.

How does the road compare to last years expedition run?
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

El Camino de Diablo is mostly sand. Deep, silty, liquidy, powdery sand. I predict that trailer on that trail will cause the FJ to bog down and sink. Plus what Finn said. That trailer ain't really a long haul off-roader.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

You'll make it...the FJ will make it...The trailer??? Don't know, it's 150 miles of the most silky smooth, over maintained, over policed, trail in all of America. Not sure what would hold you back.

Go for it!!! When the Border patrol boys swing by...expect an "inspection"
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Outstanding
..is it wrong to offer them a warm beverage?
1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I think Homedad is forgetting a few things...
Ruts- there are some areas with a high center hump and not sure if your trailer will clear that

Below desert trail - there is a section where the trail is below desert level due to dragging by Border Patrol and depending on width/length of your trailer you could have side rubbing

Silt - 99% of the time it is just a dust issue, but if there is any rail then you get a nasty clay that is a real hassle

Border Patrol - yes Homedad mentioned you will get an inspection, but I think this makes it sound like less of a problem than you can expect. I have always had a great interaction but I can see a trailer get a ton of attention by each and every officer you meet.

If you do go then please please take lots of pics and post a trip report cuz I have done the trip with offroad trailers but you might be the first with something like this.

compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Well...how would this compare to the first 10mi of Reddington?
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Well...how would this compare to the first 10mi of Reddington?

(Double post by accident)

Last edited by compubmw on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Did it not sound right the first time???? Laughing
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

The trail is very remote. Do you really want to have to deal with the trailer of that size? With any rain I think you would be in trouble. I also think you could have trouble in the sand and as Lance said parts of it could have ruts.

For this trip unless you have some type of specific off road trailer I would stick with the tent.

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Finn wrote:
For this trip unless you have some type of specific off road trailer I would stick with the tent.

X2

Look at it this way....you just had the most experienced guys on this forum tell you it is nasty. Ball is in your court.
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Sorry...havin' fun with a buddy...here's what I p.m.ed him.

"I'd use a tent....the high speed driving is all that makes the trip worth the hassle...the trailer will be more work and a possible huge pain in the ass.

If it rains or has remains of rain...you ain't gonna make it due to the silt and sand slip and slide."

Contrary to what you'all think of me, I won't send him into trouble for a laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: