Wednesday, May 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KCPfj
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1931

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 25
Total: 26
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: azflycaster > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ)
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ)
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 62, 63, 64  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

I didn't even turn on my CB all weekend in sedona
There are so many hams now

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

any good repeaters or simplex channels I should know? I have a list from repeater book. Trying to sort through the good ones.

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

Azrepeaters.net

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

Cactusman wrote:
any good repeaters or simplex channels I should know? I have a list from repeater book. Trying to sort through the good ones.

Best way to find 'good' ones is doing just what you are doing. Plug em in, tune em in, and see who's yaking.

I have WAY more repeaters programmed in than actually talk. Then again, depends on time of day. To and From work times are pretty good. Late in the evening sometimes too.
Weekends the old timers get up early and talk about what they are having for breakfast in the morning.

In Sedona, sl33pr and I threw my G5RV Dipole wire antenna up in a tree and tuned in the WW1 museum special event in Kansas City. That was a WW1USA call sign. It was pretty neat. (HF of course on 20M). Unfortunately, they couldn't hear me. SO either the conditions were bad, or my radio is bad. That's the fun of it, finding out which. My thoughts (And Fat Rat's) are that I used to thin a coax from Tuner to antenna. (Working on that for next time). Maybe we do a run the next time they are up on the air in December!

https://theworldwar.org/amateurradio

Poor FatRat's water closet is tipped over in the background.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

Can we add KG7BGL BlueGirl to the HAMMy list?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

GET YOUR HAM RADIO LICENSE TODAY
$23,000 Cashback offer

mccmag.com/News/NewsDe...wsID/14657

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

CAN YOU HELP?

https://arrl.rallycongress.net/ctas/urge-us-senate-to-pass-amateur-radio-parity-act

November 15, 2016

Dear Sen. John McCain (R AZ):
Dear Sen. Jeff Flake (R AZ):
As a constituent and one of more than 19,267 FCC - licensed Amateur Radio Operators in the State of Arizona , I am writing to ask that you now support the Amateur Radio Parity Act when it comes to the Senate floor during the upcoming lame duck session of Congress. The legislation has passed the House by voice vote in two different forms: as H.R. 1301 in stand-alone form and as part of the Communications Act Update package, S. 253.

This bill replaces S. 1685 and provides a mutually satisfactory compromise reached between the ARRL (the national association for Amateur Radio) and the Community Associations Institute (CAI), which represents home owners associations. This bill allows for effective outdoor Amateur Radio antennas for public service and emergency communications while protecting the prerogative of community associations. As amended, the legislation now enjoys universal support from both organizations.

The bill has also received the endorsement of the American Red Cross, which stated that this “legislation will greatly enhance the volunteer communications efforts by radio Amateurs that have benefited public safety organizations for many years.” The National Hurricane Center added their voice in support and wrote that “(A)mateur radio operators are sometimes the only sources of eyewitness information from inside the storm.” And The Salvation Army wrote “(W)e rely on Amateur Radio, and this legislation is urgently important to the continued provision of their volunteer services in emergency communications. We urge the passage of H.R. 1301…”

Arizona has always relied on and benefited from Amateur Radio’s critical communications support in time of need. We have been prepared for, and involved in the response to virtually every disaster in Arizona volunteering to provide communications, at no cost to anyone. The bill will allow Amateurs to continue to provide the same critical communications service to our communities as we have for over the past 100-plus years.

The bill equitably balances the interests of all parties. It ensures that community associations permit effective outdoor antennas, and protects community associations’ authority to adopt and enforce reasonable written rules concerning the installation, placement, and aesthetic impact of external amateur service station antennas. It also requires notification to the association and their prior approval of antenna installations and prohibits installation of antennas on common property. The rights and responsibilities of both community associations and association residents are completely protected.

I ask that you support the passage of this consensus, bipartisan legislation when it comes before you for a vote on the Senate floor.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

OR... don't go house shopping, pick a place with an hoa, an hoa that prohibits antennas, sign a contract for hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy said home, sign and agree to ccrs that prohibit antennas, then fight for the government to break a private contract that you wilfully agreed to enter into.

But im just old fashioned =)

Homedad wrote:
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

Thoreau wrote:
OR... don't go house shopping, pick a place with an hoa, an hoa that prohibits antennas, sign a contract for hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy said home, sign and agree to ccrs that prohibit antennas, then fight for the government to break a private contract that you wilfully agreed to enter into.

But im just old fashioned =)
It's seldom spelled out in any way, often doesn't come up until someone tries, or a board member decided they don't like it (or you) then try to apply one of the many vaguely written rules to the situation.
Doesn't apply to all situations, but neither does the ability to shop houses so easily.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

Lack of ease doesn't justify using government force to interfere in private agreements.

Homedad wrote:
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

Thoreau wrote:
Lack of ease doesn't justify using government force to interfere in private agreements.
Many people didn't agree to not have an antenna. Many HOA's are overreaching, vague and can be changed by the HOA without the full concent of the homeowners. So in those cases we can let the business (many HOA's are indeed outside companys) exercise Controll over a homeowner.
I agree that a contract should be read and agreed to, and be binding, but not all cases are as cut and dry as we would like. HOA's have been getting way out of hand in many areas where they have been handed over to a corporate entity that has no stake in the actual community.
While I would love to see the root problem addressed, I feel that some reasonable changes can be enacted until a full overhaul can happen.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

People get what they choose to get. I live in an hoa, one that is indeed managed by a 3rd party conpany, and where homeowner votes dont exist after 8 years because the rest of the area hasnt been built out and is still under declarant (builder) control.

All things i knew going in. And life did change after signing on the dotted line since i wasnt a ham at the time, but got into it later. If i dont like it, i dont go crying to the feds (and under what authority are they interfering in contracts that dont even cross state lines.) Ill work to have rules changed, or ill move elsewhere if i decide that it is an important enough hobby to me. (Highly doubtful as im a rather uncommon Extra class who hasnt bothered to even touch an HF radio yet.)

Once it is turned over to homeowner control, it still isnt the feds job to interfere. Much like the people in congress and the white house, my fellow neighbors and i will get exactly what we allow by way of our own decisions. Nothing even forces us to keep the same management company, or even the hoa itself.

I might think differently if this were a true matter of public safety as it is often pitched, and maybe in more disaster prone areas it is (so leave it to the states in such cases) but ensuring that some retiree can ragchew with Australia despite rules they agreed to abide by isnt something washington need meddle in. (And states too in my opinion, but at least they might have some actual jurisdiction over an hoa contract within.)

Homedad wrote:
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

I see your point and I don't wholly disagree. I think I just tend to lean a bit more to having some sort of ability to have some office either step in, or at least mediate in cases where individuals are left with the option of "tough titties" or moving their family. Fair is fair, but far too often individuals lack the funding to take on corporate entitys even in the case of blatant injustice. I don't mind paying taxes when there is some common benefit to show for it.

I guess we both just have a slightly different opinion about what role we would like government to play. Wouldn't it be cool if there was some common ground that politicians could work with. Smile

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The HAM radio/amateur radio info thread (FAQ) Reply with quote

On other issues i can see some reasoning to allow an outside override, but this is hardly a rights issue or life and death. It really seems no different than any other hobby.

There are a lot of things i cant do with my own property. Indoor shooting range, whore house, loud music, park shit outside, have window coverings of unapproved colors, etc. My radio nerdness isnt anything special that it should be forcefully exempted.

And based on the letter sent off to the shitheads that claim to represent us in Washington, there are less than 20k suuch ham nerds. Id wager that a large percentage arent even active in radio. An even smaller number participates in any sort of emcomm. We get what, 20 check ins, if that, on the monday night aen-mar net? Legislating to the extreme fringe rarely makes sense or turns out as expected.

And to my point on fed vs state level on this matter, arizona just doesnt have the need for something like this. We have a LOT of quality mountain top repeaters, most with highly redundant power and linked coverage. Any ham with a handheld can reach out from the deepest of az basements easily enough. HF antennas are entirely a hobby/luxury around here when any and all emcomm we DO put into action is uhf/vhf anyway.

I could see some arguments in places where terrain, infrastructure, and disasters come together to actually show value, but its definitely not a one size fits all deal.

Homedad wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 63 of 64

Jump to: