Friday, November 16, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: gadzoom
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2061

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 236
Total: 236
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

Very sad to hear this. Steve had his quirks as do we all but he was a good guy. I spent some time with him working on his FJ and got to know him a little bit better. I refused any kind of monetary payment for helping him so he gave me a few items related to the SF 49ers which will now mean just a little bit more, thanks again Steve. Rest in peace my friend.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

I had hoped for better news but feared this might be the outcome of his disappearance. We will all continue to miss you, CopDoc.

Since CopDoc and I had shared careers in law enforcment he had befriended me soon after meeting. He shared a lot of details about his life and gave me an abundance of information and good advice concerning my back/neck injuries. His knowledge, attention to details and willingness to share remind me of what we see from BellyDoc, except CopDoc did not reveal it so much in the forums.

I only saw Steve several times on trails but thanks to his openness I can pass on a bit of what he shared with me. For those who just saw 'an old dude' on the outside this will give some insight into who he was. This was just pieced together from many PM's:

"I too retired from Law Enforcement. Det. Sgt. Homicide Pima County Sheriffs Dept (Tucson). Eight years U.C. Narc as well. Been in Tucson since 1967. Love Arizona and hate southern California. Grandpa was the J.P. of Monterey County (Carmel) and Dad was an attorney also in Carmel. I was supposed to follow suit and join the "Ivory Tower" (County Attornies Office). Had the units to start Law School but got real fed up with the politics and changed degrees."

"I was born in San Francisco, lived, off and on, in Gardena and other little cities around there. No, not Watts or Compton. I graduated from Gardena High and went to U.S.C. for awhile and then onto Arizona. This was at my 1st wifes suggestion mainly because of her parents living there. This was in 1966. I applied to the Sheriff's dept and was accepted. This was at the suggestion of a friend here in Tucson back then. Back in the 60's I had a blast as a teen in Gardena. I bought the 1st Dodge Charger in 1966. Spent my time building it up. It was a 383 and when I finished it I had 425 horse and raced in B stock automatic. (AHRA) One aspect of the things I enjoyed, besides girls, was DisneyLand. There was a little two lane road (artesia blvd.) from Gardena to Anaheim and DisneyLand. Artesia is now a freeway I heard. Anyway it was about a 45 minute ride to there. They had what they called "date night Saturday night. It was $5.00 per head at the entrance. That was admission and all rides inside were free. AH YES the 60's. I took the kids and wife to DisneyLand and the next day we had some time before the flight so I took them to see my old, clean, open campus, beautiful highschool. I damn near cried. There were gates with locks all around with razor wire on top of the steel fence surrounding the entire campus. Grafity all over the place. The watts folks area had moved from east to west and distroyed everything in its path. I went to show them where I lived and that was worse. Use your imagination on that. When I lived there it was 60 % oriental, the rest were white. The entire town was sparkling clean and the orientals had all of their plants and grass well manicured. Dear God what a change. There were homes boarded up even. Change of subject here. I have Man-a-Fre skids...."

"In a little town called Visalia I put in my application for CHP. This was about 1966. The application process went OK but I flunked the 1st physical badly. You had to be over 6 feet tall.AAARRRRGGGG"

"If there is any questons about Kurt, let me know. It took me some time to get over some of the butt licking before I met him and found the butt licking was in order. He knows his stuff and will help any day or night."

"Most potential Doctors go thru this because of the help they got from thier own Chiropractors in thier lives. I am no different. I started serious cycling in my late 30's. I had taken "time out" while I was working U.C. and it gave me the time to train with a local club here in Tucson. I have very little white muscle fibers but plenty of red muscle fibers. Which breaks down to "I couldn't climb a curb but can't be beat in a sprint. This obviously hampered my long time goal. I, as well as about 125 others around the country were picked to the 1984 Olymipcs. I was not chosen to attend in LA but the best part of all that were the days and weeks I spent in training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. They needed a cyclist that was great all around, not just in one area. I had a blast though."

"Alright---what leaves to be answered ??? My Father was a Marine also. He spent time in the islands but the ship he was on was torpeoded. Only 16 were killed but all were in the waters swimming for some kind of shore line. They were spotted by an Engish destroyer and rescued. Three of the men that went overboard were taken by sharks. They were in the Indian ocean. He always thought they were sunk by a German U-boat. In 2005, while on a visit with him, we got to talking about that. He told me the name of his ship and when I got back to Tucson I looked it up on my computer. Surprise Dad, it was a Jap sub that had followed them for a few hundred miles and then sunk them with one to the mid ship. There were not enough US sub chasers/hunters to go around and many ships met thier fate that way."

"Sweet----we used to cruze the "A" or A&W on Hawthorne. We used an abandoned airport for its runways. We had a little 1/4 mile marked off and the cops generally looked the other way. Now the neat thing about my Charger. My girlfriends brother bought one also. In fact we ordered them at the same time and same color. We would cruze in his stock charger and when we found a "sucker" that wanted to race we just told him to meet us at "the strip" in about 30 minutes. We would park his and pick up mine, uncork the headers, and go to the strip. In appearance there was no difference but 425 horses did the job. After about 2 months everybody got wise so that is when I jacked it up and did the other modifications. Fun times for sure. I was going to mention Central L.A. and about the nuts you had to have to do that."

"The name CopDoc, is because I was a Cop and now am a Doctor. Dumb--Dumb--Dumb, I could have been fishing for those 7 years."

"My FJ is a 2007 I bought in Oct. 2006. I spent a bazillion $$$$$$$$ on that before I found this forum. These are damn good people. Trust 'em. If you need ANYTHING or just a friend, count me in. See you on the trail someday.

Doc"

VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

God Speed My Fiend you will be missed.

Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

I wish I could have gotten to know this awesome guy a little bit better. He was always a good guy to talk to when we wheeled together. I'll miss ya.

I hope trail-dog is in a new home just as good as yours.

neomonk
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

I got to know Doc as he lived just behind me. A goofy one we all agree, but a good friend was he.

RIP CopDoc! You lived a full life.

CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

Excellent job Dave keeping those PM's intact.

Pretty cool stories, wish I could've heard them first hand....
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

Dave, thank you so much for that insight.
progolfer_20
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

Sounds like he was a great guy. RIP.

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

I spent many a day working in my driveway with Steve.

Great stories and he always brought me a fresh coffee Smile

Love ya man!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

He gave me the rear bumper wings:

To: Jimbolio
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:21 pm
Subject: Hey Buddy Quote message
Do you still want those rear fender thingings. Some one wanted a set on the forum. I have no problem keeping these here or you picking them up or we meet somewhere. You are a Communest organized Bully anyway. Imagin you having your ship here and not even letting me board. I'm saving $$$$$$$$ till X-mas and buying a nice fishing boat and I'm not letting you on----EVER-----SO THere!!!!

And about BOATS:
OK Bucko, You started this "fleet" thing. I have done some reasurch in my old Scout Master books from awhile ago. It is written in the 1956 edition of the Scoiut Masters log. We go to chapter 3, paragraph 2, second stanza that any "fleet" of the self named master be only three vessels of fleet be so named by said master as an acculmiation of vessels. Any "other" vessels will be impounded by the seretary of the "
troop" and sold at auction and procceseds to suppled in camping equipment for said troop. This order shall not be eliminated or trasfered to any other entity in the future.
Any Scout Master who fails to take his best fishin buddy will turn over all remaining vessels in his fleet to the proper master and in this case that will retro to todays ex-master harmed.

So There----big buckeroo

Lucky for you. I was just about to hit the send "button of doom." I do know Parker Caynon, and Parker Lake, and Canyon Lake. At Parker Canyon I won the Garcia Fishing Award one year for the heaviest Blue Gill caught in AZ. I swear!! I used an old safety pin, a stick, and some old yarn that BEAR GRYLLES gave me when we used to go out together so I could teach him the Scout Method of the Great Outdoors. I'll check my "oh so busy" book and just might take you up on that.

Doc

SHIT---there are no fish there. Trust me, I've tried that. See you soon bud.

Doc

And he held on to those bumper wings for me!

They are yours my friend. However (don't you just love those HOWEVERS?) This will NOT I say NOT relieve your duty as a trail leader as on my post.

Doc
And our Blacksmithing Gig:
Thanks for the offer of help with the new front suspension stuff. I ordered it on line (cheaper than HD) and will have my GoodBoys at GoodYear instal it and allignment.

Jake tells me you swing a prety mean sledge. On that run to Box Canyon I bent it. It dosent look that bad. Seems like the front strips just need to be pounded out. When I took it off for inspection, I had three of the bolts off with no problem and then the kenetik engery and SPRANG and stripped that last bolt. After it was off, and I cleaned the blood off my head, I saw the problem. I called the folks at man-e-fre and they said bring it into thier shop in Miami AZ and they will look at it. I really don't think that its that bent up. Anyway, if you could help with getting that back on I'd certaintly appreciate that. No rush and after you Boy Scout stuff finished up and Sedona Fest maybe you could lend a hand. You tell me what is convient for you and I'll try to match that. I am always available on Sat afternoon from noon on. I'm covering a new office and the other two as well. We will hook up when you have the time.

Thanks Jimbo,

Steve

Here's his attitude about Death:
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:36 pm
Subject: photo Quote message
Hey Bubba, I have to go to New Orleas in a couple of weeks (Mom Passed) and would like to show the folks my FJ. It's a celebration not a memorial, if you know what I mean. Can you take a couple of photos if I bring it over?

Second, ya wanna keep a Black Lab happy for a couple of days? Or do you know someone you would trust with your pup for about 3 days?
I just really hate puttin Trail Dog in a kenell.
I have lost your # some where or I would have called you.
Regarding the puppy sitting----that would be perfect if you could do that for me. He really is a perfect pup. Tell Mama I'll owe her for keeps if she will let him stay with you guys. This will take only 2 days. I'll need one day to get there and one day to get back. I need to be there for 2 days. I can drop him off on one day, go to Neoorrrrrrns on that same day and will pick him up after I get back approximatly 2 days. Don't worry about the "doggie Door". He will love having a back yard for once. He really is a no worry pup. I think I have heard him bark once in the time I've had him. My times are flexable so make it easy on you guys. I was thinking around the 1st of the month. Maybe leave on the 29th and back on the 1st of October. Again, make it eassy on you folks. Whatever works for you guys the best. This is "perfect" and a big load off my mind. I hope she can say yes. Tell her I asked you for her birthday. No, not the year.
I just caught myself signing off with a Jimbo again. One of my good friends was named Jim and I just called him Jimbo.

Thanks again Partner.

Steve

God Bless you for accepting that extra work and, as usual, help with all else. The laywers got together. And so that trip is out. Did I ever tell you of my Cop Shit hateward? Well some time when we camp out for about a week I'll tell you.
Acually my mission was to Nooooorrrrrrrllleens was to execute all the laywers so that they wouldn'd get involved in my Dads Stuff.

Thanks Jimbo, It is warming to know that I have a friend that would take on a job such as that.

Steve

RECENT STUFF (I should have read between the Lines: This was around the time we took the SURVIVE OFFROAD Class together in March
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:13 pm
Subject: Re: Just Checking in Quote message
Hey Jimbo,
I'm fine and thank you for asking. You are a good friend. I've just had a few medical stuff to take care of. Both parents passed last year so I had some traveling to California to get stuff done. At 66 my parts are wearing out but nothing big. Just getting stuff done. I got a favor from you please. Are you thinking about a day run to "our" kind of places? Interesting stuff but less "macho" driving. Fear has little to do with it but I sure like seeing the sights as we travel and not paying attention to the road all the time.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:17 pm
Ya Bubba, The only thing that would keep me from that would be my office coverage. If they need me on a Saturday, I would need a couple of weeks in advance to advise them that I need that day off.
Also I have a favor---please---On your computer look up Wayfair. Its a household kinda place but they sell a boat that I was thinking about. Made by KL Industries, its the 12' Pro Deluxe Fishing Boat in Beige/Green.
Wayfair is the retaler for them. I called them and found the following info:
there is a 2 year warrenty--KL has been making these for about 10 years--It will take a 10 HP that will make it plane out,(a smaller engine will not. 15 HP max) It is already wired for running lights and the trolling motor. There is a kind of "special" attachment ($60) that will take the trolling motor foot controls. I like it??? I can afford it!!!??? but I have no where to store it unless I keep it on top of my FJ all the time. The complex does not allow boats to be stored anywhere on the property. Any ideas on that front?? Give me your valued oppinion on this please.

Thanks,
Doc

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 pm
Thanks Buddy,

But just like the woman people have called me, under thier breath of course, I have changed my mind. I was looking for a trailer and found a 12' Starcraft with a 15 HP Honda engine, two fishing seats, wired for a trolling motor, with a sun top, and trailer for $2000. Its in Benson and if you can go, I'd sure like somebody that knows more about these things to go with me. The boating experience I have is with a Catamaran. That was a blast.

Thanks,

Doc
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:04 pm
Hey Buddy, I got the 4 messages. I'm mainly grateful that you would be willing to travel to Bensen with me. It will be twords the middle of the month when my S.S. check comes in. Its great to be young again. As far as that cless goes, hell ya I'm in with you. Tim gave me his old hitch and I stopped by a guy that does great welding. He worked on my exhaust. I don't have a new bumper on the rear partner. I'm gonna get that guy to work on it. I'll see what this guy comes up with. I will keep it up outa the way as best I can. Belly Doc bolted a brace on the middle of the bumper to help support the rig I have on the back. I'll quick post up on that forum and hoped I get picked with you.

Thanks for all,

Doc

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:37 pm
Subject: HELP please Quote message
Jim, I don't know if this message is getting thru or not. If your getting duplicates---sorry.

I get the trailer hitch installed next Tuesday. Is it probable that you can go to Benson with me on the 31st or April Fools Day?? I sure hope you can go with me. I've never pulled a trailer before and I need your help with the boat so I don't miss anything that needs work.

Thanks Jim,

Doc
Thanks Jimbo,

Doc

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 am
Subject: Re: HELP please Quote message
Thanks Jim, You don't know what a reliefe that is to me. I'm really lost with that kind of vessel and outboard. I'll call the kind folks in Benson and let them know we will be there on the 1st and we'll figure out a time closer to the 1st.

Thanks again Jim---I owe you

Doc

The Second to Last POST I got from him:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: Sunday AM Quote message
Actually I'm going to fill it with Coke and pull it through customs. After that I plan on going on to Columbia and need the boat to take cover in the inlets __________OR NOT!!!!
I'm going to keep it at my place until I get the current registration and the hook up for the lights. After that I'll put it in a storage lot some where. Those are kinda expencive. The one I like is set up for boats and travel trailers etc: etc: (all covered) like carports. There are some lots there 6hat are inside like the regular storage lockers. These are too damn expencive. The one I like is $ 65 per month. I can't afford that so I guess I'll try to find some place out in the boonies. It's probabley the south side is less ex[pencive. I'll find somthing. They won't let me keep it here.
I'll see you Sunday morning and again.
Thank you Jim---I owe you. There is soamething about this Karma stuff.

Doc

He FINALLY got his fishing boat on April Fools Day. I wish I hadn't said what I said when I found out it was a 15 Horse motor on a 12' boat. "Doc, your gonna kill yourself with that much power"

He's RIGHT, there is something to this KARMA stuff. Be kind to others, because one day all you'll have left is memories.

All about CopDoc

Web Site:
My Occupation: Doctor
Interests: OUT of DOORS
Vehicle Info: 2007 FJ Cruiser (Black Cherry) Power Aid, throttle body spacer Air Aid air induction Trail Master 3", FlowMaster Muffler Lucrum, winch mount Mile Marker Winch Man-a-Free, full Skid Plates Good Year Wranglers - 285-70-17 Cobra CB & OTHER STUFF

Signature: ATTITUDE=IT TAKES 43 MUSCLES TO FROWN, 17 TO SMILE, BUT ONLY 3 FOR PROPER TRIGGER SQUEEZE!!!
Amatures practice untill they get it right. Professionls practice untill they don't get it wrong!

I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jagaliscious
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

CopDoc wrote:
Jagaliscious wrote:
I want to come out...but I don't want to. I'm cranky and tired from fruitless 3am homework sessions...and I'm gonna have to bust ass Saturday morning, I can already tell....

Oh little precious one. When you finally are done you can look back and laugh at that homework. You will have the diploma and a gut full of excitement as you get to do what you want then. I had the same issue but I was 42 when I started. Burnt out brain cells later I got it.
You'll be fine!!!

Always cheering me on, here or in person--I should have known something was up back in June when he didn't post anything when I posted about getting my new job. The man had a twisted sense of humor, just like mine....but he was sweet and kind as a summer day is long.

Definitely shed a few tears today. You'll be missed for sure, Doc.

Angry_Tim wrote:
I have a nice crack about 8 inches long

Johanlee wrote:
Correctly grasp the narrow mountain road.
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

Rest in Peace, Steve, A Real American.
And I always did admire the camo.

1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

I really liked the guy and sorry to hear he is gone but to a better place I am sure.

ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

RIP

PUPnSOX
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: In memoriam: CopDoc, Steve Ross Reply with quote

Steve was the first person I met in person here on the forum. It was at last year's SedonaFest. He walked over with his dog and spent a couple of night caps with us.

He was a great man from the little that I got to know of him.

RIP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: