Friday, May 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: LifestyleOverland
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1932

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 25
Total: 26
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: K9OL > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis

Oak Creek Homestead is another nice trail in the Sedona area. The trail ends near the creek with a nice rope swing into the water and historical homestead ruins nearby. One of the things that may make this trail more appealing than the others in the area is that it does not seem to be on the tourists lists. I've never seen a pink jeep or other tour jeep on this road. Not one of the more popular trails in the area but worth doing.

Group Size:

Groups should be limited to 10 or less. There are few places to easily turn around or let other traffic pass. However since the area isn't one of the more heavily trafficked trails a group of 10 would probably be ok.

Difficulty

2.5 - Most of the trail is very simple. There is one steep shelf road with large rocks that will need to be carefully navigated. A stock FJ should have no problem, but a-trac/rear lock will make getting back up a lot easier. 4wd is a must.

Length

~11 miles total

Just west of Sedona, AZ off of 89A on Red Rock Loop Rd.

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures

Typical trail conditions

The shelf road and only real "obstacle" on this trail. However there's only one way back out, so keep in mind you'll have to come back up this road.

back up

Picture from the homestead

Rope Swing!

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail

GPS Track

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Here's proof that a stock FJ will make it. With stock Dunlops.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Good stuff, tmac... anyone with a stock FJ should not be afraid of anything in Sedona! FJs rule!!!! Very Happy

Oh, and I thought I'd throw in a shot of some REAL rope swing action... not just posing with it. Wink

Laughing

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
Good stuff, tmac... anyone with a stock FJ should not be afraid of anything in Sedona! FJs rule!!!! Very Happy

Oh, and I thought I'd throw in a shot of some REAL rope swing action... not just posing with it. Wink

Laughing

Whatever that was part of the challenge!

Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

ok I heard that oak creek has some good fly fishing, anyone try it out.

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

I just ran this trail this past Saturday and I would say that the rating needs to be adjusted. It is listed here as a 2.5 trail and for almost all of it I would agree. The step section that is showed in this thread by the R2's and also by Angry_Tim is much more deteriorated than what is represented in the pictures. Now I don't have huge amounts of experience but going by the guidelines for the ratings I would say that this section of the trail is easily a 3.0, maybe even pushing a 3.5.

It was a great trail to run, and props to the R2's for the gpx that they uploaded. It was perfect. I didn't have an issue once about where to go.

I just wish I could find some history about this homestead. Does anyone know anything about it?
TrAiLbUs1
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

hope you took pics!

And yes Flyfishing on the creek is a great time

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

TrAiLbUs1 wrote:
hope you took pics!

And yes Flyfishing on the creek is a great time

Jake, i did take pics when I got down to Oak Creek but I wasn't intelligent enough to take pics of the "steps" part of the trail. I will post some of them later.
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

I was up in Sedona about a month or so ago and went to Oak Creek Homestead. It was maybe a little more deteriorated than when I was there last summer, but I didn't think it was much more than a 2.5. It's possible that it has taken a beating in the last month from weather and ding dongs spinning tires and digging out ruts. I've seen rented Jeeps out there and I bet some of those people have never been off road.
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Dang,

I should have picked this trail to run at Sedonafest maybe ill go up early on thursday and run it and do some swimming

usmc47
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

i ran this trail last Sunday Oct 21 2012 and it seems things have changed a bit. i entered the trail from 89a traveling north towards Sedona at the 9845b turn out. first thing i saw was a green Humvee with a newly engage couple in the back, yes my wife is nosey and talks to everyone. so it would seem that the tour groups, at least the green Humvees, have began using this area. that said though it was only the one i saw all day outa the total of 3 vics i had seen, other 2 were jeeps, not the tour kind. so from 9845b the first road you turn off 89a onto i just followed the main trail, passed a few turn outs then 9845b became 9845a and i kept following the main tracks. few more turn outs and 9845a becomes just 9845. about 5ish miles in is where u can make your first choice to either take 9845n or push to 9845h? you'll come to 9845n about a mile before 9845h. i would suggest taking 9845n, then on the way out 9845h makes it a lil more challenging going up 9845h then down. 9845h is just a short spur trail off 9845n to 9845. anyway as you travel down 9845n you'll come to a junction where 9845h meets up with 9845n, keep following 9845n. roughly 2 miles later you'll come to a pretty awesome vista view area where the tour jeeps all turn around and most people park and hike down from, including a Rubicon i ran into on the trail and encourage to follow me Very Happy . this is where the only real obstacles are on this trail. the rest any suv could handle lol. at this point the trail 9845n becomes 9845q if you continue down "the crack" is what the people there called it. its maybe 400 meters down before it become a pretty easy road again and there are about 3 spots on the crack that are a little tough and makes this trail a 2.5. going down is straight forward and took no effort. i would suggest you walk down the crack and back up before you decent to pick the lines you feel your rig can handle. with 3 inches of lift and 33's once i walked the trail and took mental notes of the lines i wanted i never slowed down or looked twice! going down i had the audience from the Rubicon as they hiked down behind me Cool was easy felt the rear inside tire come of the ground a few times but i'll chalk that up to the coil spacer lift and lack of flex. after that 400 meters of fun its a simple trail to the bottom, the homestead and oak creek. there's a trail 9845r at the bottom it follows the creek maybe a mile, i walked that with my dog, it just peters out into a walking trail and i dont know how far it goes after that. there's a creek crossing first thing u come to after the homestead ruins with 33's took no effort at all to cross, keep in mind i was the only vehicle down there so confidence in what i was doing was important, so if that a indicator of how easy i thought it was. i think a stock fj could do it as well with a little more work a spotter and maybe another vehicle around just in case. i do have the rear locker and atrac as well though Smile u can drive a little loop at the bottom and the ropeswing has seen better days looked pretty torn up and the deep part of the river there is now full of allege or seaweed whatever, so wasn't the most inviting. up stream where the crossing is the water is crystal clear and amazing. i sat there with the pup and let him play for awhile. great place to have a picnic and hangout and enjoy the beautiful landscape. if you cross the river there only about a half mile of trail before it turns into what looked like a horse trail, but worth it just to drive across the creek, plenty of room to turn around on the other side. for the trip back out the crack is the fun part! 4 wheel is a must and for manual trans guys like me the only option. pick your lines carefully and give it a go. i picked inside lines on the first and third tough spots cause the road is on the edge and kinda slants towards the drop off. the shoulder is kinda sketchy lose rock and not the most stable looking and i was solo without a winch in case i got in trouble, so stuck to the inside. made it up in one try without lockers or atrac never bottomed out or scraped an didn't need a spotter. wife was a lil nervous but once on top she was excited lol, i was too didn't think it be that easy. follow the same trail out and for more fun when you come to 9845h take that trail, 2 spots along that short spur that spice things up a lil, once back to 9845 i continued another few miles till the trail exits at lower red rock loop road. i went that way just to see where it went and found another paved road. if your like me i don't like to drive back though trails ive already been if i don't have too. once to lower red rock loop rd turn left about mile down you'll meet back up with 89a and turn left or south and a few miles down your right where u started. is it this trail worth doing? id say yeah specially if your out solo with just the family, and want a easy afternoon trip. i enjoyed it!

NEMISI5
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Nice write up, the few times ive been there ive only seen another vehicle there once, and that was a hummer. That was years ago when i had an isuzu vehicross. Very scenic and would be a great place to go camping.

MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Another trail dies.....

I ran several Sedona trails, including Oak Creek Homestead, a few days ago. The shelf road, which was really the only challenging thing about this trail, is no more. It appears that "they" took a bulldozer and dynamite to it...or whatever "they" do to destroy our playgrounds. Huge chunks of what used to be lots of rock steps lay along the side of the road which is now just a moderately steep rocky/bumpy dirt road. The destination at Oak Creek still makes this a fun run. It was lush and green, but only a few inches of water flowing.

New rating suggestion: 1.0 - 1.5
NEMISI5
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

God damnit....thats stupid.. now every redneck with half a brain and every tourist is going to try to go there now and trash the place.

Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead (Sedona, AZ) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Forest service road, they have the right to maintain them for access.
Sucks but it's life. I wouldn't be too concerned about the area being trashed as the off road tours ran that.

Just be happy that it is still open and you can drive down to the river.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up

Last edited by Angry_Tim on Mon May 20, 2013 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: