Wednesday, October 17, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: bmbFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2057

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 146
Total: 146
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers!
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

So ever since Jessa and I got back from Cali, I've been complaining that Pumba's A/C is not working like it used to. Jessa on the other hand told me that it feels normal considering the temps we've had lately.
Well, today, wile on a drive, I started to really get annoyed by the fact that Jessa did not agree with me when I kept telling her that the A/C is going south, while we are basically arguing, I put my hand over her center a/c vent and WTF... its COLD!

So, the A/C vents on the passenger side work great, nice and cold, while the A/C vents on the driver side blow hot air. I never knew that the center dash vents are not connected, always thought they got the air from the same line...

Anyone hear of this problem before? I realize its just a vent door not opening but before I tear out the entire dash, does anyone have any input?

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Jagaliscious
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

That's weird. Are you sure they're separate? Maybe you have a blockage?

Angry_Tim wrote:
I have a nice crack about 8 inches long

Johanlee wrote:
Correctly grasp the narrow mountain road.
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

Start pulling shit down buy the kick panel...a duct came loose somewhere.
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

Jagaliscious wrote:
That's weird. Are you sure they're separate? Maybe you have a blockage?

Looking at factory diagrams, it looks like the two center dash vents are connected to the same line which is what I thought but my current situation tells me otherwise.

Blockage maybe but the air flow is the same out of both vents, just one is ice cold and one is warm. So the only blockage would be on the vent door but its the same door according to the factory diagrams... odd...

Homedad wrote:
Start pulling shit down buy the kick panel...a duct came loose somewhere.

This would be true if it where the side vents but we are talking about the two center dash vents, they are directly connected to the blower motor... according to the factory diagrams...

AZFJ#4

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

So here is a quick diagram from what I'm seeing...

The red and blue vents are the center dash vents on the air conditioning unit. According to the diagram, they have one door, can anyone confirm or deny this? Someone that has had their dash apart? Ether way, it does not explain how one can blow hot and one can blow cold...

It almost looks to me as if there are two a/c units in one. One for the driver and one for the passenger, which means I'm screwed...

AZFJ#4

Brian_Tiffani
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

This maybe a shot in the dark, but bear with me. I'm looking at the diagram you posted and I noticed that the heater lines feed into the driver's side. This tells me that more than likely the heater core is on the driver's side of the evaporator unit. We run into a problem all the time with the aftermarket AC units, for street rod applications, where the heater control valves are either faulty or leak. When this happens you get hot water flowing through the heater core which resides next to the ac evaporator core, causing the AC unit to not perform like it should. Maybe your hot/cold blend servo is faulty? Or the water valve is not working properly. I would get a thermometer in the vents first to get real data on the output temp and go from there.

edit: I would also try changing the door selector to maybe floor only or defrost vents and see what the air temp is on either side at those points. I'd treat it like an electrical problem and start fiddling around and deducting possibilities. ie: if you switch to floor and air is cold on both sides then you can think maybe it is a door problem. I would also try clamping off the heater inlet and run the AC and see if this resolves the issue. Basic trouble shooting needs to take place to reduce the possibilities.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to help Very Happy

All Pro Sliders
Custom roof rack basket
40" LED lightbar
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

Brian_Tiffani wrote:
This maybe a shot in the dark, but bear with me. I'm looking at the diagram you posted and I noticed that the heater lines feed into the driver's side. This tells me that more than likely the heater core is on the driver's side of the evaporator unit. We run into a problem all the time with the aftermarket AC units, for street rod applications, where the heater control valves are either faulty or leak. When this happens you get hot water flowing through the heater core which resides next to the ac evaporator core, causing the AC unit to not perform like it should. Maybe your hot/cold blend servo is faulty? Or the water valve is not working properly. I would get a thermometer in the vents first to get real data on the output temp and go from there.

edit: I would also try changing the door selector to maybe floor only or defrost vents and see what the air temp is on either side at those points. I'd treat it like an electrical problem and start fiddling around and deducting possibilities. ie: if you switch to floor and air is cold on both sides then you can think maybe it is a door problem. I would also try clamping off the heater inlet and run the AC and see if this resolves the issue. Basic trouble shooting needs to take place to reduce the possibilities.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to help Very Happy

I think you hit the nail on the head...

The truck is HOT on the driver side and COLD on the passenger side on all vents and all settings.

AZFJ#4

CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passenger Reply with quote

You could always just let Jess drive and be a kept (cool) man in the passenger seat! Wink

Hope B&T got it right if you can't stand to be chauffeured... Razz
Brian_Tiffani
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

Wow, that is strange. I really think if it's not too difficult to get to, I would block off the heater inlet hose in the engine compartment. (I'm not sure which of the 2 hoses that is on the FJ) and then see what happens. That will tell you if the heater is the culprit or not.

All Pro Sliders
Custom roof rack basket
40" LED lightbar
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

So I tried switching on and off the heat, hoping it will just fix itself but no such luck. Looks like I will have to tear into the dash and see whats going on.

So when the heater is on, all vents but out an astonishing 160-170 degrees. Switch to A/C and within one minute, all of the passenger vents go down to around 52 degrees but the driver side vents only reach about 80 degrees...

AZFJ#4

Brian_Tiffani
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

Well if it were me I would still just vise grip the heater hoses under the hood real quick and try it. 52 Degrees isn't all that cold for max air (maybe it is for the FJ?) I'm still curious if it has to do with the heater core being on the driver's side. Maybe the valve is leaking some hot water past but not completely failing wide open.

All Pro Sliders
Custom roof rack basket
40" LED lightbar
Brian_Tiffani
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

Here is another good photo of the ac unit. It shows what's going on inside. It appears the heater core is actually near the bottom of the evap core.

toyotawiringdiagrams.b...oning.html

All Pro Sliders
Custom roof rack basket
40" LED lightbar
Brian_Tiffani
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

Holy crap lets hope you don't have to go this far....

All Pro Sliders
Custom roof rack basket
40" LED lightbar
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

is the heater door closing all the way?? Sound to me like it is staying open a little and because it is on the driver side it is effecting that side more than the other.
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C has something against driver but loves its passengers! Reply with quote

I pinched off the heater hoses and... no change...

This is the actuator that controls the Heater door on the A/C Unit... looks like it works just fine, I can't see this being the issue.

Now, I should mention something odd that happened in San Fran. There was fog coming from the a/c vents on two occasions. We thought it was odd but just figured it was pulling something in from the outside...

AZFJ#4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: