Friday, June 23, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KICKROCKS
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1942

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 33
Total: 33
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Saguaro Lake Coves?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Saguaro Lake Coves?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pack-smart
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

Hi folks:

Is anyone familiar with this area? I used my kayak taking off Butcher Jones on days off work several years ago, 97',-00' and have just recently ran some trails last month with simple climbs on dirt hills, but I have no idea where I should go. I went through the gate. After that...lost.

Anyone familiar with this area? Please help.
Kyouto42
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

The forest service is destroying the rolling hills OHV area by grading any of the fun obsticals (for no reason apparently other than to piss people off) and marking designated trails now. However, they also blocked off about 90% of all the other trails that have been used for years... but basically it's pretty easy to get around back there. I can show you around there a bit sometime if you want, though finding "designated" trails now is another story... it used to be really easy.

ZJFABN
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

google earth

Rc_maniac
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

I was just over there a couple weeks ago. made it back to 3 of the coves with no problems. we camped north of that area up by 4 peaks road.

Use google maps as mentioned above and make some navigation points on your GPS. Thats what I did and it helps out a lot.
lofreqjeff
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

I'll be heading to Butcher Jones sometime Saturday if anyone wants to join me. I have been going out there regularly for 7 or 8 years and I know that area very well.

Last time I went out there (Nov 17th) they has just put up the No Motor Vehicles signs everywhere:

We spoke with a Ranger and they said that, other than the public beach area, the only coves that were going to be accessable were the first 2 - and as far as we could tell, that is as far as we could go. All access to the other coves had those No Motor Vehicles signs up. I am curious to get back out there again and see if there have been any changes since Rc_maniac says they made it to the 3rd cove - I know many different ways to get to 6 coves back in there - if anything is now open that wasn't, we'll find it.
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

Not to start anything but signs can and will be ignored until the whole area gets shut down. Some people will feel that they are entitled to go where they want because they always have. Looks like the FS is trying to save what is left since some people cannot or do not respect the area.

I have only been out to the first cove once and have no desire to go back.
There was trash everywhere and piles of sh!t with TP as well.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
lofreqjeff
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
Not to start anything but signs can and will be ignored until the whole area gets shut down. Some people will feel that they are entitled to go where they want because they always have. Looks like the FS is trying to save what is left since some people cannot or do not respect the area.

I have only been out to the first cove once and have no desire to go back.
There was trash everywhere and piles of sh!t with TP as well.

Unfortunately I completely agree about people ignoring the signs - I say this all the time: It only takes 1 to ruin it for everyone else.

Those signs went up quickly after someone drove thier truck off the edge of one of the ridges at the first cove and killed himself and his passenger. But the FS had been saying for a while they were going to do something like this anyway.

The first cove is always the worst because it is fairly easy to get to, and its probably the biggest one. I have organized quite a few clean ups there over the years.It was decent when I was tou thre in November, but who knows what it looks like now. The other coves are not usually as bad as the first, but I have seem them pretty trashed too. The lack of respect for nature makes me sick, but unfortunately it happens everywhere. We were just out at 4Peaks a few weeks ago and it is SO trashed, I'm really surprised that area isn't shut down already.
pack-smart
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Saguaro Lake Coves? Reply with quote

Hi Jeff:

Thank you.

Please say hello to the chickie ladies in blue. They are not wheel spinners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: